Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sonofaque86

Ballentine Trying To Become A Town

71 posts in this topic

Isn't it interestting how the suburban town (Irmo) that didn't want the metro city (Cola) to extend it's borders is now worried that it won't be able to extend it's own borders.

Karma is one word for it.

And Irmo is doing the exact same thing Cola did with the shoe string annex. This is so ironic

I dont really know how I feel about this. I see the positives and negatives of both sides. I guess ultimately it comes down to local control over issues... but then, they coudl jsut annex into Irmo and have more centralized government in the NW suburbs.

Most incorporation efforts don't. But it is no doubt more likely now that the population threshold has been lowered from 15,000 to 7,000, thanks to Sen. McConnell.

I hope more of the homeowners out there will opt to get annexed into Irmo or Columbia (if they can).

From some of the statements in The State, these meetings are getting pretty contentious.

Quick! Call in the reinforcements before more of the prisoners escape! We need fewer incorporated towns, not more. Has no one out there ever heard of economies of scale?

There is really no reason for Forest Acres, Dentsville, or Arcadia Lakes to exist as incorporate municipalities. There is definitely more of a justification for Irmo's existence.

There is really no reason for Forest Acres, Dentsville, or Arcadia Lakes to exist as incorporate municipalities. There is definitely more of a justification for Irmo's existence.

I don't think Dentsville is incorportated. I agree about Forest Acres and Arcadia Lakes though.

^I think they used to be sepearated by some space years and years ago and just grew together. My grandmother said people from Columbia would vacation at Arcadia lakes in the 20s.

Wow! Columbia grew right through Arcardia Lakes! I'm guessing it was just forest in the 20s. lol

^The history of Columbia is pretty interesting. There used to be a zoo on North Main in the early 1900s.

When did Forest Acres and Arcadia Lakes incorporate?

Sorry about the confusion concerning Dentsville.

A zoo on North Main in the early 1900's? Wow, who would have thunk....was it in what was then the town of Eau Claire?

A zoo on North Main in the early 1900's? Wow, who would have thunk....was it in what was then the town of Eau Claire?

Here is a recent article talking about how it would do more harm than good if Ballentine incorporates

Thats a well written article. I agree with it 100%. We want less government, not more. Irmo can provide that local control if they really want it.