Why don't people use clothes lines anymore?

monsoon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, it stranger to think about the places clothes lines are used, like Japan mentioned from before. It still confuses me, from what I could tell, that dryers aren't used in Ireland that much (where it rains about once a day).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't question the use of clothes dryers, but I do wonder why we don't utilize the energy that comes from them a little more efficiently.

I mean, why do we vent that nice warm exhaust air directly out of the house?

Why not route that warm exhaust into some sort of heat exchanger thingamajiggy that can put that energy into something else, like heating water or the house?

• 2 months later...
Yes, that is the reason for my question. They are very advanced but still resort to very pragmatic ways to save energy such as using a clothes line to dry clothes. Clothes dryers were relatively unknown in the United States 40 years ago. A clothes dryer uses an enormous amount of energy when you consider that not only are you paying to heat clothes to evaporate water out of the, but you are also paying a lot of money to re-heat or cool the air that is drawn into your house that is exhausted by the dryer. A double whammy in energy usage.

On the comment about space, I saw a lot of these on balconies of Japanese highrises. This is off the label of a couple of these things that I got my sister to bring her for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed in the Condo docs for the condo I just bought it says that no clothing may be hung from the exterior of the building <_< . And I have a nice balcony that would be perfect for clothes drying...

Clothes lines are still in use, though, around my new neighborhood. I drove around there this past weekend and saw a number of triple deckers that had pulley lines connected to the building next door, or a pole, whatever.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this because I haven't read through all the replies, but in my opinion it depends upon where you live. For example, I grew up near a freeway and frequently smelled the "Aroma of Tacoma" from a nearby papermill. Clothes left outside to dry would stink.

• 10 months later...
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this because I haven't read through all the replies, but in my opinion it depends upon where you live. For example, I grew up near a freeway and frequently smelled the "Aroma of Tacoma" from a nearby papermill. Clothes left outside to dry would stink.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I DO use a clothes line. I haven't used my dryer regularly in over a year now. It represents a large savings on my electric and gas bills as well as helping my clothes last longer. I dry my clothes indoors on rainy days. I do put a few things in the dryer every month or so to bring back elasticity or to shrink up jeans or tshirts, but overall using a clothes dryer is a very simple way to lower your energy consumption and lengthen the life of your clothes.

The United States is one of the few places where MOST ppl dry their clothes in a dryer. My European friends think we are nuts ;)

If you're determined to wash your clothes in a clothes dryer (many homeowners associations prohibit the use of clothes lines so many have no alternative) you can go buy yourself a dryer ball. Your local hardware store (maybe big box stores too) should carry these. They keep your clothes separated during the cycle so they dry quicker and more uniform. It also satisfies the need for fabric softener so no need to buy any when you use one.

Archived