The Goodwin Hotel

drc72

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I think we may put Larry G up on too much of a pedestal, but its hard to dispute the fact that he is in the news constantly being involved with something that in the end will make Hartford a better place.

This time he seems to have overcome the union hurdle...see the Courant story on the Goodwin Hotel. Looks like renovation will begin sometime in 07.

Goodwin, Union Seal a Deal - Hartford Courant

Sometimes I think we may put Larry G up on too much of a pedestal, but its hard to dispute the fact that he is in the news constantly being involved with something that in the end will make Hartford a better place.

This time he seems to have overcome the union hurdle...see the Courant story on the Goodwin Hotel. Looks like renovation will begin sometime in 07.

Goodwin, Union Seal a Deal - Hartford Courant

• 3 months later...

"Oh, GAWD! Here comes Pappy Nostalgia again!"

I saw some pics of the Goodwin Hotel in another thread, and I wish that I could find them again. Really, really nice! Just googling for images brings back some great results, though. I am so happy and impressed to see that fine building so beautifully restored!

I don't know if it's widely known how incredibly important the apartments in the Goodwin were, in the late 60's and well into the 70's, as the absolute epicenter of the gay sector of the arts community in Hartford -- and the period being the way it was, this included everybody in some way or another.

I'd say it was one vast salon, but in all honesty it was one long and constant party that would ebb during the week and flare up again every weekend, and it went on for years. Anyone could pop up there at anytime -- local hustlers to Andy Warhol superstars to Claus Oldenburg to Living Theater people to ballet stars to film critics bringing us Nicholas Ray and Douglas Sirk on 16mm film. It was just an incredible hive of activity and creativity and madness. There was a huge, loose, wonderful gang of us, all involved in the arts in some way, and the Goodwin was our Hub.

Oh, baby! I'm so pleased to see such nice justice done to this beautiful building! Well done, Hartford!

My fiancee and I are thinking about booking a block of rooms there for our wedding in spring of 08; they said the work will be done by then, and they offered to show us a model room now, so I am definitely going to take them up on that offer and report back. I've stayed there once and my folks have stayed there a couple of times. It's a very nice hotel, but it's looking a bit tired. In order for it to compete with the Hilton and Marriott, it's definitely time for an upgrade. I have heard that they're going to go all out and shoot for boutique status. Good call in my mind; maybe some of the stars who perform downtown (Elton John, Billy Joel, Madonna, etc.) will start staying overnight in the Beat whereas now, or at least in the recent past, they've elected to take the tour bus back to NYC or on to Boston.

My fiancee and I are thinking about booking a block of rooms there for our wedding in spring of 08; they said the work will be done by then, and they offered to show us a model room now, so I am definitely going to take them up on that offer and report back. I've stayed there once and my folks have stayed there a couple of times. It's a very nice hotel, but it's looking a bit tired. In order for it to compete with the Hilton and Marriott, it's definitely time for an upgrade. I have heard that they're going to go all out and shoot for boutique status. Good call in my mind; maybe some of the stars who perform downtown (Elton John, Billy Joel, Madonna, etc.) will start staying overnight in the Beat whereas now, or at least in the recent past, they've elected to take the tour bus back to NYC or on to Boston.

The Goodwin is truly something unique only to Hartford....we can have the Marriott, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Homewood Suites, etc. but so do hundreds of cities across the country. The Goodwin can only be found in Hartford like the Hotel Providence can only be found in Providence or the Copley Square for Lenox or Boston Park Tower in Boston

Just went to Goodwin Hotel for the first time. When are they going to start their make over? And what's with the connecting Goodwin Square? The entry way is stately but the lights are off, at least at 5 PM. Its dark and empty, more like a movie set than a class A office building.

Stayed at the Goodwin this week end. The old picture is a picture I shot of a picture that hangs in the lobby. It a terrible job by me. Then I walked out in the street and reshot from nearly the same angle. I didn't get the angle right, in fact, I screwed just about everything up. Even so, it's kind of an interesting comparison of shots taken decades perhaps a century apart.

goodwin2.jpgCIMG0295.jpg

Archived