RDU International Airport

Rufus

25 minutes ago, DPK said:

That can't be Downtown Durham or Duke, the camera angle doesn't line up that way with IQVIA from RDU Airport.  Morrisville is in that far direction.

I was thinking the same thing.  I can see downtown Durham when traveling north on 15-501 near the I-40 overpass, and I haven’t noticed any cranes.

On 3/27/2022 at 12:03 AM, carolina1792 said:

Building on the left looks like IQVIA tower. 

Downtown Durham set to have plenty of cranes up soon-ish. 

There are 7 cranes up in downtown Durham today with at least 3 more coming in the next few weeks.  The official bird of Durham will soon be the crane.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The Icelandair service is so successful it's been extended to January.  That's great.  I was anxious for this to succeed but suspected it could be a indication that RDU, with so many students, seniors, well-educated people, could easily support more foreign carriers.  I hope the success of this service will attract more international carriers/service.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/08/18/icelandair-extends-nonstop-service-rdu-iceland.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=ae&utm_content=RA&j=28774779&senddate=2022-08-18

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

The Icelandair service is so successful it's been extended to January.  That's great.  I was anxious for this to succeed but suspected it could be a indication that RDU, with so many students, seniors, well-educated people, could easily support more foreign carriers.  I hope the success of this service will attract more international carriers/service.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/08/18/icelandair-extends-nonstop-service-rdu-iceland.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=ae&utm_content=RA&j=28774779&senddate=2022-08-18

Now we just need an airport designed to accommodate expanded international travel, as well as road warriors like myself (more onsite parking, more gates, better food options, etc.).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

Now we just need an airport designed to accommodate expanded international travel, as well as road warriors like myself (more onsite parking, more gates, better food options, etc.).

Austin, Texas isn't much bigger than RDU but has been able to accommodate LH, KL, BA, VX, AM.  I can see a KLM, Condor or Lufthansa, Aeromexico and Aer Lingus doing well at RDU.

On 8/18/2022 at 3:38 PM, Phillydog said:

I feel like this should bode well for roping in additional international destinations. Would love to see Aer Lingus bring us a flight to Dublin.

My wife and I just booked a November trip to Iceland thanks to this, for our 3 year anniversary. We are hoping to catch some Northern Lights. Major bucket list item for both of us.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Breeze Airways will begin service from RDU in February to three destinations. All routes will be flown on the Airbus A220.

RDU to:

•       Hartford, CT: Thurs and Sun, starting February 16

•       New Orleans, LA: Thurs, Fri, Sun and Mon, starting February 16

•       Providence, RI: Fri and Mon, starting February 17

https://www.rdu.com/breeze-airways-to-begin-service-at-rdu/

Also, Bahamasair began service last week to Freeport.

Bahamasair flies nonstop year-round from RDU to Freeport, Grand Bahama on Thursdays and Sundays on a 138-seat Boeing 737-700. Bahamasair flights operate from RDU’s Terminal 2.

https://www.rdu.com/bahamasair/

Finally, Avelo is opening up its 5th base at RDU and is adding 6 routes to Florida starting in February.

https://www.morningstar.com/news/pr-newswire/20221110da32232/avelo-airlines-announces-5th-base-in-raleigh-durham

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 3:54 PM, RALNATIVE said:

What sort of developments would help RDU to accommodate expanded international travel?

• 3 months later...

Looks like Breeze Airways and Avelo Airline getting serious with RDU. Route expansions from RDU are happening almost as fast as they can get planes delivered. Technically Avelo has an advantage over Breeze with a more advance operations/commitments from RDU but if you look at the route list you can see Breeze isn't lagging far behind.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
23 hours ago, Phillydog said:

Air France to RDU.  Only CA, FL, TX and PA have more than 1 city with nonstop flights to Europe?

I believe that you are correct.

RDU missed a grand opportunity to build a more substantial airport when they decided to rebuild Terminal 2 and upgrade Terminal 1. Demand has already outgrown Terminal 2 and they are looking at expanding once again. The security lines during peak hours is ridiculous.

It's a shame that a city like Salt Lake City, which is smaller than Raleigh, recognized the long term need and built a much more impressive and appropriate airport for that metro than Raleigh has done. Part of that was because of the Delta hub there, but still, Raleigh can do better.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

from the Triangle Biz Journal

""Raleigh-Durham International Airport has secured a new nonstop flight to Europe.

The airport on Tuesday announced a new partnership with airline Lufthansa to begin nonstop flights between RDU and Frankfurt in western Germany. Flyers will be able to connect to flights to other European destinations as well as to India, the Middle East and elsewhere around the world.

The service will begin June 6, 2024, with five nonstop flights weekly to and from Frankfurt. The flights will run year-round, officials said""

Lufthansa to launch RDU-Frankfurt nonstop flights in 2024 - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

that will make 3 European carriers for RDU AirFrance, Lufthansa and IcelandicAir.  

Great news!!!

Lufthansa is a great airline and Frankfurt is a major air hub in Europe, not to mention a big financial hub. This is a win for the Triangle.

• Like 4

I can't tell you how this new flight is so good for the entire Triangle.  When people in UP in Nashville are talking about how their peer city has all these European flights it is a good thing! 

another article about it

RDU Announces a New Airline and a New International Nonstop Destination | Aviation Pros

Lufthansa now flies to Munich from Charlotte and to Frankfurt or will from RDU .  American also has a Frankfurt flight from Charlotte. 

• Like 3