The T

atlrvr

I'm starting a new topic to discuss future improvements to the Red, Green, Orange, Blue and Silver lines, as well as Commuter Rail. If this thread picks up speed, I may break each line out into its own thread.

To start with, yesterday, the MBTA announced a $334M plan to upgrade service on the Red, Green, Orange, and Blue lines. It will includes ADA compliance, parking lot addition and renovations, and track and electrical improvements.

These upgrades, once complete, will allow speed restrictions on each of the lines to be raised, and therefore increase the speed of service.

Article on MBTA website

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like the MBTA is playing hardball with Seimans, for the delivery of the long overdue Blue Line replacement cars.

per the Boston Globe

The MBTA's plan to replace its aging Blue Line fleet is nearly three years behind schedule because of repeated delays and problems with the first of 94 new cars, including leaking doors and smoking air-conditioning systems.

Yesterday, the T's top official sent a fiery letter to the manufacturer, Siemens Transportation Systems, demanding a firm schedule for delivery of the new cars and threatening to freeze payments on the $174 million contract.

I wish the T would get the Orange Line up to speed. It seems forever they have been upgrading the signals from Sullivan Square to Oak Grove which means the evening trains stop at Sullivan Squre or Wellington Circle around 9PM. Then you have to take a bus to Malden and Oak Grove.

Recently we entertained out of town friends at Harvard Square. We would have taken the Orange Line to the Red Line; however, the return evening trip would have been a hassle so we drove instead.

Has anyone boarded an inbound Green Line train at an above ground station in the past week? The new CharlieTicket readers and fare collection machine is SO *$&%!@&^% slow. I know they want people to start using the CharlieCard, but that's just not very realistic considering the large college population that pays cash.

The machines take at least 3-4 times as long per passenger to operate and it has slowed my evening inbound trip by 20 minutes!!!!!!

Worst idea, ever.

Has anyone boarded an inbound Green Line train at an above ground station in the past week? The new CharlieTicket readers and fare collection machine is SO *$&%!@&^% slow. I know they want people to start using the CharlieCard, but that's just not very realistic considering the large college population that pays cash.

The machines take at least 3-4 times as long per passenger to operate and it has slowed my evening inbound trip by 20 minutes!!!!!!

Worst idea, ever.

Completely agree....I know this has to be driving everyone else crazy. I rode the 39 bus this morning instead of taking the E line inbound, because I got sick of waiting in the cold for the now much less frequent service (due to much longer boarding times) and the disdain at sitting at each station for 5 minutes to let 20 people try to figure out the new, slower system.

IF people start using the new rechargable cards, it will speed things up, but I'm not hopeful.

It's truly amazing how long it's taking for people to learn how to use the fareboxes.

Couple that with the "I'm not even going to think about where my pass/ticket is until I'm in front of the farebox" mentality, and you have a complete disaster.

I can't wait to see the B-Line completely fail under the stress of the end of Show-And-Go combined with the discontinuation of free outbound service on the surface.

The BU students will spend 20 minutes boarding the train (and standing directly in front of the only door that opens) so they can ride the train from BU Central to BU West. :rolleyes:

Edited by DoctorGonzo

What's the problem with the trolleys exactly? I thought these were tap and go, i.e. you just need to wave the card infront of the sensor. In New York buses are a pain because you have to dip the cards, you slide it in a slot on the farebox and it sucks it in like an ATM then spits it back out at you. So everyone boarding the bus has to stand and wait to get thier pass spit back out at them. Plus it only goes in one certain way, so newbies are all the time putting it in wrong. And of course the same, "I've been standing at the bus stop for 15 minutes, it never dawned on me to use that time to get my pass out," mentality is rampant in New York.

It's a disaster....on the E, people get on, and stare blankly at the new fare box...I saw a guy trying to shove his CharlieTicket into the dollar bill slot.

I agree that the big problem in all of this is that College Students are the least likely portion of the riders to use new CharlieCard (paying with Cash or passes) and it takes it sooooooooo long with the new system.

The drivers cracked down the first couple of days to get everyone paying, but now some are back to the same old ways, just to get people on. The line backs up so far at the stations that they can never close the doors, because it takes so long to load the train that a steady stream of riders keeps lining up to get on.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article about selling off land around the Forest Hills Orangle Line state in today's Herald. There will be nieghborhood meetings, and the BRA will organize the planning.

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessN...rticleid=176108

The general goal is to get more housing and green space there, with the neighbors wanting sustainable,/enviro friendly design.

Another T story, this time from the Globe:

Group seeks debt relief for the T [The Boston Globe]

A coalition of lawmakers and public interest groups plan s to file legislation tomorrow requiring the state to take over a portion of the MBTA's debt, allowing the transit agency to become less dependent on fare increases and to spend more on maintaining the rail and bus system and improving service.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure these have ever been posted, but on the new MBTA website, there are lots of renderings of the station rehabs.

I'll post the Green Line first.

Kenmore (renovations include a new bus canopy and full elevetaor and escalator access to the Green Line)

KenmoreCanopy.jpg

KenmoreModel.jpg

Copley (renovations will include elevtor access for both inbound and outbound)

copley_outboundheahouse2.jpg

Copley_elevator_Outbound_headhouse.jpg

Copley_inbound_elevator2.jpg

Arlington (renovations include elevator access to mezzanine....not sure how much that does, as it still doesn't allow wheelchair access to the platforms)

Arlington_modelelevation.jpg

Government Center (renovations include new entry at Govt. Center Plaza and a new entrance next to JFK federal buildings that will have direct access to the Blue Line)

Government_center_cityhall.jpg

government_center.jpg