RDU International Airport

Rufus

Just browsing the internet, I saw something of interest that I wanted to get some feedback on..

Research Triangle Regional Partners (RTRP) has an article released in 2005 with their 5-year strategy of additional service to RDU...

So far, the following destinations have come online from their strategy:

LAX, DEN, MCI, SAT, JAX*, MKE*, SDF*, CUN, NAS, Freeport,

the following destinations are still in limbo:

SFO, SAN, SEA, MHT, ALB*, BUF*, ISP*, PBI*, FRA^, YUL

So, what's the concensus for those still in limbo? Will we get the service? Who are the likely carriers?

*RTRP proposed these to be RJ routes

^RTRP will push for this destination with the most emphasis

Just browsing the internet, I saw something of interest that I wanted to get some feedback on..

Research Triangle Regional Partners (RTRP) has an article released in 2005 with their 5-year strategy of additional service to RDU...

So far, the following destinations have come online from their strategy:

LAX, DEN, MCI, SAT, JAX*, MKE*, SDF*, CUN, NAS, Freeport,

the following destinations are still in limbo:

SFO, SAN, SEA, MHT, ALB*, BUF*, ISP*, PBI*, FRA^, YUL

So, what's the concensus for those still in limbo? Will we get the service? Who are the likely carriers?

*RTRP proposed these to be RJ routes

^RTRP will push for this destination with the most emphasis

I'd say that if they are pushing for service to FRA, that could have major implications for this area. Frankfurt is the biggest international banking hub of Europe.

I'd say that if they are pushing for service to FRA, that could have major implications for this area. Frankfurt is the biggest international banking hub of Europe.

There are lots of ties already with Frankfurt and Germany including many pharmaceutical, financial, and software companies to name a few. But I would not expect anything coming from it until 2009 or 2010 once both terminals are complete...

SFO (San Fran.) is going to be coming online its just a matter of time. There is a good chance that RDU will pick up service from Virgin America within the next half a year and this would result in service to SFO. My source is pretty reliable, however this was still spectulation so don't take it as fact quite yet.

FRA I still don't see for another 5 or 6 years. If it came any sooner than that I would expect that it would be on a 737 BBJ that had the extra fuel tank install for the longer transatlantic range. Houston used to have such a flight with Lufthansa out to FRA but I'm not sure if they still do or not. I just don't see any airlines putting a widebody on this route right now. Hopefully with the opening of Terminal 2 (C right now) this all may change.

SAN (san deigo) and SEA (seattle) are both a hopeful dream but no one is going to jump on these routes for probably 4 or 5 years. I don't see a big enough demand to warrant a non-stop from RDU. However I know RDUAA (airport authority) will be working towards getting them so good luck to them and RDU.

Overall I'm very excitied about this year at RDU. The expansion here is amazing and I look forward to seeing more soon.

Just read on another board that Delta will have it's Crown Room in Terminal C, slightly larger than the one in Terminal A. They will also be opening it when they move to Terminal C. Will this be on the concourse level or on the mezzanine level.

I also know American will have their AAdmirals Club on Terminal A, but know no specifics on size, amenities, but it will be on the mezzanine level.

Still unsure about US location, but if I remember correctly they will be moving later.

So, any news? Does a slightly larger CR mean we could see more international flights besides CUN on DL?

Terminal A for AAdmiral club? Do you mean Terminal C? I personally think Delta has more space to work with so they decided to go with a larger room. I don't think it has much to do with any future expansion at RDU. They already have a good size operation here at RDU so I could see them having a larger room just because of that.

Terminal A for AAdmiral club? Do you mean Terminal C? I personally think Delta has more space to work with so they decided to go with a larger room. I don't think it has much to do with any future expansion at RDU. They already have a good size operation here at RDU so I could see them having a larger room just because of that.

Ahh.. you are right. Terminal C.. uhh.. Terminal 2.. plus, now that I think about it.. it doesn't matter since Terminal 2 will be CUTE. Also, remember that DCR will be used by DL, CO, and NW. I'm sure they could use the room.. but it's good to see they are not closing it.

So... about Virgin America at RDU.. :-) Could we expect an announcement by Easter?

I've heard that there is the possibility that they (Virgin America) will make an announcement by the end of the year. I know RDU is on their list, however i just don't know exactly where we sit on it, so there is the possibility that we won't have them by that time. So just keep your eyes and ears open, because I have a good feeling about this one.

Well, ExpressJet has done it..

RDU loses Louisville (SDF) service, as well as a drop in Kansas City (MCI) and San Antonio (SAT) by 1 flight. This leaves RDU with 10 daily departures instead of 13. ExpressJet noted that the East Coast is not performing as well as the West Coast. Hmmm.. I think there are still markets they could open on the east Coast.. Charleston, Norfolk, Syracuse, Buffalo, Providence, Sarasota, etc...

Raleigh-Durham has put out their aircraft route wish list...

SFO still tops (and wanted by Christmas)

SEA, SAN, and PVD are the remainder. There was a hit that AS was looking at SEA but not in the near future until they connect some other East Coast markets first (probably PHL, ATL, FLL first)..

How are the other West Coast flights doing?

DEN is at 91% LF since inception and UA is pleased

LAX is at 68% LF, but yields are above expectations and DL is pleased.

Well, ExpressJet has done it..

RDU loses Louisville (SDF) service, as well as a drop in Kansas City (MCI) and San Antonio (SAT) by 1 flight. This leaves RDU with 10 daily departures instead of 13. ExpressJet noted that the East Coast is not performing as well as the West Coast. Hmmm.. I think there are still markets they could open on the east Coast.. Charleston, Norfolk, Syracuse, Buffalo, Providence, Sarasota, etc...

Man that's too bad. I wonder how long before AA drops SDF. I wonder what they'll do with those planes if they do stop. Will they use them on other RDU routes or move them somewhere else?

I'm sure they'll probably move the aircraft somewhere else if/when AA drops SDF. They usually are in need of a few aircraft somewhere, so I'd expect that if the route is ended they move somewhere but I wouldn't expect AA to open up a new route just to use aircraft that used to be on an ended RDU route.

^Too bad we still don't have the SFO flight. We are flying in the Vice President of R&D for Genentech for our symposium next month and we couldn't book a direct flight unfortuntately-kind of embarrassing.

SFO would be nice but I would think San Jose would be a better option. I know numerous people who make that flight with stops in either ORD or DFW.

SFO would be nice but I would think San Jose would be a better option. I know numerous people who make that flight with stops in either ORD or DFW.

I think the opposite. To me, SFO would be better because it is centralized between SJC and OAK and would be able to encompass all 3 areas...

I used to think San Jose, but that route just doesn't seem to work for RDU. Midway flew it for a short time and then AA added it but never actually flew the route because ticket sales were too low so it was discontinued. I'm going to side with ERJ170 and says that SFO would be the better choice. Also SFO would all RDU to have another nonstop to a Pacific gateway airport. This would help loads on flights to the bay area while San Jose wouldn't as much. I feel some would still rather do a one stop to SFO rather than fly to San Jose and then transit to SFO to catch an international flight.