Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

twoshort

Heartwell wants to fight prop 2

20 posts in this topic

That's what I want to know. The city is flat broke, but they can pony up a bunch of cash for lawyers to fight a ballot proposal that they don't like?

What pisses me off is Heartwell wants to try an overturn what we the people decided in a legitimate ballot initiative.

What little respect I had for him just tanked.

You know the old saying, "If you can't win an election, have the courts win it for you". The President of U of M is mounting the same legal battle, which is strange because her salary is partly paid for by the State taxpayers. Also, the proposal didn't outlaw companies or organizations that want to keep minority based programs.

Shouldn't Heartwell be worried about taking care of his own backyard first? He was elected to serve Grand Rapids, not work in Lansing.

My respect and admiration for Mayor Heartwell just increased ten-fold.

That's what I want to know. The city is flat broke, but they can pony up a bunch of cash for lawyers to fight a ballot proposal that they don't like?

You really think this is a good use of the city's money?

im glad it passed :unsure: I always feel bad saying that for some reason?, I just think its time to move on and let the best man (or woman) win!

According to the article, it's because you are suffering from "white guilt."

Grand Rapids' affirmative action programs aren't without problems.

Take, for instance, one of the recent construction projects downtown. A concrete contractor, apparently well-known for their shoddy work, won the bid for this project, despite not having the lowest bid. Since their employees include a certain required ratio of migrant workers, they got the job over the lower bidding contractor. The contractor did such a terrible job on the sidewalks that they had to be redone at GR taxpayers' expense.

Contracting businesses owned by women also get a one-up on others in the bidding process. At least one contractor has taken advantage of this by saying that his mother "owns" the business.

I'm not surprised with many of the comments on here, though I still feel disgusted to read them.

Equal means equal opportunity, not equal result. I'm all for laws that help create equal opportunity. How is basing decisions on race good when it helps the minority, but bad when it hurts the minority? They're both racist.

-nb

I'm not surprised with many of the comments on here, though I still feel disgusted to read them.

What is the point of having an election and then overturning what the people voted for? Sort of defeats the entire purpose. The people have spoken . . if you don't like it, get it back on the ballot and push hard for your position. Bringing legal action would completley undermine the entire democratic system of voting.

What is the point of having an election and then overturning what the people voted for? Sort of defeats the entire purpose. The people have spoken . . if you don't like it, get it back on the ballot and push hard for your position. Bringing legal action would completley undermine the entire democratic system of voting.