Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beerbeer

State suplus up to 486 million dollars

22 posts in this topic

I wonder what the state could build for 486? Hmmm?

Of course, Bill would use the dough to bury a highway.

Vlad would build a space needle.

I know what Northland would do.

Maybe a better thread would be a poll of what to do with the surplus...

DEFINITELY COMMUTER RAIL FIRST!!!!!!

Send all the shows to the meadows until the commuter rail is built!

THEN arena second.

Hmm..

$486 Million? In my thinking it is not the STATE SURPLUS, but LEGALIZED STEALING from the THEIVES in Hartford. I would give it back to the citizens of Connecticut,

Jim, that would give people like $100. I'd rather donate that money and get an arena out of it....

MadVlad:

True, however, I just hope they'll (the legislature and Rell) decide to reduce spending and taxes - and also kick MSG out of the HCC and tell the CDA to get off their ASSES and help Larry get a NHL team! :)

JimS

MadVlad:

(Sorry, Mikel, for bring up useless Florida crap) I think Larry should take a look at the area surrounding the St. Pete Times Forum, he should look at the Channelside district and help incorperate an area around the new arena.

Hartford has potential and Larry would be a hero for NH fans - and if he could create a family atmosphere for the new arena. Here, (sorry Mikel :) more useless Florida crap!) near the forum, we have a LIBERTY Ship from WW II (The replica of the OnRust sailing the CT River, anyone?), the Florida Aquarium (The Science Museum would be nice for part of the activites) and a trolly (I wish the monorail was built!). I would love to see the Whalers and the Lightning have a game -- next Hurricane Game here, I'm going to bring a banner reading; 'When's the next Whalers vs lightning Game??'

JimS

Jim, that would give people like $100. I'd rather donate that money and get an arena out of it....

I am all for building a new arena and improving the transportation infrastructure. As for MSG and the CDA, I obtained a copy of their agreement signed several years ago. MSG was to bring two exhibition games (1 NHL and 1 NBA) to Hartford each year and was also to televise a majority of AHL games in Hartford. MSG has done neither! Why should the CDA enter into a long term agreement with them? Why hasn't the CDA enforced the existing agreement?

I am all for building a new arena and improving the transportation infrastructure. As for MSG and the CDA, I obtained a copy of their agreement signed several years ago. MSG was to bring two exhibition games (1 NHL and 1 NBA) to Hartford each year and was also to televise a majority of AHL games in Hartford. MSG has done neither! Why should the CDA enter into a long term agreement with them? Why hasn't the CDA enforced the existing agreement?

Actually, the LAST Whalers game was a Whalers Lightning game. And I'd like to see a replica of Farragut's U.S.S. Hartford....

Just remember that those surpluses and deficits are really only on paper and come & go VERY fast. Its not like there are 486 bigguns in burlap sacks down in the Capitol basement. Also, if you look you will see that there are budget SHORTFALLS projected out into the future that wipe this out.

Regardless, BUILD AN ARENA ANYWAY

The bell from the USS Hartford is tucked in a corner of Constitution Plaza. A few years ago I had a letter published in The Courant saying this bell should be put on display somewhere so people can enjoy it and learn about Hartford's history with that famouse quote, as most people probably have no idea about the quote, let alone the bell. A rebuttle letter was written by the captain of the Mark Twain river boat. He said the bell should stay there and be hidden so only a few people can be around it. He said he enjoyed "spending time with it" in quiet during his lunch hour. Weird.

The bell from the USS Hartford is tucked in a corner of Constitution Plaza. A few years ago I had a letter published in The Courant saying this bell should be put on display somewhere so people can enjoy it and learn about Hartford's history with that famouse quote, as most people probably have no idea about the quote, let alone the bell. A rebuttle letter was written by the captain of the Mark Twain river boat. He said the bell should stay there and be hidden so only a few people can be around it. He said he enjoyed "spending time with it" in quiet during his lunch hour. Weird.

Hmmm...

An Idea!! How about a replica of the OnRust, USS Hartford and the last steamboat the New Haven used?

JimS