RDU International Airport

Rufus

More direct flights to KC, Jax, Louisville added by American/American Eagle. Is there something going on in these cities that there seems to be redundancy with ExpressJet? I know KC has a Quintiles operation so that would make sense. It kind of seems like a slimy move by American to prevent a competitor from entering this market.

N&O Story

Yes, this is a calcualated move by American Eagle to nullify Express Jet's new service. I think that American has the upper hand here since there is a large base of American Frequent Fliers in RDU. Express Jet really is in a tough position. They got dumped by Continental Airlines and are looking for a place to make money with their fleet of RJ's. Hopefully this is not Independence Airlines all over again.

...That Terminal is an eye sore and is functionally outdated.

Wait, are we still just talking about Terminal B? :wacko: It is SO frustrating to see the airport authority put good money after bad time and time again. We are still headed down the road toward having a second rate complex.

It just makes no sense for us to have two airports across the street from one another. We need a central terminal connecting to the existing terminals with people movers. ONE security point. ONE baggage claime. ON ticketing area. ONE focus for parking and drop offs.

In 1994, the Authority developed a nearly $1 billion plan to build a temporary terminal, demolish overcrowded Terminal A and build a new, larger terminal. This plan was put on hold after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks to assess the status of the aviation industry and to examine other opportunities for terminal development.

In 2002, the Airport Authority was given the opportunity to purchase American Airlines

It isn't on the current drawing board as of right now. You could just say its been put to the side for now. The fact is that with the decrease in aircraft movements after 9/11 it was no longer justifible for the runway for the cost. I believe that if nothing bad happens to hurt our economy and nation for a while and the soon to be terminal 2 is completed we might see more talking about it again. Terminal 2 could very well become a catalys for a new runway if enough flights warrant it. I wouldn't look for it anytime soon though with the terminal construction costing a good pretty penny, a new runway can easliy cost just as much if not a bit more. But just a little information on it anyways, the runway would be 9500' long and be constructed between I540 and runway 23R/5L. This may seem like very little room to build a runway; however, the new runway would work with 23R/5L (one would be used for departures while the other is used for landings) and this would allow the runways to be much closer than the two current parallel runways are now.

Edited by RDUairport

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard that renovations will begin on the soon to be former Terminal A in 2008 once Phase I of Terminal C is complete. This terminal will in fact be a low cost carrier-dedicated terminal and will be a smaller version of the new Terminal C but have the same general layout.

Terminal A will as of course like stated only get renovated. I believe the renovatioins made will help a lot to the terminal and how quickly passengers are able to get through. Before RDUAA bought terminal C from American Airlines there were plans to rebuild terminal A. It would have been made to ~900,000 sq feet just as terminal C will be now.

Heres a picture of the proposed terminal A before acquiring terminal C.

RDU%20(2).jpg

727172-600x450.jpg

Terminal A is heinous. Tear that crap down. Or, if nothing else, at least paint it.

I couldn't have said it better myself. RDU can spend over 200 million to build a very beautiful parking garage, completely raze and rebuild the newest terminal, but has no vision for the outdated Terminal A/B. What's wrong with this picture?

Edited by RALNATIVE

I know there is the big argument of why they rebuilt terminal C before looking towards terminal A, but it would be extremely difficult to work in 9 airlines along with 15 regionals to terminal C for a couple of years to make way for a new terminal A. Rebuilding terminal C and making it actually able to handle a 98% O&D market will better RDU. Yes I know terminal A is nobody's favorite but it would have cost a lost more in money to relocate airlines to a temporary terminal or in passenger's patiences to deal with all operations out of terminal C (scary thought....). terminal A's time will come, just not quite yet. The RDUAA definitely do everything they can to better RDU and I don't think they'll let us down with the renovation plans for terminal A. Just my two cents.

terminal A's time will come, just not quite yet.

I agree, there's only so much that can be done at one time. It just makes more sense to raze Terminal C and build it up to standards before dealing with A. When C's done, they could move some of A to C and over time raze it and rebuild, who knows.

:thumbsup:

I'm very happy with the response from the airlines and the additional flights; however, 11.5 million passengers is a bit too much in my own opinion. I do think we'll be somewhere around the 10 million mark give or take a few hundred thousand. Either way its still great news. If everything keeps going smoothly and nothing effects the airline business I think we might see another good size increase next year when the north concourse opens up for terminal C (just a hunch, no credibility to that at all).

Here is an article about the importance of RDU to the business community and their assessment of the airport.

Story

I can speak to this firsthand because I live out-of-state, but own a home in Raleigh and travel back nearly 1-2 times per month. It would make my trip much more hasslefree if I could catch a direct flight and be back in NC in little under 5 hours. And now that hightech (and biotech) is beginning to boom again in Silicon Valley, it would be beneficial to the Triangle for RDU to increase nonstop service to that region.

Just when you think we've seen all the new markets another one comes up. Today Midwest Airlines announced that they will be flying to RDU again. This is their 3rd time with service to RDU. Midwest will fly to Milwaukee three times a day using CRJs. I couldn't be more happy for RDU right now... well unless we got another scheduled heavy to come in :scared: .

Link: Midwest announces service to RDU from Milwaukee