Gateway University Research Park

krazeeboi

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ What's the aversion to building parking garages? I'm continuously baffled by this, over half the acreage is surface parking lots, they could have gotten by with less land and created less a problem for ground water absorption, had greater natural areas, and created less eyeblight. :angry:

=================================

I don't know about the acronym GURP. I'm a big believer that the tiny seemingly insignificant details really determine things in life, and names are an important one, GURP is not one I see being taken all that seriously. Of course, the "G" is hard to get around here, as it is either "Guilford", "Greensboro" or "Gateway" for the place identifier...

this is great news! by having a university that already has a long history in research and development, i believe that this will be built out sooner than later.

i didnt read the whole article, but is this the same project as aggie farm? i remember reading an article stating that A&T had land for a new campus near I-40?

I cant believe they are breaking ground on the research park so soon. It usually takes years to get something like this off the ground and the first buildings for the Lee Steet campus should be ready late next year.

It depends. Two research campuses underway in SC are really plowing along after having been announced not that long ago. I remember asking about this proposed campus at least a year ago and no one knew anything about it.

Good point about the surface parking vs. parking garages, nowensone. Parking garages would makes for a more compact development so it would be easier for the city to grow up around it. Although GURP won't be built within the urban core like PTRP, it should still take notes from it.

this is great news! by having a university that already has a long history in research and development, i believe that this will be built out sooner than later.

i didnt read the whole article, but is this the same project as aggie farm? i remember reading an article stating that A&T had land for a new campus near I-40?

yup part of the Aggie farm

Everyone is probably in a hurry on these types of facilities so another place doesn't lure the companies away first. Have not heard of the research campuses underway in SC, though I'm glad they're getting into this game as well, anything to attract brain power like this to the region is a good thing.

Everyone is probably in a hurry on these types of facilities so another place doesn't lure the companies away first. Have not heard of the research campuses underway in SC, though I'm glad they're getting into this game as well, anything to attract brain power like this to the region is a good thing.

Its good for the whole state. The park will help connect the dots in creating a research and development corridor in NC.

Yep, there's the International Center for Automotive Research spearheaded by Clemson in Greenville and USC's Innovista in downtown Columbia. Interestingly, the four focus areas of Innovista (environmental, biotech, nanotech, alternative fuels) will also be focus areas of GURP.

^ Nice overlay, cityboi, I like site maps like that.

Yep, there's the International Center for Automotive Research spearheaded by Clemson in Greenville and USC's Innovista in downtown Columbia. Interestingly, the four focus areas of Innovista (environmental, biotech, nanotech, alternative fuels) will also be focus areas of GURP.
How funny, ICAR has a NASCAR pic prominently on the home page as well, and Innovista looks cool, actually dense and urban (natural given it's setting of course).

I'd love to see an ordinance for commercial and development that required leveled parking when occurring in greenfield or forested areas, I can't really see a downside to that, is the cost of going up for something basic and open structured like a garage really cost prohibitive when weighed against the cost savings from requiring less real estate, not to mention the environmental savings?

• 2 months later...

here is an update on the push for a nanotechnology school/lab in Greensboro at Gateway University Research Park.

"A $65 million investment by taxpayers in the N.C. A&T-UNCG project would pay dividends by attracting corporations to the city and fostering new businesses."

"As outlined by experts Wednesday, nanotechnology will affect work in a broad range of fields. For example, boosters said that nanotechnology helped create the metals used in the ultralight jets HondaJet plans to build at Piedmont Triad International Airport."

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../-1/NEWSREC0201

Wow. It's like they said- let's do our best to replicate all the suburban land use planning mistakes of RTP! What a terrible design. They'd do themselves a big favor by tearing up these plans and letting Chad Davis from Winston-Salem take a crack at it.

Wow. It's like they said- let's do our best to replicate all the suburban land use planning mistakes of RTP! What a terrible design. They'd do themselves a big favor by tearing up these plans and letting Chad Davis from Winston-Salem take a crack at it.

RTP is much much larger in land area than this research park. This is a good land-use for this tract of land. The main research campus will only be a few miles east of downtown.

RTP is much much larger in land area than this research park. This is a good land-use for this tract of land. The main research campus will only be a few miles east of downtown.

Once again, you're missing the point. The single-use, tons of surface parking research park concept IS the problem. I know this is close to downtown. But this development rejects the character of downtown. PART has identified NC A&T as a station for commuter rail. (PDF)

If you look at Google Maps, you'll see that the area bounded by Laurel, Bluford, and Daniel, with Obermeyer in the middle, is mostly parking lots or trees. You could build 6-8 story buildings here, in the heart of the NC A&T campus, and be located in a much more walkable location with access to the rail lines, and build a dense, urban fabric, while probably accommodating all of the space needs of the researchers. Instead, they're going to create an auto-dependent single-use monolith with no mixture of uses that guarantees everyone who works and studies there will drive.

It's just a terrible missed opportunity.

The workers will be thinking 30 years in the future while the buildings they labor in will be celebrating 1950s-era suburban planning mistakes.

NC A&T State University to launch its first spin-off biotech company. It will be called Provagen and will be located on the A&T campus. Eventually the company will move to Gateway University Research Park.

"the company plans to commercialize a technology developed in A&T's agricultural science labs that uses "Protein V" to purify and isolate antibodies that can be used in a number of disease treatment and diagnostic applications."

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...3070800^1425125

• 5 weeks later...

Once again, you're missing the point. The single-use, tons of surface parking research park concept IS the problem. I know this is close to downtown. But this development rejects the character of downtown. PART has identified NC A&T as a station for commuter rail. (PDF)

If you look at Google Maps, you'll see that the area bounded by Laurel, Bluford, and Daniel, with Obermeyer in the middle, is mostly parking lots or trees. You could build 6-8 story buildings here, in the heart of the NC A&T campus, and be located in a much more walkable location with access to the rail lines, and build a dense, urban fabric, while probably accommodating all of the space needs of the researchers. Instead, they're going to create an auto-dependent single-use monolith with no mixture of uses that guarantees everyone who works and studies there will drive.

It's just a terrible missed opportunity.

The workers will be thinking 30 years in the future while the buildings they labor in will be celebrating 1950s-era suburban planning mistakes.

I wish there was some way for the "locals" to express frustration about land-use here, like they're able to for residential planning.

• 1 month later...
I still think it should be built downtown, between the two schools, with a light rail system connecting the two schools to the research park. But, that's just me. :whistling:
I guess near the old GTCC site where there are tracks close by...that would be a good site if it were being built downtown.

I still think it should be built downtown, between the two schools, with a light rail system connecting the two schools to the research park. But, that's just me. :whistling:

This is an excellent idea!!! Are the members of this forum just naturally smarter than the research park planners? I can't understand why they don't come up with some of these ideas! :thumbsup:

I guess near the old GTCC site where there are tracks close by...that would be a good site if it were being built downtown.

I would say in southside on the southwest corner. This is behind the old smothers train station where Green St. becomes Spring Garden. That empty space would be good plus the rail lines there are rarley used by N.S. anyway.

I would say in southside on the southwest corner. This is behind the old smothers train station where Green St. becomes Spring Garden. That empty space would be good plus the rail lines there are rarley used by N.S. anyway.

that section of downtown is hard to get to. there really arent any streets because of the rail line and I always invisioned highrise condos there but that would also be good for the school to. The land would have to be cleaned. I think there is some contamination there due to some of the nearby businesses

Archived