RDU International Airport

Rufus

The whole thing is weirder than than the Soleil Center, if you ask me. Put someone out there and say,"OK - what needs to be demolished and replaced?" They wouldn't say Term C, they'd say A&B, that leftover mess. I honestly cannot see why Terminal C is an improvement other than it's more open and swoopier. If you look at the walkthrough movie, passengers will have to leave the concourse be riding up and short escalator. Then they will go down another escalator to get to baggage claim. It will have one of those stick-on glass elevators in the lobby, which may be more of a security feature than anything.

However we go over to the sprawling Terminal A and see the blue, brown, pink, yellow, silver, and beige color scheme in a poorly lit building originally intended to be a hangar. The Triangle's aviation gateway is perhaps its most embarrassing building. Ugh.

This is just my opinion but I think the new terminal will flow better and improve RDU image, especially as the business airlines move there (American, Delta, United, US Air, etc) providing an easier entrance/exit and better image of the area. This will help improve the image of the triangle as the first view a business traveler sees is the airport and this makes a lasting impression, especially for a high tech area. Fly into other cities like Wichita, Old Tucson, very old part of San Jose, etc and see the old airport that screams "backwards, slower" even though they have some industry leading technology companies there.

Much of the up and down is the layout of modern airports. I keep mentioning the Denver airport and there is some up and down, but it flows pretty well, although some better signage for first time travelers could improve. Of course, it could have been me.

With terminal A, it is all about costs. I am sure Southwest would like to any upgrades as long as it does not raise their gate costs. That "blue, brown, pink, yellow, silver, and beige color scheme " (so so true) fits well with Southwest cost structure (as the Wall-Mart of the airline industry) but not sit well with business travelers, especially if it is high tech like software, hardware and Bio/Pharma.

Think of the business person flying in from a larger city and wants to purchase or award business to a triangle company and the first thing they see if posters from 1988 (Terminal A) or the original brick and old linoleum floors in Terminal A (TerB section for USAir/Southwest) I am sure Southwest will welcome the change (at least down to 3 colors) but not if it raises it costs.

This terminal is slated for completion in 2010. It would be really nice if it could be completed by 2008 to coincide with the opening of the convention center. Talk about making a statement to out of towners coming into RDU for a convention.

• 5 weeks later...

Renderings of RDU Terminal C:

rd.jpgrdu_dropoff.jpg

These are the best pictures I have seen so far. When I see these, I see some resemblance of the larger new airports in Asia with the full glass fronts, sides and backs. My guess is the support structures will be visible inside. I like that look.

The Pudong Shanghai airport is like this as well as some of the newer parts of Hong Kong International. Even some of the new airports in SE Asia have this look.

The same guy who designed the new RDU terminal also designed Denver International and you can see many familiarities, except Denver does not have the floor to roof glass.

I think this terminal just screams

I like the look, but still am not convinced this extremely expensive improvement couldn't have been achieved by fattening the security link to the concourses and extending the concourse. Maybe the much larger concourse with the people mover will be incredibly efficient.

I have the exact same feelings about the NELSONs restaurant in Cameron Village. They spent a reported $3M for essentially what could have been done with a good scrubbing, refinished floors, and some paint.

I think the plan goes beyond exterior improvements. They are completely renovating the entire security, ticketing and baggage claim areas. Terminal C was originally built as a hub for American Airlines when few people actually called RDU their arrival or departure city. People were mearly switching planes so these areas were very small. Things have changed since then and this area has to be expanded greatly. The plans are to move a bunch of the airlines from A to C as the primary terminal for Raleigh-Durham. I think this was a long needed overhaul for RDU. I also believe that the concourse with the gates can be elongated at a future time to accomodate more aircraft.

I agree with you on Nelson's. That place may have a hard time making it given the money sunken into it. I went their Sunday after church with my wife to look at their brunch menu. It looked nice, but it was expensive. We decided to go to NOFO and save a little bit of money. I would rather drop a dime on a nice dinner than on breakfast. The place looked good, but $3 million is a lot to recoup.

