Ballentine Trying To Become A Town

sonofaque86

The Feb 1 issue of The Irmo News has a Page 1 article on Ballentine. A revised map has been completed, which proponents feel will past muster with Irmo. The proposed town would have 3,274 residents and 5.6 square miles. The northern border is basically along the RR tracks to the north of Hwy. 76. The southern border would be Lake Murray. Dutch Fork Road runs through the middle of the proposed town. The Richland/Lexington line and Dutch Fork Road is the western-most point. The only area that borders Irmo is the Milford Park subdivision, otherwise there is a buffer between the new proposed town and Irmo. Incorporation proponent Les Tweed said the new map should satisfy Irmo's concerns. "We backed off everywhere they wanted us to" he says. Irmo Town Council will review the map on Feb.5 and the Ballentine Dutch Fork Civic Association on Feb 6. I guess we will know soon whether the refurendum will make it to the voters.

There is a map included with the article.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's something pretty interesting, although not directly related to Ballentine incorporation efforts (but somewhat related).

The site of the proposed Wal-Mart that Irmo annexed that spurred the Ballentine area to pursue incorporation has been discovered to have a previously undisvered species of weevil living near it. It's possible that that area may be the only place in the world where they live.

Here's something pretty interesting, although not directly related to Ballentine incorporation efforts (but somewhat related).

The site of the proposed Wal-Mart that Irmo annexed that spurred the Ballentine area to pursue incorporation has been discovered to have a previously undisvered species of weevil living near it. It's possible that that area may be the only place in the world where they live.

It seems as if this "secessionist fever" is sweeping across this state with an incorporation effort by this community. Why do these people feel that they're not in the Columbia area? Many of you guys have pointed out the same arguments made against incorporation that people have used against the incorporation of James Island in my hometown. The only difference is that Ballentine's boundaries do not surround previously annexed areas from Irmo or Cola.

However, I agree with the article sonofaque gave. Incorporating this area further divides Richland County and siphens tax revenue that ordinarily the existing cities would receive. It just doesn't make sense to have a redundant, additional bureaucracy dictating building codes and providing zoning which would already be done by the city of Irmo. What is this potential town going to do for fire and police protection? Model the James Island credo of making county residents pay for these things? :rolleyes:

• 11 months later...

The old argument of local government has resurfaced with this incorporation. Do you incorporate and have more local control, or annex into the adjacent town to work towards better controls and still have local representation?

Creating a new town here is a mistake, IMO. If they want better controls they can get it, they just need to go through the system that exists. Look at Charleston or larger cities like Pittsburgh, PA, or the New Jersey portion of New York. Its disconnected sprawl, all in the name of local control.

Article

I totally agree with Spartan! The last thing this area needs is more little fiefdoms to wage war on each other. We are already holding ourselves back because of all of the division and bickering among the various levels of government. The comparison to the New Jersey suburbs of New York is right on. You have a similar situation with the burbs around Philadelphia. And, poor Boston is probably in the worst condition of them all.

We could all learn a valuable lesson from New York city itself where multiple counties (boroughs) joined together to form one city. That model sure worked for them. Look how they grew. (Although,I know that many folks here are fighting growth.) Go figure.

Everything is possible.

Census-designated places:

Casas Adobes, Pima County, Arizona: 54,011 inh. (2000)

Lehigh Acres, Lee County, Florida: 67,867 (2006)

Villages:

Baker, Stoddard County, Missouri: 5 (2000) third richest place in the United States.

Dededo, Guam: 46,000 (2004)

Towns:

Westcliffe, Custer County, Colorado: 417 (2000)

Apple Valley, San Bernardino County, California: 67 507 (2006)

Cities:

Weeki Wachee, Hernando County, Florida: 12 (2004)

Islandia, Miami-Dade County, Florida: 6 (2004)

I found the discussion very interesting. I meant, with the examples, that Ballentine could remain unincorporated even with 50,000 people or become a city.

I don't know how the city limits are drawn, some of them are crazy with caruncles and enclaves ! I agree with Doug L, post #43. Changing the counties of a metro area in boroughs is a good idea. Is that possible in South Carolina ? Canada seems to be in the same case, Quebec has recently taken "punchy" decisions, a bit relaxed later, but cities are coherents now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipal_reo...ation_in_Quebec

Archived