Show your Urban Design ideas in pictures

tamias6

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks fellas! I actually have another update tonight :lol: Sometimes I get way into this stuff.

untitledse9.png

Here it is in my 3D model of the Richmond skyline....including future development such as Centennial Tower, The James Center 3 and 4 expansion, and Vistas on the James...

untitledtf2.png

Very good rendering of the Richman Skyline. Your tower fits in quite well.

-----

Here's Grand Court Tower, a concept for premium high rise condo development I did in Sketchup. I didn't have any place in mind for it other than a large city's DT area. The white buildings are just some stock buildings I threw together to provide some setting. Anyway the building measure around 507' to the top of its core and features 40 floors. The first 5 floors would be filled with retail and resturaunts. The 6th floor is administration and indoor amenities for residents and also provides access to the park like court yard built on the roof of the Parking deck and retail liner hidding the parking deck from the street. Floors 7 through 39 are devoted to the condo units themselves. Notice the end bolonies spanning the 80' width of the tower which would provide a dramatic view of the surrounding city. Floor 40 is for mechanicals. Lastly is the LEED certified roof top gardens which features a swiming pool and spas. Since a hi rise like this would be one of the tallest structures in the city its built in I've toped this building off with a communications tower which makes for a very nice exclaimation point.

View 1

grandcourttowercondosgv8.th.jpg

View 2

grandcourttowercondosvinj3.th.jpg

Some of you may have seen my fun SketchUp dream for downtown Green Bay already, but in case not, here it is:

http://home.new.rr.com/visualizeit/downtown_GB.html

Yeah, the tower is kind of ugly but if you read the design concept page about the tower on it you might see that the concept is what's important.

I wish I had more time and expertise to design this better, but I don't. So, enjoy what you see on that site and I'd love to hear your comments---good, bad, or ugly.

downtown14_Tower1_SW_side_perspective_Web.jpg

Some of you may have seen my fun SketchUp dream for downtown Green Bay already, but in case not, here it is:

http://home.new.rr.com/visualizeit/downtown_GB.html

Yeah, the tower is kind of ugly but if you read the design concept page about the tower on it you might see that the concept is what's important.

I wish I had more time and expertise to design this better, but I don't. So, enjoy what you see on that site and I'd love to hear your comments---good, bad, or ugly.

downtown14_Tower1_SW_side_perspective_Web.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I finally finished up my assignment for school last week.

Instead of using a computer, I drew a plan for a to-be-developped area myself.

This was one of the first assignments where we actually had to make a complete plan. In the next semester we'll have to make a plan for a municipality, so I will probably use autocad or a similar program then. I just got autocad last week.

Here's my drawing:

sallandiakqi6.jpg

This might help explain what should be built where, I can imagine my drawing is a little hard to understand ;)

schemely5.png

In the neighbourhood core, luxury appartments should be built above stores and offices to ensure that (mostly) commercial areas will not be deserted after business hours.

The rectangular objects represent 3-story residential buildings. Each building should contain 6 appartments (all of them will be social housing).

Furtermore, the entire plan was based on New Urbanism: everyone should have easy acces to green spaces (Puant en la Baye's concepts for GreenBay were an inspiration for me as far as designing a ''green plan'' is concerned), parking is located at the rear sides of rowhousing. The parking facilities in the duplex and detached housing areas are to be built on the land owned by the homeowners. No public land is to be devoted to parking here (Instead, let the inhabitants here pay for their own parking space).

There aren't many ongoing roads, only the roads with stripes on them will be open for non-local traffic. All the other roads can only be used for local traffic that needs to be in the area.

Some detached housing is included, mostly because it was needed to keep the plan realistic. Most of the rowhousing and residential lowrises will be social housing, so we need tax money from the rich suburbanites to subsidize this. And my fellow students insisted on including detached housing, I wasn't in favour of it. I wanted to built spacious, expensive residential high rises in a park instead :)

Almost kind of reminds me of the "Garden City" plan

Tburban, I like your building. It looks like it could occupy a block only allowing a very narrow footprint, and possibly some angled streets. With that said, this building would be excellent for Detroit. We have plenty of odd sized (and shaped) blocks to fill.

LakeWheelerSaunders.jpg

I just started fooling around with Sketchup. I'm not really too god at adding colors, coverings and making it look like an actual rendering. I'd be willing to have send the file, if you are willing to make it look beautiful for me.

About the building:

The tall building is an idea I thought of one day. Two streets come together in a V formation. There is already a building facing the street to the left, but the land behind it is empty. I also included massings of a possible parking deck connected to another building.

Archived