Greater Boston Photo Thread

Flash

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for the confusion. Not being American and not understanding the Boston housing value system REALLY puts me at a disadvantage. I did some rejigging and revaluation of where I would LIKE the story family to live.

A place is bought for $600,000 either in Allston, Cambridge or somewhere in the Fenway. I know some exist at a lesser asking price because I've seen photos http://bostonpads.backbaypads.com/viewfeatured.php?ID=75

I hope that's the buying price.

Does anyone know of people owning property like the solid brick rowhouse I am ideally after? Where would a professional couple have ideally set up a new home with this in mind? Anyone have any Fenway street area photos?

I greatly appreciate your help as the only alternative is to SEE the places for myself, and I ain't got the cash to fly over at the moment - ;)

Edited by Paul UK

• 2 weeks later...

Beacon Street in Brookline is pretty much a nonstop stretch of brick buildings of a similar vintage. It's really hard to go wrong. Personally, I would stay away from Cleveland Circle (I should know, I live two blocks away) and that area near Boston College.

I know you say you would plan on using your car regularly, but living on Beacon St. in Brookline might change your mind with the C-Line right outside your door. Especially since it really doesn't make any sense to pay to park downtown when you live so close, and on the T. Parking for a few hours can easily run you $30+ in a lot of places. The T will run you $3.40 round trip, or a monthly pass - $59.

Living in Allston or Brighton would place you on the B-Line which is absolutely hell to use as it is severely overcrowded and has far too many stops through BU.

Beacon Street in Brookline is pretty much a nonstop stretch of brick buildings of a similar vintage. It's really hard to go wrong. Personally, I would stay away from Cleveland Circle (I should know, I live two blocks away) and that area near Boston College.

I know you say you would plan on using your car regularly, but living on Beacon St. in Brookline might change your mind with the C-Line right outside your door. Especially since it really doesn't make any sense to pay to park downtown when you live so close, and on the T. Parking for a few hours can easily run you $30+ in a lot of places. The T will run you $3.40 round trip, or a monthly pass - $59.

Living in Allston or Brighton would place you on the B-Line which is absolutely hell to use as it is severely overcrowded and has far too many stops through BU.

Never underestimate the walkability of Boston - especially Brookline. Driving, stopping and parking is usually the least effective way to see things. A car has its place, but you will probably have a less stressful, cheaper and more enjoyable time leaving yours at home fairly regularly.

The C-Line moves pretty quickly, you can go from the middle of Brookline to Downtown in fifteen minutes or so.

I don't want you to think I'm some sort of rabid, anti-car person (I'm not) but living on or near Beacon St. in Brookline makes driving very, very unappealing in most situations. You'll just have to trust me on that. :)

Edited by DoctorGonzo

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I think you guys are underestimating the price of a condo in the back bay. I doubt there is a cupboard for $250k. Beacon St in Brookline is not cheap by any stretch and many of the buildings are commercial professional and office buildings. Condos in the Fenway especially north of the turnpike are really expensive (some of the buildings have stunning interiors).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes....this building is the current South Station. The east (left in the photo) portion of the building has been reduced by about 70%. Currently, the is Amtrak's terminus serving NYC, southern commuter rails, the Red Line subway, and Silver line BRT line.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 12 years later...
  • 1 year later...