RDU International Airport

Rufus

This will be a great addition to RDU!

I agree with the others about the Euro airlines. I've flown a few of them and have always been impressed at how wonderful the flights have been. When flying to Europe, I always choose a Euro airline when I can instead of an American one.

A half-an-hour flight on Air France consisted of a poached salmon lunch with a bottle of wine.

Yea Air France can do this because the don't clean the outside of there planes.. EVER!! haha :shades: Its always fun to look at pictures of Air France because unless it just came from the factory chances are it looks gray rather than white.. (Please no flaming here its just a friendly joke)

As for Virgin America I think they'll be more like a jetblue situtation for RDU. It'll be a few years before we see them if they do decide to come to RDU. I could be wrong however I just don't see Virgin America starting up the first route between RDU and the bay area. If they do I'll be more than happy to eat my words. I'd expect Virgin America to hit all the big markets first concentrating in the three major areas of the country: west coast, new england, and florida, along with your few in the middle.

A quick peek at Delta's newly uploaded summer schedule shows a revival of the saturation of 757 service from RDU to Atlanta (7x 757, 1x MD88, 2x CRJ). In comparison, right now that route is at 4x 757, 3x MD88, 1x CRJ700). Good to see capacity increasing on many routes as of late.

Edited by blueheronNC

Yea it is definitely nice to see so many 757s back on the schedule. I've be sad with so few from Delta for the last few years. At the peak before 9/11 RDU had 11 scheduled each day... quite amazing to me at least. I'm really excitied about how many more seat are now avaiable to passengers.

On a different note last year we actually had a small decrease in cargo operations. I would have thought it would have been a small increase but I guess not... I'm a little concerned that once GSO's hub opens in 2009 wheather or not RDU will still see its A300s and A310s. If all trucks can be routed from the RDU trucking hub to the GSO air hub it will definitely impact cargo service out of RDU for Fedex. Lets hope for the best.

From my perspective, I don't care whether my packages get loaded on the plane at RDU or GSO. All I care is that my packages get there. And heck, fewer cargo flights out of RDU may mean less revenue for the airport, but it could potentially mean more spaces for passenger flights (which does affect me).

B'sides, seems GSO is a bit underused of late. Perhaps they can concentrate on cargo, while RDU concentrates on passengers. Works for me.

The filthiest planes (inside) I have ever been on are from US Air. I found a half-eaten sandwhich in the magazine sleeve once

and always find used water bottles from previous flights.

I just flew a United leg from RDU to Chicago on my way to the west coast and I had never been on a plane that bad. Dirty, falling apart, tray table was all busted up. It was a mesa air flight. Shows what kind of cost crunch the big boys (DELTA, US Air, united) have put on their smaller carriers.

A guy from Italty was beside me and we were laughing as we hoped the plane would get there without falling apart.

Air Canada targets the Triangle for new program that would allow unlimited flights between Toronto and RDU for a flat monthly fee.

Air Canada Plan

It's interesting that they would target RDU as the first airport to pilot this program. If it is successful, it could mean great things in the future for RDU and the Traingle.

^ That's gotta be targeted at Nortel execs primarily. I believe their HQ is in Toronto, and of course they have significant operations in RTP.

It is also the hub into Eastern Canada. Today they fly a small plane. I took it a few years ago and it appeared to be Nortel guys, software guys from smaller companies, vacationers like myself, and people trying to get to other places in Eastern Canada. Plane was pretty packed but small. Good service.

Here is a story on Virgin Americas' plans for flights. I was trying to find the link to where you can vote for the next city for Virgin America to fly too. I found it in this article but the voting is over. Day late Dollar Short.. <_<

http://www.virginamerica.com/informationde....php?article=34

The best thing will be the In flight Entertainment center...

Virgin America recently unveiled its onboard cabin, including first class seats with 55 inches of seat pitch (legroom) and massage chairs, as well as mood lighting and a digital inflight entertainment system providing on-demand moves and TV, games, music and online chat rooms and even self-service mini-bars for snacks and beverages available throughout the flight.

Sweet... And their fares will compete with Jet Blue and Southwest.

Edited by Cary NC

Here is a story on Virgin Americas' plans for flights. I was trying to find the link to where you can vote for the next city for Virgin America to fly too. I found it in this article but the voting is over. Day late Dollar Short.. <_<

http://www.virginamerica.com/informationde....php?article=34

The best thing will be the In flight Entertainment center...

Virgin America recently unveiled its onboard cabin, including first class seats with 55 inches of seat pitch (legroom) and massage chairs, as well as mood lighting and a digital inflight entertainment system providing on-demand moves and TV, games, music and online chat rooms and even self-service mini-bars for snacks and beverages available throughout the flight.

Sweet... And their fares will compete with Jet Blue and Southwest.

Sounds Great!

If this is the case, I will certainly check with them first for any flight I may take. I hope they blow the competition out of the water enough to where the other airlines are forced to compete with VA's level of service if they are to keep from going under. A shame it actually takes a British billionaire to bring Americans such a great level of service.

Sounds Great!

If this is the case, I will certainly check with them first for any flight I may take. I hope they blow the competition out of the water enough to where the other airlines are forced to compete with VA's level of service if they are to keep from going under. A shame it actually takes a British billionaire to bring Americans such a great level of service.

They have a strong management team. This will be a big bonus for them, especially when competing with JetBlue.

• 1 month later...

we are going to have one messed up lookin airport for a while until Terminal A gets a makeover.

Can you imagine flying into RDU and seeing the Blue Monster and the Silver Bullet? UGH!! I only imagine want thoughts will run thru people's minds that are new to the area. Can we at least paint the Blue Monster silver.

Sweet pics though of terminal C, soon to be Terminal 2.

• 1 month later...