RDU International Airport

Rufus

I'm rather taken aback by that rendering as well. You mean that dinky little box of an outdated building that they call "Terminal C" is going to end up looking like that?! Impressive.

Now they just need to build a people mover and link it up with the TTA rail line... :)

• 1 month later...

This terminal will actually be a consolidation of Terminal A and Terminal C once completed essentially creating one terminal. Although it is not a hub, it is a large point to point terminal as far as traffic and continues to grow. Most of this redevelopment was to accomodate new security regulations and tailor it to point to point travel-it was originally set up as a hub type airport but that is an outdated model for this airport.

What are the future plans to connect Terminals A and C after 2012?

Wishful thinking would be the same thing that connects a nearby TTA rail station.

I thought there was a moving walkway between the two. Did they close that off or something?

And I seriously doubt they'd get rid of Terminal A since that'd render the tarmacs on that side of the airport useless. Terminal A was expanded a couple times also. It takes up the former Terminal B building as well as its own. They'll just renovate the buildings to look more modern.

Edited by MR-2

I thought there was a moving walkway between the two. Did they close that off or something?

And I seriously doubt they'd get rid of Terminal A since that'd render the tarmacs on that side of the airport useless. They'll just renovate the buildings to look more modern.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The walkway and people mover is still there and the connection is on the bottom floor of the parking deck. It is quite nice as I took it 2 weeks ago. No need to connect the terminals with brick and morter, the pathway with people mover is great.

The walkway and people mover is still there and the connection is on the bottom floor of the parking deck.  It is quite nice as I took it 2 weeks ago.  No need to connect the terminals with brick and morter, the pathway with people mover is great.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. The terminals are surprisingly close together.

I do think it's funny that connecting Term's A & B meant that we had to drop the "B". So now we have "A" and "C" with no "B" in the middle. Very odd.

I read someplace that RDU actually has more originating flights than does CLT, which has more total flights because of the hub. I was surprised at first, but it makes sense when you think about RTP.

I've heard that too. This could be that RDU serves the entire eastern part of the state beyond the Triangle. Also people from the Triad and even Charlotte fly out of RDU because of significantly lower fares. Charlotte has the most insane ticket prices-my mother's company had the employees in Charlotte drive all the way to RDU to fly to a conference.

Just because it isn't a hub doesn't mean it isn't busy. I read somewhere that in 2002 it had 11 million passengers go through. that number was to increase dramatically, and today i think RDU is in the top 50 busiest airports in the country. I wouldn't doubt because of RTP and other major business centers.

Yep, that's right.  And once terminal C is finished they will begin work on the construction of the new Terminal A. Which is supposed to handle the increasing number of international flights. Slate to open in 2012.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Terminal A is a long way from being torn down and rebuilt. The new terminal which I think will be called Terminal 1, will be built to a certain size and then they built out as they grow. I believe all flights will move to this terminal.

My guess is terminal A will become a service UPS/Fed Ex terminal or torn down. Not sure how much cargo they do out of RDU when UPS/FED Ex and DHL are not included. I don't think it is a big lift airport like others, with so much of the international mfg gone and much of that was sent to Charleston/Norfolk and put on ships (Tobacco, furniture, etc) . Some is still left in eastern NC, but not much "time sensitive" stuff like PCs, tech equipment where the margins drive "JIT" logistic systems. Most of the stuff today will go by the big 3 (FedEx/UPS/DHL) for US shipments. My guess is the first phase of Terminal 1 will be in 2008/2009 and the will build on this terminal until 2020.

Depending on demand, will decide on how many gates they can fill. They could use more gates now, but the problem is we are running out of carriers. I would like to see Southwest to continue to grow to a mini-hub but they were eyeing down and still may be, Charlotte for that. (Now USAir is alive, maybe not). I would like to see Frontier Airlines come in as we need direct flights to Denver (RDU lost the UAL direct 50 seater). Another possibility is Jet Blue, but the NYC/RDU travel lane is full of competition now. We especially need direct flights to Denver, LAX, San Jose and San Fran.

As for the comment on international flights, I don't see RDU being a large international destination/point and question if we will ever get another large flight in the next 15 years. (does not include junkets to Freeport or San Juan) With the airlines consolidated, that become less and less of a chance. They are shoring up, cutting costs and driving everything they can to hubs they will keep. One of the likely choices of direct flight is Frankfurt, but the airlines have that so wrapped up out of their current hubs, it is doubtful.

We don't have the size needed for Asia as well as airlines sweep west to pick up people for those flights (LAX, ORD, Detroit, SFA, Seattle) with the few Asian east coast flights out of the big hubs Atlanta and JFK. I fly a lot and around the world and would love more direct international flights but we are lucky to have this ones we have like RDU-->LGW which is full of Eskers, IBMers, Body Shoppers and others. We would have to be a hub again........but I don't see that happening. But who knows what will happen in the next 15 years.

I've heard that too. This could be that RDU serves the entire eastern part of the state beyond the Triangle. Also people from the Triad and even Charlotte fly out of RDU because of significantly lower fares. Charlotte has the most insane ticket prices-my mother's company had the employees in Charlotte drive all the way to RDU to fly to a conference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, so true, it is amazing how many people fly out of RDU and even stay here taht come from Virginia. I fly a good bit and talk to several people and many are from New Bern, Kinston or Wilmington.

I've always wondered why RDU needs so many gates when there is no hub located there anymore.  Terminal C is certainly nice looking but I would have rather they spent the money on something else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the new terminal is a good idea. Again, I travel quite a bit and have flown into many of the US and intenational airports. The first impression business people see isthe airport. It does say something about your area and how business operates and how much business is there. I think terminal C is very tired and buillt like a hub, not a regional airport. They still have the AA posters with Paris on the wall that they put up in 1989. Look up and you will see the faded banners from the mid 1980's. Yes, they could update TermC, but they looked hard and long at this and went back and forth on if they should remodel A or C. C won and it will be torn down. Even airports like Tucson are at least new and updated and we have 5 times the flights. It has been said before, the parking garage is the nicest thing out there. Walking to the grage and geting out of the garage is like a big airport experience, then when you get in the terminal, it is old and haggard. Good for travel, but does not give off that 1st class city feel like maybe Denver, Detroit (the airport) or even Tucson.

Good for travel, but does not give off that 1st class city feel like maybe Denver, Detroit (the airport) or even Tucson.

Its amazing that everytime I fly into the Denver I always feel energized no matter how tired I am. There is something about the design of the place that does this.

Its amazing that everytime I fly into the Denver I always feel energized no matter how tired I am. There is something about the design of the place that does this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also fly to Denver a lot and the same guy who designed DIA is designing RDU. He is a native North Carolianian. I like the high ceilings. The plan looks like the new airports in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Detroit.