# 1 Priority: Move I-91, Reclaim Park River

grock

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's easier than ever. We have two senior Democratic senators and a Democratic senate. Congressman John Larson is a high ranking house member in the Democratic controlled House.

They should be able to get federal funds, as Kerry and Kennedy were for the Big Dig in Boston.

The Connecticut congressional committee is one of the least effective on the hill. Connecticut usually pays muchmore in federal taxes than it brings home. By some measues is the biggest loser when it comes to federal funds.

The states that get the most usually have two parties in play.

Connectucut is a very wealthy state. It makes sense that CT would pay more in taxes than it gets back from the federal government.

I'm an urban planning student and I'm writing a paper on the subject of how to deal with riverfront highways. It is very rare for a city to dismantle a freeway; Portland, OR, San Francisco, and Minneapolis MN have done it, and Seattle is considering it.

One of the differences between Providence and Hartford is that Providence never had an expressway built blocking access from its downtown to its waterfront. Most of Providence's downtown work was around removing the coverings over the Providence River.

Dealing with Hartford is a much bigger challenge because of I-91. I don't know if Hartford could pull off a Big Dig-like tunnel construction. That would be ideal. I think it would be great if we could at least partly bury it, then cover it over with parkland. It might look like a small levee from the outside.

Which means what, exactly? That nobody could ever embark on a similar project without fear of the same corruption?

The Big Dig was the first project of its kind, which (unfortunately for Massachusetts taxpayers) means that the Big Dig will have to serve as the model for all such projects that follow it. OK, so let's learn from the mistakes Massachusett made. Fault the execution all you want, but the idea behind the Big Dig was still brilliant.

Here's what I think could be done realistically.

First, I-91 will stay in Hartford; there's no way around that. It will also stay near the river; there's no way around that as well. With that said, a couple of highway segments (especially the northbound lanes) could be decked over fairly easily and allow for riverfront development. I think the Convention Center pedestrian plaza could be extended over I-91 to meet Riverfront Recapture. I also think the northbound lanes of I-91 and the railroad line could be decked over between the Founders and Bulkley Bridges. Kinsley Street could be extended eastward and some riverfront development (retail, residences, etc.) could occur on top of the dikes.

Second, I think there is enormous opportunity along the Park River. I've recommended the following before. I would get rid of the Whitehurst Highway, unearth the river, and reconfigure Arch and Sheldon Streets between Columbus Boulevard and Pulaski Circle. Arch Street would feature three lanes westbound and Sheldon Street would feature three lanes eastbound. Both roads would terminate at Columbus Boulevard. The existing Exit 29A of I-91 would be removed and replaced with a new interchange to the south connecting to a widened boulevard-like Charter Oak Avenue north of Coltsville.

I would landscape the slope between the Arch, Sheldon, and the Park River and promote new low to mid-rise developments along Arch and Sheldon. I would also recommend removing the library (I know it was recently renovated) and constructing a new facility to the south.

Here's what I think could be done realistically.

First, I-91 will stay in Hartford; there's no way around that. It will also stay near the river; there's no way around that as well. With that said, a couple of highway segments (especially the northbound lanes) could be decked over fairly easily and allow for riverfront development. I think the Convention Center pedestrian plaza could be extended over I-91 to meet Riverfront Recapture. I also think the northbound lanes of I-91 and the railroad line could be decked over between the Founders and Bulkley Bridges. Kinsley Street could be extended eastward and some riverfront development (retail, residences, etc.) could occur on top of the dikes.

Second, I think there is enormous opportunity along the Park River. I've recommended the following before. I would get rid of the Whitehurst Highway, unearth the river, and reconfigure Arch and Sheldon Streets between Columbus Boulevard and Pulaski Circle. Arch Street would feature three lanes westbound and Sheldon Street would feature three lanes eastbound. Both roads would terminate at Columbus Boulevard. The existing Exit 29A of I-91 would be removed and replaced with a new interchange to the south connecting to a widened boulevard-like Charter Oak Avenue north of Coltsville.

I would landscape the slope between the Arch, Sheldon, and the Park River and promote new low to mid-rise developments along Arch and Sheldon. I would also recommend removing the library (I know it was recently renovated) and constructing a new facility to the south.

Archived