New Large Shopping Center Planned

PJA

Developers are planning a new big box development at Wheeler Rd. and I-20. It will be approximately 400,000 sq. feet almost the size of Mullins Crossing. It will contain potential tenants not in the market as well as a few that would relocate from somewhere in the metro. They are awaiting approval for rezoning from Columbia County now and will seek approval from Richmond County if Columbia County approves. Some of the issues being considered is the two lane road of Flowing Wells Rd which would have to be widened at least part of the way.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, actually Flowing Wells Rd. is already on the Project list to be widened to 5 lanes anyway. From Wheeler Rd. to Columbia Rd. In fact, I still think Right of way is already underway, or close to starting.

You know I really should of saw this one coming. It's really the only large wooden acreage left in west Augusta. and strangely underdeveloped. :blink: Well Here we go again, maybe this will start up more spin-off developments.

And FTR, I think they misreported Regency Mall square footage. The Chronicle reported it as 400,000, but I thought it actually was 800,000.

I'll bet ya next it'll be on the Southside intersection of Wheeler Rd, on the Rich. Co side of Flowing wells, and then in about 10 years, maybe sooner (wouldn't surprise me) it'll be another Washington Rd. But this is good news though, and both counties can benefit.

Regency mall was MUCH larger than 400,000 sq. ft. At its height it had 120 retailers and 4 large departments stores, plus a movie cinema. I read years ago in a georgia almanac that it was 1.2 million sq. ft., but that was over doing it I think. Im sure it is at least a million though.

I think i saw this coming too Dagaboystinger. I was thinking the other day why havent any developments made their way too the Wheeler rd./20 exit. I think there were plans for a waterpark there years ago but then they built Crystal River in Evans. Well, with this development along with The Villages, Forum, Mullins phase II, Augusta Mall Lifestyle expansion, the new Home Depot (possible) center in Evans and other smaller retail centers going up or planned in Evans/W. Augusta, Id say the Georgia side of the metro is looking at nearly 2.3-2.5 million sq. ft. of new retail space.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

No, I think this is the one by the Augusta Exchange behind the Foxhall Neighborhood. It's amazing how even mid way through construction, how things just suddenly change.

anyways, I do think this wouldn't be a bad change, since some Foxhall residents may of wanted more residential units, instead of just shopping.

I still say something like this should continue to go towards downtown before it heads out this way. What does everyone else think of having mixed-use here in this area?

No, I think this is the one by the Augusta Exchange behind the Foxhall Neighborhood. It's amazing how even mid way through construction, how things just suddenly change.

anyways, I do think this wouldn't be a bad change, since some Foxhall residents may of wanted more residential units, instead of just shopping.

I still say something like this should continue to go towards downtown before it heads out this way. What does everyone else think of having mixed-use here in this area?

I'm not sure. Give me a bulldozer, a couple gallons of coffee, and a carton of cigs, and I could have the job handled in a few days!!! Seriously, I would like to bulldoze every thing on Washington Road, all the way from Warren Road down to Publix (Publix can stay because it's a cool building, they have good seafood, and my Mexican place is in the parking lot). I mean everything else though. It's all tacky!!!

• 3 months later...

Archived