Sign in to follow this  
Flash

Greater Boston Photo Thread

So let's say the couple bought a two-bedroomed place for $250,000.

Question is: what would be the top THREE choices for them in terms of neighbourhood? They would own a car and use it.

If they bought a house for 250k and wanted to own a car... They would live in Providence, Rhode Island. When did they supposedly buy this 250k house? 1982?

Sorry for the confusion. Not being American and not understanding the Boston housing value system REALLY puts me at a disadvantage. I did some rejigging and revaluation of where I would LIKE the story family to live.

A place is bought for $600,000 either in Allston, Cambridge or somewhere in the Fenway. I know some exist at a lesser asking price because I've seen photos http://bostonpads.backbaypads.com/viewfeatured.php?ID=75

I hope that's the buying price.

Does anyone know of people owning property like the solid brick rowhouse I am ideally after? Where would a professional couple have ideally set up a new home with this in mind? Anyone have any Fenway street area photos?

I greatly appreciate your help as the only alternative is to SEE the places for myself, and I ain't got the cash to fly over at the moment - ;)

Edited by Paul UK

Hmmm...I would suggest maybe Beacon St. in Brookline or Commonwealth Ave. in Brighton.....both of those streets have houses similar to the brownstone style, with 2BRs in the $400k range, and some have parking....

Hmmm...I would suggest maybe Beacon St. in Brookline or Commonwealth Ave. in Brighton.....both of those streets have houses similar to the brownstone style, with 2BRs in the $400k range, and some have parking....

That's a much more reasonable price range.

I think your PhD candidate would not live in Allston/Brighton, that's more working class/college ghetto. I'd place them in Brookline or in Cambridge.

That's a much more reasonable price range.

I think your PhD candidate would not live in Allston/Brighton, that's more working class/college ghetto. I'd place them in Brookline or in Cambridge.

Edited by Paul UK

Beacon Street in Brookline is pretty much a nonstop stretch of brick buildings of a similar vintage. It's really hard to go wrong. Personally, I would stay away from Cleveland Circle (I should know, I live two blocks away) and that area near Boston College.

I know you say you would plan on using your car regularly, but living on Beacon St. in Brookline might change your mind with the C-Line right outside your door. Especially since it really doesn't make any sense to pay to park downtown when you live so close, and on the T. Parking for a few hours can easily run you $30+ in a lot of places. The T will run you $3.40 round trip, or a monthly pass - $59.

Living in Allston or Brighton would place you on the B-Line which is absolutely hell to use as it is severely overcrowded and has far too many stops through BU.

Beacon Street in Brookline is pretty much a nonstop stretch of brick buildings of a similar vintage. It's really hard to go wrong. Personally, I would stay away from Cleveland Circle (I should know, I live two blocks away) and that area near Boston College.

I know you say you would plan on using your car regularly, but living on Beacon St. in Brookline might change your mind with the C-Line right outside your door. Especially since it really doesn't make any sense to pay to park downtown when you live so close, and on the T. Parking for a few hours can easily run you $30+ in a lot of places. The T will run you $3.40 round trip, or a monthly pass - $59.

Living in Allston or Brighton would place you on the B-Line which is absolutely hell to use as it is severely overcrowded and has far too many stops through BU.

Never underestimate the walkability of Boston - especially Brookline. Driving, stopping and parking is usually the least effective way to see things. A car has its place, but you will probably have a less stressful, cheaper and more enjoyable time leaving yours at home fairly regularly.

The C-Line moves pretty quickly, you can go from the middle of Brookline to Downtown in fifteen minutes or so.

I don't want you to think I'm some sort of rabid, anti-car person (I'm not) but living on or near Beacon St. in Brookline makes driving very, very unappealing in most situations. You'll just have to trust me on that. :)

Edited by DoctorGonzo

You went to the Harbor Islands? I was up there a couple weeks ago and thought about going out there, but didn't really have the time. I love it out there.

I think you guys are underestimating the price of a condo in the back bay. I doubt there is a cupboard for $250k. Beacon St in Brookline is not cheap by any stretch and many of the buildings are commercial professional and office buildings. Condos in the Fenway especially north of the turnpike are really expensive (some of the buildings have stunning interiors).

Just sharing one of my old postcards with you guys. The back reads "The South Station located in Dewey Square serves the patrons of the New York, New Haven and Hartford and Boston and Albany Railroads Trains leave here for the South and West." Is this building still there?

01-05-2008012309AM.jpg

Yes....this building is the current South Station. The east (left in the photo) portion of the building has been reduced by about 70%. Currently, the is Amtrak's terminus serving NYC, southern commuter rails, the Red Line subway, and Silver line BRT line.