Franklin's McEwen Place

ATLBrain

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This development seems pretty good. It seems denser than even most other New Urbanist projects.

EDIT: I did some research, and found the website for the project. www.mcewenplace.net

The style of the apartments look great and the whole towncenter area is nice, and location of the whole project is awesome. It's much better than the strip malls and neighborhoods that could have gone there. However, I did notice two problems. One is that there seem to be several parking lots. They seem hidden, but still. When will New Urbanist projects actually start using parking garages? They're wasting space that could be more apartments or retail for them. And also, my biggest pet peeve that every single New Urbanist project does: the huge lake surrounded by homes. Why do they always do that? It just messes up the street pattern, if there is one, and is just very suburbany. But I guess "lakefront homes" are worth more.

One more good thing though. This project does integrate very well with the area, because it actually has several connecting roads that people can use to actually go through the whole thing. That way people who don't actually live there will use the roads. It will make it seem more natural to the area, and not just another subdivision cut off from the world.

Alright, now they're talking. Anybody that doubts the potential of this project should drive out to Westhaven and take a look at primo nostalgia fantasy-land done right.

It's pretty mind-numbing how these realestate, suburban planner types have an epiphany while eating lunch in the freaking parking lot of their stupid office building, "Hmm, this kinda sucks. I wonder how, if given the opportunity, I could improve on this environment? Oh, yeah, one of those city-thingies, with a street grid, where you can walk or drive, and people live near their work, hmmmm."

If you look again Cheerio, you can see at least one parking garage, sort of in the left-middle of the town center rendering and also on the very right edge, is what looks to be another parking deck.

I wonder what the true valuation of the project is. The paper said $3.3 million which is impossibly small for a development, but $3.3 billion would seem a pretty steep unless this is much larger than I think it is.

I'm anxious to see this one. I'd like to see developers able to do this kind of thing close to downtown, but land costs might be prohibitive. Adding a few floors here and there, but keeping the same concept would be nice to see downtown.

It's pretty mind-numbing how these realestate, suburban planner types have an epiphany while eating lunch in the freaking parking lot of their stupid office building, "Hmm, this kinda sucks. I wonder how, if given the opportunity, I could improve on this environment? Oh, yeah, one of those city-thingies, with a street grid, where you can walk or drive, and people live near their work, hmmmm."

• 8 months later...

The McEwen and Westhaven projects are well underway and look to be promising developments in the Franklin Area. Here are a few renderings of the McEwen project as well as a couple of websites for both developments.

http://www.mcewen-tn.com/Residential/Apart...48/Default.aspx

http://www.mcewen-tn.com/

http://www.westhaventc.com/

I'll take this type of suburban development over most suburban development any day of the week. These type of developments encourage more walking, and have much more of an urban feel about them. By their denser nature, the result is less suburban sprawl. That's a very good thing, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

What's an artificial subdivision? Perhaps what you meant to say was "artificial town"? Like Seaside, FL? Which seemed to be a real town last time I visited. I think it's still there. Either way, being able to walk to retail/entertainment/work/playgrounds/restaurants, etc. within your neighborhood without driving seems more practical than artificial. I've been to Westhaven once. I'd never live there unless I worked there, but it seems like a pleasant place to live, even if it's artificial.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Great find! I just about went down to Cool Springs today to make a photo journal of all the changes that have taken place in the last few years and to get shots of all the new construction. There are cranes up all over the place in that area.

When I first moved here in '95 there were no multi story buildings in this area that I can remember, and now there are probably 20 or 25 mid rise buildings either finished or under way. I cant say I am a fan of all the sprawl but it can be impressive.

I would not have even thought there would be two ten story buildings in Ashland City just a couple of years ago. Now a very nice riverfront development with a marina with condos selling for $600,000.

Again, I know this has been posted, but their website has changed a fair bit over the past several months. They had a big orientation for realtors this week and an event for people to come and get info this weekend at the movie theatre. In many ways it'll redefine Cool Springs. Intrestingly, it has a lot of buzz going for it, and people are really getting excited and into it and the concept behind it.

http://www.mcewen-tn.com/

Archived