RDU International Airport

Rufus

Out of the three airlines, United I would give another thought to... for now. Stranger things have happened, however I don't see them bringing mainline service back for now. I believe their ERJ-170s are mainline, which would be prefect for the route, but like I said.

I could see either Southwest or Frontier going for RDU. I can't remember on Southwest's situtation concerning gate space at RDU, however I think if they wanted to start flying to RDU from DEN they could without any problem. Frontier may come to RDU quicker than expected due to Southwest being the new kid on the block in DEN. I'd like to see Frontier open up shop in RDU, but overall I'd rather just see a DEN-RDU flight. Both airlines are good, so it would be a win win situtation.

Maybe someone knows more about this than I, but if we were replacing one terminal and doing a major overhaul on another, why didn't we just build a ticketing/baggage/security pod with monorails going out to renovated remnants of Terminal A and C's concourses? This central hub could have easily been built on the north side of the newest parking deck (map). Centralizing the security and baggage claim seems far more efficient than rebuilding the entire airport with so much redundancy.

Tampa has this hub and spoke set up and it works really well.

terminal-tpa.gif

Orlando copied Tampa

terminal_layout_l.jpg

It seems like we could have easily converted to this more efficient style of airport.

Maybe someone knows more about this than I, but if we were replacing one terminal and doing a major overhaul on another, why didn't we just build a ticketing/baggage/security pod with monorails going out to renovated remnants of Terminal A and C's concourses? This central hub could have easily been built on the north side of the newest parking deck (map). Centralizing the security and baggage claim seems far more efficient than rebuilding the entire airport with so much redundancy.

terminal-tpa.gif

Orlando copied Tampa

terminal_layout_l.jpg

It seems like we could have easily converted to this more efficient style of airport.

One reason might be that monarail is so expensive. Much more than light rail and that since the parking garage is in the middle, the transfer from one terminal is quite easy and nice. But maybe I did not understand what you were saying. My guess is RDU would need the same amount of people to run security in one place or in two and then add expensive monarailI for such a short walk. I have never been to Tampa so not sure

terminal-tpa.gif

Orlando copied Tampa

terminal_layout_l.jpg

It's a nice thought but would never work at RDU. The area where baggage claim, ticket, and security would have to be even larger than what is going into Terminal C. It would however be nice to update those three areas all at once :thumbsup: , but it still wouldn't happen. The monorails would be way too expensive, and would run about 300 feet in either direction. Don't get me wrong having monorails running through RDU would be wonderful, but the RDUAA would not go for it. If you look at MCO (Orlando Int.) you see that the design is more useful when space is limited. MCO overview Still a nice thought :)

Edited by RDUairport

TravisNC,

Thanks for the picture. I'm glad someone knew where to find it. It would very nice to see this eventually happen. I guess something to look forward to way down the road. TravisNC are you also on a.net?

Couldn't you imagine all the southwest tails on the northern end of that new Terminal A. :w00t:

You're welcome.

Yes, that's me. I don't post a lot at on any of the boards (SSP, Skyscraper City, airliners.net, or here), but I read them all daily to keep up with what's going on. Who are you over at a.net?

You're welcome.

Yes, that's me. I don't post a lot at on any of the boards (SSP, Skyscraper City, airliners.net, or here), but I read them all daily to keep up with what's going on. Who are you over at a.net?

I'm rdu777. Same I don't post too often but read alot.

Some interesting news to not get all too excitied about yet, but Virgin America has had their first plane painted and is closer towards operation. There have been a few rumors that we, at RDU, may see them. This wouldn't be for a few years is my guess. When the RDU-SFO market becomes to big to ignore, I would look for them to maybe make a move. I don't see this happening anytime soon, and United shouldn't be a player on that route since mainline doesn't fly to RDU any longer. AA could eventually be a player, however they just don't come to mind on a route such as RDU-SFO. Sorry for ranting.. :unsure:

Some interesting news to not get all too excitied about yet, but Virgin America has had their first plane painted and is closer towards operation. There have been a few rumors that we, at RDU, may see them. This wouldn't be for a few years is my guess. When the RDU-SFO market becomes to big to ignore, I would look for them to maybe make a move. I don't see this happening anytime soon, and United shouldn't be a player on that route since mainline doesn't fly to RDU any longer. AA could eventually be a player, however they just don't come to mind on a route such as RDU-SFO. Sorry for ranting.. :unsure:

I would think that an RDU-San Jose would be a good match. I would think a "Nerd-Bird" flight would be first by someone .....as Midway had tried it before. Just think of the power the airline could save on internal lighting as everyone's open laptop could light the insides of the plane.

For me personally, I would use the RDU-SJose more than a RDU-SFO. But a RDU-SFO could open up more Asian routes to RDUers, as now they mostly travel through east coast hubs (Chicago, DFW, Detroit, Atlanta, Dulles or NYC.) No need to stop twice in the US.

Edited by Subway Scoundrel

I'm sceptical that Virgin America would ever fly to RDU. And like you said if they do it won't be for several more years. They'll probably fly the same overserved routes everyone else flies (SFO-JFK, EWR, IAD, BOS, PHL, MIA, MCO, ORD, etc.)

As far as United goes... RDU's three biggest unserved markets are LAX, SFO, and DEN (though Delta's is starting LAX). LAX, SFO, and DEN happen to be three of United's hubs. Wouldn't it make sense to bring mainline back to RDU and fly to all of these cities once daily (maybe twice for DEN or LAX). After reading a.net for a few years I've decided that I'll never understand airlines.

