RDU International Airport

Rufus

What exactly does the Authority do? Providing board members does not mean you are providing services to the land in question necessarily. If Wake services cover the property then Durham would be getting something for nothing essentially. There are a lot of details we here don't know that will be the logical make up of the answer...hopefully logical anyway...

The airport provides its own police and fire protection. Not sure where it gets its water from. If somebody is arrested on airport property, I am pretty sure they would go to the Wake county detention center, similar to arrests made by NCSU police. But I don't know for sure.

The airport probably does rely on some county services, but not many. Sales taxes at the airport probably don't amount to all that much, either, so maybe it balances out. If Wake is making more money on sales taxes from RDU than they spend on services, then Durham has a case.

When US and CO moves, would it make more sense to move US, CO, UA, and AC to one end with DL ( and YX when they return) and AA at the other? The Star Alliance can have one end of the terminal, DL can have a significant area, and AA can have what it needs for it's 44 flights.

Also, does anyone think US will move their Club over? I know when they said it would remain open in Terminal 1 that it may not move to Terminal 2 when they move. What do you think?

Edited by ERJ170

They have been renovating that terminal for decades. It needs to be completely razed.

It looks like there's not enough money. They had plans for a $200M major renovation, but they are now scaled back to $50M. I'm not sure what you can get for that these days, but it's not a total rebuild.

Even if you had the money, with RDU closing the north end of Terminal 1 (old Terminal B), how can you make a reasoned argument for a major new project, when the airport is still building a massive new Terminal 2? What was that $500M? Forget about the oil debate we've had. The airline industry is shrinking, and we may end up with just 3-4 carriers in the near future. What about the plans for high speed rail to 100-500 mile markets? In that scenario, even with continued regional population and job growth, it would be difficult to justify the need for a new multi-hundred-million-dollar terminal 1 project. Let's let # 2 open up, do the $50M facelift for #1, and wait and see how the industry realignments play out.

And that's precisely why I said that $500M would have been better spent on a central terminal that used Terminal A and C strictly as gateway strips. We are spending hundreds of millions of dollars and not opening up any new streams of revenue. In fact, we will have fewer than before.

Edited by dmccall

And that's precisely why I said that $500M would have been better spent on a central terminal that used Terminal A and C strictly as gateway strips. We are spending hundreds of millions of dollars and not opening up any new streams of revenue. In fact, we will have fewer than before.

I remember you arguing for that concept, and there's probably something to be said for it. It's pretty clear to me that the Authority has been reacting to the airline industry's ups and downs for 10+ years instead of looking forward, and coming up with a plan that will work for the long term. I love the design of Terminal 2, but you have to wonder if that $500M (whatever it was) was well spent. Nobody seems to pay any attention to what RDU does, I guess since they don't use any taxpayer money, people don't care, so long as they have a place to park, a decent looking terminal, and a route to their destination.

• 6 months later...

Bit of good news coming out of RDU.

1. Midwest has resumed nonstop service to Milwaukee, bringing in a nearly sold out plane on its first return flight.

2. JetBlue will increase its service to Boston on May 1st

3. Southwest is scheduled to begin its nonstop service to St. Louis on May 9th

4. Delta will resume nonstop service between RDU and Los Angeles in June

RDU officials also stated that more new destinations are being talked about with the carriers, but declined to reveal where.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/04/02/417641/at-rdu-the-water-cannons-come.html#ixzz0jyLiEHHQ

Bit of good news coming out of RDU.

1. Midwest has resumed nonstop service to Milwaukee, bringing in a nearly sold out plane on its first return flight.

2. JetBlue will increase its service to Boston on May 1st

3. Southwest is scheduled to begin its nonstop service to St. Louis on May 9th

4. Delta will resume nonstop service between RDU and Los Angeles in June

RDU officials also stated that more new destinations are being talked about with the carriers, but declined to reveal where.

http://www.newsobser...l#ixzz0jyLiEHHQ

Hopefully a direct flight from RDU to San Francisco on United will be one of them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Did RDU make a mistake by being the only major airport in NC not to build a new major runway?

Friday, April 19, 2002

Third runway seen on RDU's horizon

Triangle Business Journal - by Shane Snider

MORRISVILLE -- Raleigh-Durham Inter-national Airport intends to take flight with plans for a 9,500-foot runway parallel to its two existing strips -- a project that could cost the airport $200 million or more when the work is completed in 2010.

A new runway has been on RDU's wish list since 1992, when the authority overseeing the facility developed a long-term master plan.

Besides RDU, new runways are expected to be completed at Charlotte's Douglas International Airport and at Greensboro's Piedmont Triad International Airport. Charlotte's runway is scheduled for completion in 2004.

Ted Johnson, executive director of the Greensboro airport, says the airport's plans for a 9,000-foot runway will cost about $120 million.

Read more: Third runway seen on RDU's horizon - Triangle Business Journal

http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2002/04/22/story6.html

Delta Airlines to Add Flights and Seats at PTI

http://www.flyfrompti.com/delta-airlines-to-add-flights-and-seats-at-pti/

April 27, 2010

Piedmont Triad, NC – Delta Airlines will add two flights from Piedmont Triad

International Airport to Atlanta in June, bringing the total number of daily

departures from PTI to Atlanta to 12, airport officials announced Tuesday.

