Gateway University Research Park

krazeeboi

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

Greensboro makes another step forward in the tech world which will attract more hitech jobs to Greensboro and the Triad. North Carolina A&T State University and UNC-Greensboro are planning to build a Nanotechnology School at it planned joint research park near the intersection of Lee Street and I-40/bus 85.

the nanotech school would offer doctoral degrees and would have departments of nanoscience and nanoengineering.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/61124020

Wow!! This is great news for the Triad. Not only do we have RTP in the Triangle, the planned Dole Foods research facility in Kannapolis and PTRP in Winston-Salem, but this as well. I'm very pro-research and this is great for Greensboro. This will also add some other jobs linked/related to research. Seems that the I-40/85 corridor in NC is becoming a research corridor.:)

Wow!! This is great news for the Triad. Not only do we have RTP in the Triangle, the planned Dole Foods research facility in Kannapolis and PTRP in Winston-Salem, but this as well. I'm very pro-research and this is great for Greensboro. This will also add some other jobs linked/related to research. Seems that the I-40/85 corridor in NC is becoming a research corridor.:)

You are indeed correct. I think what we are seeing in the making is a research corridor stretch from Raleigh to Winston-Salem and eventully connecting with Charlotte. Im just glad Greensboro is finally changing gears into becoming a major research/hitech manufacturing/distribution hub.

Then there's Centennial in Raleigh and Carolina North in Chapel Hill. Couldn't this possibly be perceived as overkill?

True. Nanotech is the new biotech. NCSU and UNC already have incredibly strong programs in nanotech established years ago. The new physical science complex at UNC will have a major nanotech component tied in with chemistry,physics and material sciences-incorporated into biomed as well. The Triad is once again behind the curve. I really think some school officials need to get a bit more creative.

True. Nanotech is the new biotech. NCSU and UNC already have incredibly strong programs in nanotech established years ago. The new physical science complex at UNC will have a major nanotech component tied in with chemistry,physics and material sciences-incorporated into biomed as well. The Triad is once again behind the curve. I really think some school officials need to get a bit more creative.

Nanotech is still in its infancy where the possibilties are unlimited. There is great potential in Greensboro despite the fact the Triangle is a few steps ahead. I see future computer and microchip technologies emerging from nanotechnolgy.

Not sure "behind the curve" is an apt description, more like "flex it's muscles". There are several schools here that can pull this off, and can also capture spillover from the Triangle, given their proximity. A company may want to locate in an established place, but is hardly going to balk at the PTRP or anything GSO puts up because they are a short drive away, and both also have a skilled and educated workforce and the affluence to go along with it, an affluence that, incidentally, predates certain other areas. Initially, NC as a whole may be putting up too many such research parks when these are combined with Kannapolis, but the state has a more solid case than most, the Triad in particular. It is an over capacity that is going to be filled, there are just too many reasons to do so, already evidenced by the amount of location/relocation in the state already.

But couldn't that give the impression of pitting metro areas within a state (and in this case, two cities in the same metro area as well) against each other? I guess it depends on what the overall focus of the research park will be. You want to avoid substantial overlap, particularly with more advanced facilities in your own state. It seems like it could be a setup for disappointment. Of course, I really hope it's not, and this really isn't all that uncommon; just about every state/city hoping to jump-start or revitalize its economy is attempting to do so through high-tech research. There's just a lot of competition out there already, so this research park in Greensboro will have to offer or do something that the others don't. How good is A&T's nanotech program?

i hope this new "nanotechnology" park does at least SOME work on real nanotechnology, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_nanotechnology the term nanotechnology has been twisted by companies to mean anything smaller than a micro scale in order to receive grant money. true molecular nanotechnology is the cool stuff. :thumbsup:

There many areas of nanotechnology. My most recent stint is Phd EE work in the area of RF (Radio Frequency) and microdevices at NC A&T. RF Micro Devices is the US leader in this area (cell phone IC's - the microchips that are used in cell phones) and is headquartered in Greensboro http://www.rfmd.com/. NC A&T and NCSU are volumes ahead of most other universities in NC as they are engineering research facilities and generally have resources.