This project is needed and can't be done by just adding a few new areas. The terminal has become quite old, even during its relatively short existance. Between the time when American Airlines pulled out and when RDUAA took over control the terminal sorta took a maintance nosedive in some aspects. With the new terminal check-in will be much easier with islands, and self check-in. Also the new terminal will allow security to become more efficient, with more lanes and room for machines. Once completed, more airlines will be able to more over to terminal C and use more gates if they please. In terminal A there have been times where airline expansion couldnt occur due to too few gates and slots. This should not be a problem anymore. Terminal A will not be torn down but as said earlier be updated. If the TTA regional rail ever makes it around, I think these projects could help to see a link to the airport earlier than would be without them.

What ever the airport does to Terminal C, they also need to do to Terminal A. and it needs to be done very soon after C's completed.

There used to be pictures and information proposing a new Terminal A. It nearly tripled the terminals size from around 300,000 sq feet to around 900,000 with ~40 gates. The rendering were very nice. But of course this was before RDUAA took control over terminal C and plans got bumped a bit. However I would except Terminal A to be in the crosshairs a few years after Terminal C's completion if the money is there.

There used to be pictures and information proposing a new Terminal A. It nearly tripled the terminals size from around 300,000 sq feet to around 900,000 with ~40 gates. The rendering were very nice. But of course this was before RDUAA took control over terminal C and plans got bumped a bit. However I would except Terminal A to be in the crosshairs a few years after Terminal C's completion if the money is there.

Here's the old proposal for Terminal A. Even though Terminal A needs to be remodeled more than C, I'm glad they're going ahead with C. Terminal C's design is so much more dramatic and interesting than what they were planning for A.

RDU%20(2).jpg

Edited by TravisNC

TravisNC,

Thanks for the picture. I'm glad someone knew where to find it. It would very nice to see this eventually happen. I guess something to look forward to way down the road. TravisNC are you also on a.net?

Couldn't you imagine all the southwest tails on the northern end of that new Terminal A. :w00t:

TravisNC,

Thanks for the picture. I'm glad someone knew where to find it. It would very nice to see this eventually happen. I guess something to look forward to way down the road. TravisNC are you also on a.net?

Couldn't you imagine all the southwest tails on the northern end of that new Terminal A. :w00t:

I have always said Raleigh would be a good place for a Southwest mini-hub. (or whatever SW has). I would also like to see "Frontier" come in. THe industry looks somewhat bleak but RDU looks good for a North/South east coast hub but that could be "20 years to never" before that happens.

Edited by Subway Scoundrel

I would say expect Frontier to open up shop at RDU within a year or two. The demand between RDU and DEN is there, however we just need the correct size plane to fly the route. United has a pattern of not reopening a station once it has pulled out, so United mainline isn't even a remote chance. When they tried putting the CRJ-700 on the route it was almost always full, however it was a weight restricted flight which hurt it to the point it was pulled. Frontier could bring in one of there A319s and do very well on this route. I would say Frontier isn't a matter of if but when.

Living in Denver currently, though I grew up in the Triangle. Frontier looks like they are getting some serious competiton from Southwest. Ever since January 06 when Southwest came to town Frontier is looking for a way to diversify itself a litte more than the traditonal spoke hub system which all major airlines are abandoning. Today, Frontier announced a route from LA to SF. I would supsect that Frontier will come to RDU by end of 07. I know RDU has made it public that they are seeking a direct connection to Denver whether that is United or Frontier we will see. I know that United out here has said they are going to try some things differently since they came out of bankruptcy. They plan to expand their Denver hub by 10 gates in the next year also. Maybe one of those will be RDU. Southwest meanwhile is looking to get 6 more gates by end of June added to the three the already have. Each gate represent ten flights. Speculation is that Southwest will try to fly to Nashville and other Florida destinations direct.