RDU International Airport

Rufus

Bummer for RDU. Yeah, I used to live in Columbus. It's sort of the oasis in an otherwise dying state. Columbus itself is pretty damn vibrant and constantly growing. Pretty similar to the Triangle actually.

Alas, it looks like RDU is just losing out all kinda ways..

LAX went from daily to 5x weekly to dropped to seasonal..

BHM went from 2x daily to none

JAX went from 4x daily to 2x

MCI went from 5x daily to 3x

SDF went from 4x daily to 2x

CUN went from 1x weekly to dropped

NetJets went from yeah to ohhh

TPA went from 4x to 3x (DL drop)

MCO on FL went from daily to 4x weekly

still no PVD, PBI, RSW, SFO, SEA, intra-Carolina, or Caribbean

I"m not complaining (much), I"m just saying.. it's not looking good for RDU..

New Updates on RDU

1. New pictures have been put up of the terminal

2. The new FIS opens late 2008 and be able to handle 400 pax an hour! (LHR <30min?)

3. Phase 1 will be 16 gates + 3 international gates opening to the FIS (Phase 2 will have 13 gates)

4. There were also new restaurants added:

Local restaurant favorites featured in Terminal 2 include 42nd St. Oyster Bar, Carolina Ale House and Brookwood Farms, which offers North Carolina barbecue.

Other Terminal 2 restaurants include:

Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar <-------------------------New addition

Jose Cuervo Tequileria

Gordon Biersch

California Pizza Kitchen ASAP

Camden Food Company <------------------------------------New addition

McDonald

New Updates on RDU

1. New pictures have been put up of the terminal

2. The new FIS opens late 2008 and be able to handle 400 pax an hour! (LHR <30min?)

3. Phase 1 will be 16 gates + 3 international gates opening to the FIS (Phase 2 will have 13 gates)

4. There were also new restaurants added:

Local restaurant favorites featured in Terminal 2 include 42nd St. Oyster Bar, Carolina Ale House and Brookwood Farms, which offers North Carolina barbecue.

Other Terminal 2 restaurants include:

Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar <-------------------------New addition

Jose Cuervo Tequileria

Gordon Biersch

California Pizza Kitchen ASAP

Camden Food Company <------------------------------------New addition

McDonald

LHR = London Heathrow International Airport

RDU = Raleigh-Durham International Airport

FIS = Federal Inspection Station (Customs)

KFC is fried chicken

Unfortunately, Number 5 never came to be.. or perhaps has not come to fruition yet.. so never mind but MCO = Orlando International Airport

LHR = London Heathrow International Airport

RDU = Raleigh-Durham International Airport

FIS = Federal Inspection Station (Customs)

KFC is fried chicken

Unfortunately, Number 5 never came to be.. or perhaps has not come to fruition yet.. so never mind but MCO = Orlando International Airport

Thank you! I would suppose BOJ would stand for Cajun Fried Chicken?!?!?

• 2 weeks later...

Generally a question like that doesn't merit a thread of its own. If you put a question like that in its own thread, then moderators would probably merge it into the existing RDU thread. It's useful to keep all the discussion about one topic (in this case RDU) in one place.

As for the answer to your question, I don't know! :)

I've got a new topic to add to this forum, but today is my first day as a member and don't know how.

What is the exact date of the opening of terminal 2? I saw that it is "late summer", but wonder when exactly.

As far as I know, late summer is just that, late summer. They don't have a specific date as of yet. The reason for this is because it is too far out yet still to properly forcast whether there could be any delays, etc. and providing a specific date when they don't have an idea of what variables could affect it only results in upset people screaming at them over it not being open on the date they said it would be.

As far as I know, late summer is just that, late summer. They don't have a specific date as of yet. The reason for this is because it is too far out yet still to properly forcast whether there could be any delays, etc. and providing a specific date when they don't have an idea of what variables could affect it only results in upset people screaming at them over it not being open on the date they said it would be.

both RDU and RCC stated the opening of Terminal 2 should occur prior to the opening of the Raleigh Convention Center (RCC). Since the RCC is scheduled to open in very early September and the last estimate I heard for Terminal 2 opening was late July, I would say we can look for the terminal to open anywhere from Late July through Mid August.. Hope that narrows it down some for ya..

