Show your Urban Design ideas in pictures

tamias6

Now its pretty obvious that we Planeteers talk the talk when it comes to such things like city planning, architecture, mass transit, and anything that pertains to the urban jungle. But let's see if we can walk the walk and illustrate our ideas and show them off right here. Drawings can be a simple as a pencil on paper sketch of your next dream house or as complex as a top notch 3-D renderings of glitzy skyscrappers. Maybe you have a grand visions of a utopic city or came up with a new method of mass transit. Draw it and post it right here. In a nut shell, if you have any urban thoughts and ideas you want to get accross but can't quite explain it in words or just want a place to show off your architectual prowess, this is your thread. Anything from simple sketches to Google Sketchup and all they way up to fanzy pant 3-D rendering are welcomed. Just do a good job and keep UP's rules about posting images in mind.

I'll start the ball rolling by providing some examples I did in Google Sketchup.

A 500 foot office tower that would make a great corporate HQ of a large company.

50munroecenterqk7.th.jpg

My idea of a fully implemented BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) system

brtnj2.th.jpg

3-D model of downtown Grand Rapids, MI

stockmodelofdtgrandrapiml1.th.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Still working on artists rendering but here is the idea;

A company in Portland, OR has been using various mixtures of Flexible Concrete for years and recently taking their mixture and refining it with the use of some NASA Level scientists they have made a flexible concrete, which is 500 times more resistant to cracking, 40% lighter and could help in the bumpy road issues, which destroy equipment and cause dangerous safety issues for traffic. There have been lots of roadway tests and the new flexible concrete has withstood the challenge.

I propose using these space age, technologically advanced, flexible concrete mixtures for circular tight on and off ramps, which will take up the kinetic energy of large trucks and cars, which move into the corner too fast. This will lower the 5,000 truck accidents from over turns per year and save countless car accidents and SUV rollover deaths. As the flexible concrete takes the kinetic energy from the vehicle it will give it back at the end of the turn like riding a wave on a surfboard. As long as we design the material for a certain speed of flex, it will take away the energy as you go into the turn for safety and then give it back to you as you finish the turn. Do you remember playing with hot wheel cars as a kid? Well how would you like to get a little energy back now that you are an adult? After all with fuel prices as high as they are it would be wise indeed to save a little energy, save your brakes and not have to step on that gas pedal so much? We are getting killed at the gas pump; lets take some back.

http://www.physorg.com/news3985.html

Who says roads have to be so un-flexible to our needs, we make those roads, let

very cool. You all are very talented. this is going to be an interesting thread. I'll have to draw up some ideas :) That Google Sketch up is a cool program. I started playing around with it. You can make a pretty big 3d city. The drawing area is very large.

This flexible concrete stuff would be great here in MI where frost heave can really do a number on our roads. Can't wait to see your rendering.

Still working on artists rendering but here is the idea;

A company in Portland, OR has been using various mixtures of Flexible Concrete for years and recently taking their mixture and refining it with the use of some NASA Level scientists they have made a flexible concrete, which is 500 times more resistant to cracking, 40% lighter and could help in the bumpy road issues, which destroy equipment and cause dangerous safety issues for traffic. There have been lots of roadway tests and the new flexible concrete has withstood the challenge.

I propose using these space age, technologically advanced, flexible concrete mixtures for circular tight on and off ramps, which will take up the kinetic energy of large trucks and cars, which move into the corner too fast. This will lower the 5,000 truck accidents from over turns per year and save countless car accidents and SUV rollover deaths. As the flexible concrete takes the kinetic energy from the vehicle it will give it back at the end of the turn like riding a wave on a surfboard. As long as we design the material for a certain speed of flex, it will take away the energy as you go into the turn for safety and then give it back to you as you finish the turn. Do you remember playing with hot wheel cars as a kid? Well how would you like to get a little energy back now that you are an adult? After all with fuel prices as high as they are it would be wise indeed to save a little energy, save your brakes and not have to step on that gas pedal so much? We are getting killed at the gas pump; lets take some back.

http://www.physorg.com/news3985.html

Who says roads have to be so un-flexible to our needs, we make those roads, let

We got some talented drawers here! I'm impressed by your designs, tamias!

As a part of a course about the methodology of planning, I have to make a detailed new plan for a new residential neighbourhood. Making a small sketch is a non-mandatory part of this plan (I do it because I like it).

Here's my sketch, keep in mind though that it's far from finished.

deelplanivsmallta1.png

pink = residential, rowhousing or detached housing

red = residential, appartments and high rises

blue = shops and offices

purple = residences above stores (mixed use :) )

I tried to keep parking spaces removed from where the streetlife takes place.

The orange lines represent bike lanes.

We got some talented drawers here! I'm impressed by your designs, tamias!

As a part of a course about the methodology of planning, I have to make a detailed new plan for a new residential neighbourhood. Making a small sketch is a non-mandatory part of this plan (I do it because I like it).

Here's my sketch, keep in mind though that it's far from finished.

deelplanivsmallta1.png

pink = residential, rowhousing or detached housing

red = residential, appartments and high rises

blue = shops and offices

purple = residences above stores (mixed use :) )

I tried to keep parking spaces removed from where the streetlife takes place.

The orange lines represent bike lanes.

Thanks dgreco and richyb!

I did some more work on my plan tonight, I added two new sections in the soutern part of my neighbourhood.

The new version:

deelplanivrj5.png

New section in the southwest (mainly rowhousing):

deelplanivsmall2sw1.png

New section in the southeast (mainly detached housing, the green buildings represent facilities, there's a church (bottom right) and a school in this part of town):

deelplanivsmallio4.png

Thoughts? :)

thanks everyone!

TBurban, I try to keep my neighbourhood at least mid-dense. I want it to be urban, not suburban. Yet, the inhabitants should have plenty of acces to green spaces. That's why I'll create some parks (or condo's in parks) aswell.

dtown, I actually used paint for this drawing. I heard lots of good things about autocad and I know that's the programme urban designers mainly use. I'm getting autocad soon too, can't wait.

thanks everyone!

TBurban, I try to keep my neighbourhood at least mid-dense. I want it to be urban, not suburban. Yet, the inhabitants should have plenty of acces to green spaces. That's why I'll create some parks (or condo's in parks) aswell.

dtown, I actually used paint for this drawing. I heard lots of good things about autocad and I know that's the programme urban designers mainly use. I'm getting autocad soon too, can't wait.

Archived