RDU International Airport

Rufus

The proposed facility will be located off of Pleasant Grove Church Road between Pleasant Grove Church Road and I-540. The study about to get underway will look at both buses and an APM, but the APM will only be considered when passenger levels reach 12 million enplanements (current level is 4.5 million). While the Pleasant Grove Church site is the primary focus, others options will be studied. I personally would like to see the rental cars in the deck.

Edited by PAVANC

Wow, that's far away.. like D/FW. Until 1987 or thereabouts, rental cars at RDU were still parked directly in front of what was then called Terminal B (remember its black-on-yellow signage?). Somebody could arrive on a flight, go down the escalator, hit the rental car counters, get the keys, and walk no more than 100 feet to the assigned vehicle.

25 years later, they'll have to take a 10-minute ride on shuttle bus -- such is progress. Think of how many shuttle buses will be needed to keep the delays acceptable on a route that long.

Car renters aren't a local constituency who have influence on the airport authority board.

• 4 weeks later...

A map in the N&O implies that RDU will build the consolidated rental car facility off of Pleasant Grove Church Road. Seems to me this would increase stress on the traffic light at Pleasant Grove Church and Airport Blvd, which already in congested due to the I-40 interchange nearby.

The map also shows a people mover in operation between the CONRAC and the terminals. The people mover would eventually be extended to RTP and a transit station near the Nelson community.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

More info at http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/2011/04/renderings-offer-sneak-peek-of.html?ed=2011-04-25&s=article_du&ana=e_du_pap . Open the PDF that's linked to at the bottom. It contains interior and exterior sketches of T1 as well as site selection for the CONRAC -- for which roadways would be altered (thankfully) to alleviate congestion.

Agreed, the drawings look good given what they have to work with. Incidentally, JetBlue moves to T2 on or about May 10. After that, Southwest and Airtran (being acquired by Southwest) will be the only occupants of T1. Reconstruction of T1 will presumably start at the south end that will be vacated. I suppose they will tear down the woeful gates formerly numbered A5-A9... the restroom-less extension of the A concourse that Continental and Northwest used for a while.

Agreed, the drawings look good given what they have to work with. Incidentally, JetBlue moves to T2 on or about May 10. After that, Southwest and Airtran (being acquired by Southwest) will be the only occupants of T1. Reconstruction of T1 will presumably start at the south end that will be vacated. I suppose they will tear down the woeful gates formerly numbered A5-A9... the restroom-less extension of the A concourse that Continental and Northwest used for a while.

I'm trying to figure out what the heck RDU is planning to do myself. (FYI, AirTran is moving to T2 also).

When I looked at the drawings (conversely, I like the option with the "wing" over the hotel/rental car/parking bus than the one without), it looks like only A10-18 will remain. However, the new Club at RDU is across from A21. So will they move it or will the extension where US is located will stay? Doesn't make sense to do all this work for that Club just to close it down and move it elsewhere.. Also, I hope they plan to push out the entire "main" terminal area.. it's a bit cramped..

I personally think it should stay since it makes a much better holding area than where WN is now or gate A18/A19..

Also, I think it's definite that A5-9 is going down..

Say bye bye to Frontier and MKE.. they appear to be pulling out in June. What do you think? Is it a big loss? What could they have done for better loads? I always thought MCI and DEN would have been better destinations but oh well..

All in all it's probably difficult to operate an airline in the shadow of ORD.

There have been multiple times when I was flying to Madison or the north Chicago suburbs and I considered it, but the fares on Frontier/Midwest were not in line line with what it would cost to fly direct to ORD or MDW, or even a connecting flight on Delta to MSN. I suppose if my destination were in Milwaukee itself then the extra fare probably would have been worth it, but it just never made sense to me.

To me one of the greatest things about RDU is the fantastic roadways and landscaping into and out of the airport. It's so gorgeous and unique that I think it makes a lasting and positive impression on visitors. I think all of the ramps and cloverleafs are just wonderfully executed.

To me one of the greatest things about RDU is the fantastic roadways and landscaping into and out of the airport. It's so gorgeous and unique that I think it makes a lasting and positive impression on visitors. I think all of the ramps and cloverleafs are just wonderfully executed.

... and that good impression lasts for about 45 seconds until it is shattered by the interchanges at I-40 which are are old, narrow, and paTHETIC. I mean, come on - can I get four lanes plus a real turn lane please?

... and that good impression lasts for about 45 seconds until it is shattered by the interchanges at I-40 which are are old, narrow, and paTHETIC. I mean, come on - can I get four lanes plus a real turn lane please?

Well, I agree though I doubt the average traveler is scrutinizing the quality and complexity of the two I-40 interchanges with the airport.

That said, the aviation parkway interchange should have a left flyover onto eastbound I-40. For all of RDU's grandeur, the I-40 interchanges are treated as if they were just a typical country road crossing overhead.

Edited by architect77

I always wondered about the Airport exits with I-40, but honestly I've never run into any traffic problems when going to or coming from RDU. I think because Airport Blvd. and Aviation Pkwy, from the west and east serve the main entrance to the Airport, as well as from I-540 and Glenwood Avenue, there isn't much need for more complex exits. Should there be more intense development around the airport and to the south, this might need to change.

I always wondered about the Airport exits with I-40

It's an abomination that these two bridges (Airport Blvd and Aviation Parkway) were not rebuilt during the two phases of I-40 widening in the 1980s and 1990s. The Airport Blvd bridge is choked with traffic due to intense commercial and industrial development on the far side of I-40.

NCDOT went through a long period when they seemingly didn't understand the growth rate of the Triangle. Thus I-40 between RTP and Chapel Hill was originally built as four lanes.. a ridiculous design that cost a lot of money to fix later. Charlotte had the same problem with I-485.

• 2 weeks later...

(FYI, AirTran is moving to T2 also).

No, RDUAA has confirmed that AirTran (acquired by Southwest earlier this month) will remain in T1. Today AirTran moved to the north end of T1, in anticipation of Southwest's assimilating them.