I've been told by people close to the project they will be lucky to have it open by October. The concessions are a mess. The concessionaires were originally supposed to start upfitting in late January early February, but they did not even submit their layouts until late February to the Authority for approval.

I hope i'm wrong about the timeframe.

I've been told by people close to the project they will be lucky to have it open by October. The concessions are a mess. The concessionaires were originally supposed to start upfitting in late January early February, but they did not even submit their layouts until late February to the Authority for approval.

I hope i'm wrong about the timeframe.

If that's the case, won't the authority go ahead and open the Terminal for travel use, with all the concessions in various states of construction? Just put a few hot dog and booze carts out for the business travelers. I don't want to see the second phase of the terminal held up because the concessionaires are a bunch of screw ups...

If that's the case, won't the authority go ahead and open the Terminal for travel use, with all the concessions in various states of construction? Just put a few hot dog and booze carts out for the business travelers. I don't want to see the second phase of the terminal held up because the concessionaires are a bunch of screw ups...

On the other hand, can you imagine the physical and security mess with construction ongoing while passengers are trying to move about in the terminal? I am coming home to Raleigh from Tokyo this summer, and I really wanted to use the new terminal, but if it's going to be a jumbled bunch of mess with hot dog carts set up temporarily, I'd rather not. I think opening before everything is complete could be a huge headache for passengers and a PR problem for the airport authority. I think I do share your frustration with the delays, though. Why didn't the concessionaires get their act together and get things in order beforehand. I mean, gee, they've been building this thing for ages.

That's another reason why a whole new landside terminal should have been built north of the parking decks. It would have been a very simple transition from the two airports across the street model to a landside/airside model that is far more efficient.

But RDU wanted to go with the Legacy/LCC terminals scheme.. 2 pricing schemes, 2 different terminals.. but whatever happens, I think RDU will try to make the push to open the terminal before the Convention Center because both are depending on each other.. the RCC big gimmick is that there will be a new gateway to Raleigh through the new terminal to the convention center.. and RDU big gimmick is that they are the new gateway ..

I don't know.. I just hope they pull it out.. They were ahead of schedule and I could see the terminal opening with some of the concessions still closed off with the "Opening Soon" walls up.. it's really not that big of a deal if they are still up..

In the back of my mind I kind of knew that both were going to be complete around the same time and that they share a sense of grandeur, but I never made the obvious connection that they were talking each other up......from touchdown to downtown (especially if Soleil were open and you drove US 70) we would look really modern and flashy to a visitor.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe one of you may be able to help me with this question:

I was recently out at the observation park one night, sitting in my car on the phone with the windows down. I heard what sounded like a military helicopter (ie the sound of an Apache) taking off and looked out but it was not a helicopter, it was an airplane with a prop on each wing. My initial thought was that it might be one of those Osprey aircraft that the Marine Corps uses, but couldn't understand why one of those would be at RDU. Other than the sound, the only thing I can really use to describe it (since it was night and I couldn't really see it) was that as the blades of plane spun around, they had a green light on the tips of the blades that made a green lit circle as blades rotated. Strange, but it got my curiosity level up.

Maybe one of you may be able to help me with this question:

I was recently out at the observation park one night, sitting in my car on the phone with the windows down. I heard what sounded like a military helicopter (ie the sound of an Apache) taking off and looked out but it was not a helicopter, it was an airplane with a prop on each wing. My initial thought was that it might be one of those Osprey aircraft that the Marine Corps uses, but couldn't understand why one of those would be at RDU. Other than the sound, the only thing I can really use to describe it (since it was night and I couldn't really see it) was that as the blades of plane spun around, they had a green light on the tips of the blades that made a green lit circle as blades rotated. Strange, but it got my curiosity level up.

May have to do with the military parade Saturday downtown Fayetteville Street. Could have been dropping of military vehicles

Could've been an osprey. They are stationed down an New River Air Station in Jacksonville, NC. I've seen them flying over Raleigh a couple of times. Depending on what day you were out there you may have seen a plane going/coming from the Coastal Carolina Air Show in Wilmington, NC over the weekend.