I would like United to come back to RDU. Maybe after terminal C is done United will have a change in heart. It's a very good point with United relative to the unserved market. As noted, Delta will be flying RDU-LAX beginning this summer, and maybe it's just my gut instinct but I see DEN coming back within a year's time. As far as the bay area goes, I really don't know which airport, SFO or SJC, RDU will get service to. SFO has many more connection options across the west coast and international, however San Jose has a large Hi-Tech market like RDU, so I'm not going to throw out blind guesses to which is more likely. I'm just happy RDU is starting to see more west coast flights.

The sad reality is that RDU claims to be an international airport, but only has one flight that goes abroad. I think it is to London, correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways, Charlotte-Douglas has made great strides to attract real international carriers. I was shocked when I went through there last month. It really feels like a real airport. RDU is missing that for some reason. I think Raleigh should attempt to get more international friendly and that would really help put it on the map.

Forget about the flights for one minute and appreciate the original design Terminal C will have. I was just reading the RBC thread where ppl were complaining about poor architecture--here's a great example of a special design IMO. It will probably be the most original bldg of any significant size in the region.

Forget about the flights for one minute and appreciate the original design Terminal C will have. I was just reading the RBC thread where ppl were complaining about poor architecture--here's a great example of a special design IMO. It will probably be the most original bldg of any significant size in the region.

That is very true. When people arrive at the airport in the future (once the terminal is complete) they will see a very nice looking building. People remember place that stand out from the average, such as denver's ticket/baggage/security center. I can't wait to see the finished project.

As far as international flights however. The terminal will be able to handle more, but I wouldn't expect it to be from across the pond anytime soon. If you want international service try looking north toward Canada or south towards Mexico and the Gulf. I would be just as excitied as the next person to see another widebody coming into RDU from over seas, however I feel we are very lucky to have our wonderful American 777.

I just thought I'd throw this in here since there is no where else to really put it. It might have already been posted but ILM (Wilmington, NC) will be recieving service to Bermuda which then continues onto London, England. The flight will operate into London's Stansted airport. The flight is by Maxjet Airways on its 767-200. The widebody is configured to only hold 90 seats! :shok:

I hope with the new terminal being built, that the airport authority is getting bids from international carriers. that will really help put RDU on the map.

Also, I hope they plan on connecting the 2 terminals one day, perhaps by a shuttle train underground, but it might be too late for this since i've read nothing in the plans about that. I guess maybe a people mover will exist between the two.

Edited by pack-man

I hope with the new terminal being built, that the airport authority is getting bids from international carriers. that will really help put RDU on the map.

Also, I hope they plan on connecting the 2 terminals one day, perhaps by a shuttle train underground, but it might be too late for this since i've read nothing in the plans about that. I guess maybe a people mover will exist between the two.

I am no expert but I think an airport needs to be a hub to have a large number of international flights. I would think that many of those International Flagships have codeshares with US carriers so they fly into their hubs and then let the codeshares distribute people from there. I think we are lucky to have to the RDU/GTW flight we have and we can thank GSK, IBM, Body Shoppe and the military for that one. Maybe if a large international business moved in that transferred a lot of people. (Say Heinken and Phillips moved NA HQ to Triangle so therefore a Amsterdam flight could be warranted with KLM ??)

I would like to see maybe a RDU-Montreal or RDU-Ottawa flight ( 2 Tech cities) but with the AC flights to the hub in Toronto, not sure if that will happen soon.

Maybe we could see a Mexico City or Guad flight, but still seeing most of those go through Dallas, Houston or Pheonix. But again, I am no expert but I don't expect we will see a Lufthansa or Air France plane in RDU unless there is smoke in the cabin while flying overhead.

Nothing like flying into an international Airport and seeing the flagship tails from around the world. Bangkok is about the best and biggest I have seen due to all the 747's to Asia. Hong Kong and Paris are not bad either.

Edited by Subway Scoundrel

Nothing like flying into an international Airport and seeing the flagship tails from around the world. Bangkok is about the best and biggest I have seen due to all the 747's to Asia. Hong Kong and Paris are not bad either.

Frankfurt was pretty impressive, as was Zurich's as well. A ton of different tails from all over the place. JFK is my favorite though. There are airlines there I never even heard of.

• 5 months later...

While taking pictures out at the observation deck on Friday, I noticed that three large mobile cranes are on site at terminal C. I'm very excited to see cranes and beams already moving! I wasn't able to get any photos of the site because trees blocked the site. They are now in the second phase of the terminal redevelopment based on a construction timeline found on the rdu.com site.

http://rdu.com/airportdev/termc-faq.htm#howlong

Also just another interesting fact, American flight 173, the RDU to London, Gatwick flight will be returning to the Boeing 777 on October 29th. Right now its being flown on a 767. Jetblue starts service to Boston on October 18th, with their EMB-190.

Here are a few pictures I took while at RDU airport.

(I hope everyone can see them...)

1014rducfskm.jpg

1014rdun228jb.jpg

Jetblue EMB-190 heading off towards JFK

1014rdun262aa.jpg

1014rdun373da.jpg

1014rdun495wn.jpg

1014rdun7375a.jpg

American flight 173, arriving from London, Gatwick. A Boeing 767.

Great pictures. Must have been taken from the Observation Deck. I love that place. I could go out there and watch planes take off and land for hours...

BTW...seeing the picture of the JetBlue plane just reminds me of flying with them to NYC back in July. Great airline if you're heading to NYC anytime soon. They're also adding a direct flight to Boston. Great staff, affordable prices. Very glad to have them flying in and out of RDU