Delta intends to upgrade two of the departures to Atlanta from

regional jets to mainline jets, maintaining the same number of departures, but

increasing significantly the number of seats from PTI to Atlanta.

AirportNewRunway.jpg

Though built for $150 million to accommodate FedEx, the new runway is open to all aviation traffic. The runway was funded primarily through federal government grants, along with $30 million from locally generated authority revenues.

Thursday, May. 13, 2010

Overseas flights surging in Charlotte

US Airways shifts international focus away from Philadelphia

By Steve Harrison

The Charlotte Observer

US Airways will launch Charlotte's first non-stop flight to Rome tonight - the latest expansion of international service that has significantly increased the Queen City's overseas connections.

In the last year, US Airways has announced or started non-stops from Charlotte to Paris, Rome, Ottawa, Rio de Janeiro, and Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos in Mexico. The airline said more international flights may be coming to Charlotte because it has a surplus of long-range aircraft after it cut flights in some markets.

The airport's third parallel runway adjacent to I-485 opened in February.

The Charlotte Chamber has long believed that Charlotte's extensive domestic non-stops are crucial in persuading businesses to relocate or expand in the city. But international flights can also improve business connections and give the region prestige, the chamber has said.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/05/13/2164987/overseas-flights-surging-in-charlotte.html

FourthRunay.jpg

The $325 million project was funded by the federal government and general airport revenue bonds. It also included road relocation and adjoining roadway construction.

Edited by Atlside

Did RDU make a mistake by being the only major airport in NC not to build a new major runway?

No. Planning for the 3rd runway (not counting Runway 14-32, which is still available for general aviation) was driven by the American/Midway hub. When that hub disappeared, so did the need for a 3rd runway. The existing two runways, 5L-23R and 5R-23L, are sufficient for the traffic that RDU gets now and will get in the foreseeable future. With the pullback of American and the demise of Midway, much of the slack at RDU has been taken up by Southwest. But unlike American/Midway, Southwest spreads its flights to/from RDU rather evenly throughout the day.

There are too many hubs at U.S. airports. The trend has been to shut down hubs (St Louis, Cincinnati, RDU, San Jose, Syracuse, etc), not to create new ones. I doubt RDU will ever be in the running for another one.

Also, I might be mistaken about this... but I think it wasn't possible in 1992 to have simultaneous ILS approaches on both runways. The runways were too close together. Better radar and/or GPS has alleviated that problem.

Edited by ctl

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think that US Airways may one day be taken over as many of the other former large US airlines had been in the past and if so will Charlotte no longer be a hub airport?

I don't think there will be consolidation to the extreme of an Aeroflot. That said, airline mergers continue: Continental + United was announced in May. It wouldn't surprise me if US Airways eventually consolidates. Whether that puts the CLT hub at risk depends on who the partner is. For example, if US Airways were to fold into Delta, you could kiss CLT goodbye.

It also matters whether the CLT hub is profitable or not, given the competition from Southwest and Jetblue in many cities that feed CLT. The CLT hub predates the rise of Southwest in the east, not to mention Jetblue. Just yesterday, American announced they were dropping RDU-Boston. Jetblue pushed AA off that route.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised that there has been little talk about the CONRAC until now though. Phoenix, Baltimore, and Ft. Lauderdale are some of the busy airports that have built beautiful new consolidated rental car complexes in the last few years. The only drawbacks can be the distance from the terminals and the facility fees that get tacked on to the rental car charges. However, this helps to pass the cost of building the facility from the airport authority to the customers.

Supposedly the world's largest CONRAC opened in Atlanta earlier this year. I haven't been through it yet. They included an automated people mover in the design to eliminate shuttle buses. I have a sinking feeling that RDU's CONRAC will be built far away from the terminals but will still rely on shuttle buses.

Delta is trying to take up the slack of American's reductions here. Hartford, Columbus, Orlando, Tampa, St Louis, and Boston (as of next month) are cities formerly served by American. It's good news for RDU, but the interesting thing is that Delta is willing to compete head-to-head with Southwest in order to increase market share among business travelers here. And by the way, these new cities are being served by Delta Connection, not Delta mainline... although the Delta Connection jets are a little bigger than the ERJs that American Eagle used.

Supposedly the world's largest CONRAC opened in Atlanta earlier this year. I haven't been through it yet. They included an automated people mover in the design to eliminate shuttle buses. I have a sinking feeling that RDU's CONRAC will be built far away from the terminals but will still rely on shuttle buses.

I can see it being built somewhere along Aviation Pkwy, with easy access to I-40. In any event, it won't be within walking distance to the terminals.

I can see it being built somewhere along Aviation Pkwy, with easy access to I-40. In any event, it won't be within walking distance to the terminals.

I wonder why it can't be built across from Terminal A Annex/Terminal B.. That space was set aside for a future garage.. just turn the garage into a rental car complex..each level could house rental car facilities and it would be within walking distance of both terminals without the need for shuttle buses