Show your Urban Design ideas in pictures

tamias6

^That's simply stunning! I like how you incorporate existing ruins into a new building. The new building you designed is very stylish too, I especially like your second picture where the rearside of the building can be seen.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tamias6, I'm digging the renderings! But just a question about your Barnes and Noble, isn't their standard store 2 levels now? I mean nearly all of the B&N I've ever seen are two floors, and actually have an adapted urban store front. It's just that city parking requirements force them back from the road. The same goes for Borders which have built 2-4 level stores whenever the opportunity presents itself.

My local area has two Barnes and Noble stores. One is a stand alone big box on one end of town while the other is located on the upper floor of a large shopping mall at the other end. Both are single story. I've also been to a Barnes and Noble located on US-31 on the north side of Indianapolis which is of the power strip shopping center variety. Like the two in my local area it is a single story building. Going by that I assume the book sellers are falling into the typical sprawl-itechture rut like most suburban retail.

tamias6, I'm digging the renderings! But just a question about your Barnes and Noble, isn't their standard store 2 levels now? I mean nearly all of the B&N I've ever seen are two floors, and actually have an adapted urban store front. It's just that city parking requirements force them back from the road. The same goes for Borders which have built 2-4 level stores whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Ah okay. I guess I'm used to seeing the 2 level stores. Especially here in SE Michigan and around the Chicago area. Saginaw has one that is built as one level, but it was one of the earliest locations to open in Michigan, and is also not a full size B&N. I know they've had an urban model that has been around for quite a few years now. I'm assuming the one level stores are their older model, unless there is larger floor space available (such as in a shopping mall or lifestyle center).

I'm a little late jumping into this thread but I've been playing with Sketchup for the last six months or so making a mock representation of uptown Charlotte. It's been on hiatus lately as I installed the 64-bit version of Vista on this machine, which unfortunately doesn't like Sketchup or Earth very well. I haven't gotten to the low rises that fill in the rest of the uptown area but these are the greater majority of current towers as well as a few under construction and planned.

CharlotteBetaWest.jpg

CharlotteBetaSouth.jpg

CharlotteBetaWachoviaComplex.jpg

i came up with two 50+ story towers that i really like but i never made the files into picture files, i guess I'll have to wait for Google to catch onto Vista before I can show those off.

Here's some medium density housing for Detroit I drew up a year ago, although I've been working on perfecting it a bit more such as the ugly brick color. I'm also going to scrap the aluminum railings for something a bit nicer.

107787335_ffccbfdfd2_o.jpg

348922121_72b6d09a2e_b.jpg

It was sort of inspired by the original nine on third proposal, which didn't get built.

Looks good to me. Personally I like the brick color as it reminds me of very good looking row houses in Chicago's Lincoln Park. What app did you use to build your model?

Here's some medium density housing for Detroit I drew up a year ago, although I've been working on perfecting it a bit more such as the ugly brick color. I'm also going to scrap the aluminum railings for something a bit nicer.

It was sort of inspired by the original nine on third proposal, which didn't get built.

I typically only use Revit in the professional world. My firm in Chicago uses it extensively. Wonderful program if you are running a firm because it combines everything together. For example, say I change a doorway in a floorplan. It will update the floor schedules, elevations, sections, and 3d model automatically. Far better than having to manually go through and fix all that stuff. If you are used to using AutoCAD, using revit for the first time might be a bit frustrating. It's a little bit jumpy at times, and I tend to get impatient when I can't snap lines together properly in it. Not to mention you need a pretty good comptuer to run it.

BTW, for all of you sketchup users, your models can be imported into 3ds and all your textures will be maintained! Only problem is the software is $4000.00, unless you know other alternatives. ;)

^cough cough- morpheus?

Well, the good computer thing is covered. Their computers in that classroom have 2 gb or ram, i think. Ive never done 3D in AutoCad, my teacher said it isnt very good.

BTW, i was just wondering. Since you go to TCAUP, do you get free or cheap software?

Ah okay. I guess I'm used to seeing the 2 level stores. Especially here in SE Michigan and around the Chicago area. Saginaw has one that is built as one level, but it was one of the earliest locations to open in Michigan, and is also not a full size B&N. I know they've had an urban model that has been around for quite a few years now. I'm assuming the one level stores are their older model, unless there is larger floor space available (such as in a shopping mall or lifestyle center).

A little old-fashioned freehand Skyline with mechanical pencil on the edge of some newspaper done about a year ago..

downtown024xt2.jpg

Lower front: Civic Bldgs./City Hall, Courthouse. Museum, Performing Arts Center, Convention Center, Arena.

Far Left: Bridge, Stadium, Hotels, Condo's, Entertainment District, Observation Tower.

Back level: Landmark Tower surrounded by high-rise offices, banks, condo/hotels.

The term lifestyle center refers to a open air type of mall that incoporates more than just retail into its program. Hence, products for your lifestyle. Typically there are more restaurants, a movie theater, grocery stores, and big box shopping throughout. This also includes your usual retail and department stores. They are sort of a hybrid between enclosed shopping centers, strip malls, and a real downtown. They try to recreate urban environments that make you actually feel like you are in a city (which sort of gives a disney-like experience). Typically they are thought of as more upscale. It could because rents are higher because they are more expensive to build.

Here's my own personal retail places timeline.

DOWNTOWN/NEIGHBORHOOD RETAIL ROW -----> SUBURBAN RETAIL ROW ------> OUTDOOR SHOPPING MALL -----> ENCLOSED SHOPPING MALL ------> STRIP MALL -------> LIFESTYLE CENTER.

Nice... Reminds me of a Cross between NYC and Seattle.

A little old-fashioned freehand Skyline with mechanical pencil on the edge of some newspaper done about a year ago..

downtown024xt2.jpg

Lower front: Civic Bldgs./City Hall, Courthouse. Museum, Performing Arts Center, Convention Center, Arena.

Far Left: Bridge, Stadium, Hotels, Condo's, Entertainment District, Observation Tower.

Back level: Landmark Tower surrounded by high-rise offices, banks, condo/hotels.

Here is a few more from last year....patterned after Reunion Tower-Dallas(right) next to retractable-roof stadium; and the tower 3rd-left patterned after the new Symphony Tower-Atlanta; as you can tell I like Skyscrapers with inclined roofs.

downtown060av3.jpg

In my sketches I notice a pattern of "landmark towers being exactly centered in the skyline; I know this is not always the case in many cities. What's yall's opinion in placement of high-rise towers in a skyline??

Another inclined-roof and observation tower too.

downtown061jd0.jpg

What's yalls opinion of placement of high-rise towers in a nice looking skyline. Just spread-out evenly or elongated? density/compact? mountain-shaped with landmark tower at the center??

It's been said that Skylines are the "fingerprints of a city".

What's your thoughts on renowned New Urbanism planner Andres Duany's idea of a 12-story height limit??

Archived