RDU International Airport

Rufus

Terminal 2 will be used less than Terminal 1, but it will still be necessary and tearing it down really makes no sense at all. It is perfectly funcitonal, very sound, and provides an immediate opening that Terminal 2 won't be able to do without the D concourse extension.

Correction.. Terminal 1 will be used less than Terminal 2.. my bad..

I meant footsteps.

Nothing wrong with saying "Welcome to Raleigh and Durham". The airport, afterall, is RDU, not NCU. One of my pet-peeves is when bands at concerts say,"Hello, North Carolina". I bet they don't say that in Phoenix, Little Rock, Nashville, Minneapolis, etc.

I'm sorry but I disagree. "North Carolina" has far more cachet than the technically "small city" designated city of Raleigh, or Durham for that matter.

I live in New York, and if ever on an elevator or somewhere where people are asking where each other is from, I always blurt out that I'm from North Carolina, and instantly I attain almost celebrity status.

North Carolina may be inherently rural (I know, I'm from Louisburg), but the state as a whole is regarded as one of the best and most beautiful in the country.

Charlotte has mistakenly decided to try to separate itself from NC in its "Charlotte, USA" promotional campaign, but I've lived in CA, GA, MA and now NY and I have a pretty good idea of how highly regarded NC is, and therfore I would attach the name to any and everything I could.

My pet peeve is when people overly associate South Carolina with North Carolina, because NC is in the same league with FL, CA and other top states, and no offense, but SC is not.

Flew in last night and I have to say, the new terminal looks good at night. The lights were on but no planes were at the gates but it looked nice.

I see and read where people talk about the terminal and having to go up or go down, that is in many airports, especially newer airports. Maybe I dont get it but that has a lot to do with direction of traffic. Much like Denver airport.

For the number of gates, I think the key to this terminal is the they can still extend it but not sure on all the details.

I like the terminal and not ready to say anything negative about it as airports are the gateway to a city and right or wrong, spells out what people will think of your city. From podunk to modern and in between.

For a high tech area with new age industry and top of the line tech and pharma business, RDU needs a serious make over. I fly quite often and maybe it is not correct of me to make an assumption on a city by its airport but I do...just like everyone else. Call me shallow......go ahead and then I will be like 98% of the rest of travelers.

Wichita airport says podunk even though the largest private company in the world is there and it is the aviation capital of the US. Many high end tech companies. That is why they are building a new terminal. Miami airport says "cluster****" which it is. The worst airport I know of. PHX Skyharbor says "the old and the new" which is right for PHX.

About time RDU says "Modern City"

I flew in last night also, though I gated at Terminal A. C/2 looked nice being on the runway side though. I have been on so many escalators in airports lately that it just seems like its just a normal part of flying. CLE had a new-to-me under ground tunnel connecting at least two concourses. One thing having two terminals at RDU does, is disperse the cluster ****ness into two spaces. Central parking makes arrival easy, and then you walk to your terminal. Being the only airport I drive in and out of, I don't know how others compare, but all and all I have come to appreciate our setup.

I agree that the terminal looks great at night-our plane taxied by it on arrival and you could really get a sense of how large the main ticketing area is. Interiors look very much like many of the European airports (ie. Zurich, Munich, and Geneva). I am really glad that it didn't turn out as a Denver copycat (although it is a nice airport).

I actually gated in the new terminal tonight (after 2.5 hour delay, and a computer failure on the plane after landing...got towed in), and it is indeed very very beautiful inside, and imo does say "Raleigh" or RTP with its shiny modern interior. In a negative way, as Dana pointed out though it also says Raleigh, by the enormous long trek to baggage claim. Its like commuting down I-40 in the morning. People walking with me thought they had to be going the wrong way since it took so long to get there. Anyway, the feel of the building is the exact opposite of LGA I had just left which had mice, no TV's in American's concourse and leaky roof stains everywhere.

Edited by Jones133

Today it was announced that the Delta and Northwest merger has gone through. Why is it that only Delta will move into the new terminal? Doesn't seem "seamless" to me for the Northwest passengers. As big as that new terminal is, why can't they accommodate both Delta and Northwest? Don't fly either one, but curious.

Probably because the merger will phase out the Northwest flights. Just a hunch.

This Paris flight is good news, and another feather in the cap of the Triangle, but do we really need it? Flying on a 757 with that one aisle is no fun, but this seems to be a common arrangement now from medium-sized airports to Europe now.

Should be happy, but I wonder why we can't get something to the west coast to work long-term! I live in Tokyo. While it's easy to just connect in IAD, ATL, or JFK, I would like to do it on the west coast and have a stopover. Why isn't there enough traffic to the Silicon Valley area of California to make a flight work? Any answers?

Agreed, I would like to see a direct flight to one of SFO, OAK, or SJC. Shame we lost the LAX flight as well.

(note - the discussion about connecting flights to asia was getting off-topic, so I have taken it to PM's)

Edited by orulz

This Paris flight is good news, and another feather in the cap of the Triangle, but do we really need it? Flying on a 757 with that one aisle is no fun, but this seems to be a common arrangement now from medium-sized airports to Europe now.

Just a thought. Maybe RDU-CDG and CLT-CDG are happening because the airlines think that an Obama presidency will mean drastically improved US-France (and US-EU) relations. They were probably in the works for a while since it looked like Obama was the front runner, but they only made the announcement when the election was over and it was certain.

Out of curiosity, have any other airlines announced more flights to the EU from other mid-sized airports since the election?

Just a thought. Maybe RDU-CDG and CLT-CDG are happening because the airlines think that an Obama presidency will mean drastically improved US-France (and US-EU) relations. They were probably in the works for a while since it looked like Obama was the front runner, but they were waiting for the election to make it certain before making the announcement.

Out of curiosity, have any other airlines announced more flights to the EU from other mid-sized airports since the election?

Seriously?