RDU International Airport

Rufus

Actually, one of the major reasons that Term C is being redesigned is to increase security capacity for post 9/11 travel. This is a major problem with RDU now, as it was designed 20+ years ago with no consideration for the type of security we have now. The current setup limits passenger flow into the terminal.

Actually, one of the major reasons that Term C is being redesigned is to increase security capacity for post 9/11 travel.  This is a major problem with RDU now, as it was designed 20+ years ago with no consideration for the type of security we have now.  The current setup limits passenger flow into the terminal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, I do not think we are back or even that close to late 1990's traffic amounts at RDU when Midway had the hub. I remember riding to work and it was stop and go on I-40 and everyday, I would see 5 to 7 planes landing/taking off. It would take 45 minutes to an hour to get to work. It did have more of city feel to it. Now I get there in 25 and lucky to see one plane. That is what happens when so many companies go under and your biggest employers in the park get rid of 7K-10K jobs each................

• 2 weeks later...

]

I think Terminal A is a long way from being torn down and rebuilt. The new terminal which I think will be called Terminal 1, will be built to a certain size and then they built out as they grow. I believe all flights will move to this terminal.

There was a story in TBJ about the renovation of Terminal A as a low-fare carrier terminal.

Story

]

There was a story in TBJ about the renovation of Terminal A as a low-fare carrier terminal.

Story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have always wanted Southwest to make Raleigh a mini-hub but what I understand, they were waiting for US Air to fail and go under and then pounce on Charlotte for that. Maybe now that USAir and America West are back and Charlotte is definitely in thier plans, they will take a look at RDU. But they like it cheap so they may say do nothing to the terminal or do it on your own $$$. We have a decent numbers of SW flights but we also have a lot business travel that will not use SW.

• 5 months later...

Virgin Airlines is looking at possibly expanding service to RDU.

Story

Actually it is Virgin America, is the startup airline backed by Virgin Atlantic Airlines founder and billionaire Richard Branson. The airline's application to provide service in the United States lists RDU as one of nearly 40 markets the carrier "would potentially be interested in serving."

We've been on these lists before, the article mentions JetBlue as a recent example, so don't join the Branson fan club yet.

JB

I hope they get the airline up and running. I think they will but it looks like the other airline's lobbying may have held it up and continue to do so. There have been some good articles in The Financial Times on the airline and the quest to "get off the ground."

It is always "pretty cool" to fly into an airport somewhere in the world (NY and worldwide) and see a Virgin plane. And it all started from a record company. (Although VAmerican will have mostly US ownership)

An RDU flight could connect VAmerican with VAtlantic out of DC and NY. VAtlantic offers good prices on international flights and also offer 3 class services. Not to mention they have flights to Cape Town and Johannesburg via London at a certain service level.

I wonder where the hubs would be? SFC and NYC if they hook a deal with the Virgin mothership or maybe they have a more central airport in the middle of the US? STL, DFW and ORD/CHI appear to be almost full? Probably more direct flights between cities while feeding international flights? Not sure. Also, I bet if VAmerican gets off the ground, their next step would be to start direct flights to Asia from the US instead of flying the opposite way through London? Opens up the huge US to Asia market for them?

Too many questions???? . ......with the biggest....Will RDU be able to fill an Airbus a couple of times a day? Maybe to SFA? My guess is the US airlines will fight them all the way just to get a plane in the air. To much at stake for the US airlines.

Edited by Subway Scoundrel

Something I noticed the other day at the airport is that there's an extra, unused tunnel under one of the taxiways, to the right of the main tunnel going into Terminal A. See it here.

I wonder what this tunnel is for... future terminal expansion? Bike path to the airport? (yeah, right.) People mover? Busway? Your guess is as good as mine.

Something I noticed the other day at the airport is that there's an extra, unused tunnel under one of the taxiways, to the right of the main tunnel going into Terminal A. See it here.

I wonder what this tunnel is for... future terminal expansion? Bike path to the airport? (yeah, right.) People mover? Busway? Your guess is as good as mine.

How about service equipment ?

JB

I had read a couple of weeks ago that RDU has decided to completely demolish Terminal C rather than salvage/renovate the South Concourse. I think the price tag is up to $500 million. I would rather them rebuild the whole thing than do it half-azzed.

The tunnel is where the old Airport Blvd passed under the taxiway. It was moved to the northwest tunnel (built later I think) to accomodate the 5 or so lanes of the newer road. I believe the old one was 2 lanes, and that was before they had the current one-way loop arrangement. I think they made the switch about 15-20 years ago even before the Airport Blvd/Aviation Pkwy interchange was done. Back then they still had the old Triangle Inn Motel :).

To answer the mystery to why there is a Terminal C and Terminal A. When the airport was designed there were plans to have 3 terminals. Terminal A and C on opposite sides(the current configuration) and terminal B would be where the current control tower sits. Its runways would've overlapped perpendicularly to the current runways or just merge with the other two. This was scratched from the original plans and was to be used for future development.

It would be something for the airport to eventually need a 3rd terminal, but I don't think it would ever happen.

Edited by pack-man

To answer the mystery to why there is a Terminal C and Terminal A. When the airport was designed there were plans to have 3 terminals. Terminal A and C on opposite sides(the current configuration) and terminal B would be where the current control tower sits. Its runways would've overlapped perpendicularly to the current runways or just merge with the other two. This was scratched from the original plans and was to be used for future development.

It would be something for the airport to eventually need a 3rd terminal, but I don't think it would ever happen.

Don't say never, remember when RDU talked about building a 3rd runway. It still may happen! :)

The tunnel in question is for emergency and maintenance vehicles. It was constructed when Taxiway "E" was constructed and has never been used. The airport is currently constructing services road on either side of the tunnel to connect the terminal area with the maintenanace facility.

Edited by PAVANC

The tunnel in question is for emergency and maintenance vehicles. It was constructed when Taxiway "E" was constructed and has never been used. The airport is currently constructing services road on either side of the tunnel to connect the terminal area with the maintenanace facility.

That meens that jlblaes and I both recieve a gold star for the day :D

I don

That is what I meant, Terminal B is in the north section and was to wrap around to the west where the control tower is. It never materialized and Terminal A eventually engulfed B. B was never built onto.

I am a little older and have lived here for 35 years but I remember the old Terminal B and also remember the motel that sat right in front of Terminal A. There was a ground parking lot right in front and a older motel.

• 4 weeks later...

They broke ground on the actual construction of the new Terminal C today, the 20 year anniversary of the opening of the 10,000 ft. runway on the west side of the airport.

Terminal C Breaks Ground

Part of the new terminal is expected to open for business in 2008, with all 35 gates available by 2010. Air Canada, American, American Eagle and United airlines will remain in Terminal C, while Delta, Continental, Northwest, US Airways, America West are scheduled to move to C from Terminal A.