There are collaborations between NCSU, NCA&T, UNCG, UNC, etc. The project I work on includes Phd students from Syracuse, Michigan, NC A&T and NCSU. There are many other working agreements between companies/universities in the Triad and Triangle. I know I-85/I-40 quite well, as do many other reseachers/students.

There's enough room and research to go around.

Then there's Centennial in Raleigh and Carolina North in Chapel Hill. Couldn't this possibly be perceived as overkill?

Not to mention UNCC's CRI campus which will focus on Physics, Optics and Biometrics. I think NC is on a research park craze, but as long as they diverse the research, like having nutrition at Kannapolis, nanotech in Greensboro, etc.... I think it will be easier to attract companies and researchers, instead of having the whole state competiting with itself.

• 3 weeks later...

here is the name for the research park in Greensboro

Gateway University Research Park (GURP) There will be two seperate research campuses for GURP both about 75 acres. One will be locateed in North Greensboro near Bryan Park and Hwy 29 (I-785). The other about 3 miles east of downtown at the intersection of Lee Street and Bus 85/I-40. There will be a big focus on Nanotech and researching on alternative fuel sources.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/61221032

research park website:

http://www.gatewayurp.com/

Hot off the press from Triad Bizjournals and News and Record:

http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Sounds promising, indeed. This area of the city and county is definitely poised to be one of the new hot spots of the Triad and potentially of the state. Residential development is already booming..... my only complaint is the location. I'd prefer it closer to the interstate for better visibility.

I came across this article in Site Selection magazine online about the emerging nanotechnology sector in the Greensboro area.

interesting. Nanotech is taking root very quickly in Greensboro and companies are looking to Greensboro and its universities for nanotechnology. The planned research park and nanotech college at the research park will help incubate that industry here.

High Performance Coatings, which employs nanotechnology in its products and has markets that include NASCAR, is ramping up operations at its new East Coast facility near Greensboro."

"As we began to work with the state, we could see what the nanotechnology initiative would entail," Clayson says. "Their commitment has grown, particularly in the manufacturing end. They very quickly put us in touch with the materials science group at North Carolina A&T in Greensboro and other key areas of materials science in the state."

Hot off the press from Triad Bizjournals and News and Record:

http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Sounds promising, indeed. This area of the city and county is definitely poised to be one of the new hot spots of the Triad and potentially of the state. Residential development is already booming..... my only complaint is the location. I'd prefer it closer to the interstate for better visibility.

The Lee Street campus will border business 85 and I-40. The north campus will be near I-785 which could end up being the I-83 conncetor route between Greensboro and Baltimore. The Reedy Fork Ranch development is near the north campus site and it looks like the campus will help spur residential development northeast of Greensboro city limits.

The logo colors they used for the research park is fitting because the university colors for both NC A&T and UNCG are coincidently blue and gold. I cant believe they are breaking ground on the research park so soon. It usually takes years to get something like this off the ground and the first buildings for the Lee Steet campus should be ready late next year. The good thing about the research park is not only is there enough land for research companies and labratories but there is enough room for a nanotech college and plenty of space for associated hitech manufacturing facilities. This sounds like it will become a premier research campus. The park will also raise the profile and prestigue of the two universities. It would be great if Elon University got invovled as well.

"health genetics to biotechnology to social sciences. The schools also hope to locate a Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering at the park, and have asked the UNC Board of Governors for $60 million to fund that specific project."

Technology Focus

• Nanotechnology (application of science to developing new materials and processes by manipulating molecular and atomic particles)

• Biotechnology and Biochemistry (genetic manipulation, cellular and developmental biology, pharmacology, physiology)

• Electronics and Human Factors (electrical and software engineering, internet and computer security, data visualization and simulation, high performance computing, artificial intelligence, neural networks)

• Environmental Sciences (water quality, aquatic ecology, waste remediation, chemical hazards, pollution reduction, environmental restoration, geographic information systems, land use)

• Food and Nutrition (disease prevention, diet analyses, bone biology, mineral/vitamin absorption)

• Health Genetics (personalized medicine, health counseling, community health, and DNA Core Lab for gene sequencing and genotyping)

• Materials Science and Engineering (polymer and composites science, surface modifications)

• Alternate and Renewable Energy

• Social Sciences

• Other areas of cutting-edge, scientific study--driven by the ongoing and continually changing research programs at NCA&T and UNCG Financing

Archived