Plainfield Meijer

JimInGR

I recently heard that Meijer plans to build a new store on Plainfield. The plans call for demolishing the outlet store and building the new one back there and then demolishing the old one. I'm kinda surprised by this and also excited. I never really thought the current one was outdated. I haven't heard if they will be moving the gas station though. It would seem kinda odd to have the gas station that far away from the store.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was kind of predicting Meijer would opt. to bult anew on the back of the property and demo the existing store. Anyway if this is true than that makes me happy. The only Meijer more dated and cramped than the Plainfield store is the one on 28th St and K'zoo Ave.

Any timetables yet?

I recently heard that Meijer plans to build a new store on Plainfield. The plans call for demolishing the outlet store and building the new one back there and then demolishing the old one. I'm kinda surprised by this and also excited. I never really thought the current one was outdated. I haven't heard if they will be moving the gas station though. It would seem kinda odd to have the gas station that far away from the store.

This sounds exactly like what they did in Ionia, where they built a new store on an adjacent lot then demolished the old store. Part of the current Plainfield store was originally built as a Meijer supermarket (August 1958 IIRC - there is a photo on the wall of the mezannine of the grand opening), and later expanded into a full fledged Thrifty Acres. They probably want to expand the store again, but because of the oddly shaped lot they are on, have no good options with the current building. Factor in the its age, and it likely becomes more cost effective to build anew. It does seem though that even if they demolish the outlet store, there doesn't appear to be quite enough room for a new store without demolishing at least part of the old store first. It will be interesting to see how they handle this.

It seems like Meijer has been very aggressive lately at remodeling older stores to fit the new "Rockwell" design. Once Alpine and Plainfield are done, that only leaves the 28th/Kalamazoo and Grandville stores to be redone in the GR area.

Just spent a few minutes to do a quick placement study in Sketchup based on what is mentioned in orginal post.

plainfieldmeijerplacemekn8.th.jpg

I fabricated the "new" Meijer based on a fliped version of the Ionia store. After attemtping several configurations, this is the best one I could come up with. However because of the new store's foot print overlapping the existing store by quite a bit. I think Meijer would have to completely close the Plainfield location for the duration of construction which would take about a year.

Were there any Helmscene lamps that had a rotating picture? Those remind me of a picture my grandparents had that I always loved... it was evenly backlit and had a picture that would constantly rotate along a small conveyor... so that it was like standing in one spot and slowly turning yourself around 360 degrees.

Were there any Helmscene lamps that had a rotating picture? Those remind me of a picture my grandparents had that I always loved... it was evenly backlit and had a picture that would constantly rotate along a small conveyor... so that it was like standing in one spot and slowly turning yourself around 360 degrees.

Cool. Its official then. That whole area on Plainfield really needs alot of TLC. Hopefully Meijer's commitment will have a positive effect on the area as township and city planners hope for.

At 192,000 sq. ft, 14,000 sq. ft smaller than the existing store, its a bit strange that Meijer would replace exisitng the building with a smaller one. Perhaps the new store will lack a second floor which would explain the reduction in square footage as the existing building does have a second floor located in front of the checkouts. Still a standard new Meijer store is sized at 207,000 sq. ft. So a very clever use of space and some editing out of slower selling merch may be the name of the game.

ProgressiveAE and Meijer will be in front of the Plainfield Twp Planning Commission tonight (11/28) for a preliminary development discussion (pretty informal first step). The plans I have in advance of the meeting look pretty good. It is worth noting that Meijer is committed to participating in the Plainfield CIA (corridor improvement authority) and as such plans to satisfy any sidewalk/walkway/pedestrian/signage aspirations that arise from the CIA's efforts. The elevations I have show a more streamlined facade (versus the cobbled false front on their Cascade store). It isn't bad. I'll post more as I have it.

You have elevation drawings. Is their anyway you can post them? I'd love to do a Sketchup File of them.

Here's a Sketchup file of the Alpine Store as it will look after its renovation is complete. I had no access to its renderings other than those posted in the store. So I memorised them just before I left, quickly got home and worked on this file while memories where still fresh until it was done. So I'd sure love to have some renderings right in front of me as I don't visit the Plainfield store very often.

alpinemeijerafterreviseex3.th.jpg

ProgressiveAE and Meijer will be in front of the Plainfield Twp Planning Commission tonight (11/28) for a preliminary development discussion (pretty informal first step). The plans I have in advance of the meeting look pretty good. It is worth noting that Meijer is committed to participating in the Plainfield CIA (corridor improvement authority) and as such plans to satisfy any sidewalk/walkway/pedestrian/signage aspirations that arise from the CIA's efforts. The elevations I have show a more streamlined facade (versus the cobbled false front on their Cascade store). It isn't bad. I'll post more as I have it.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I will be sad to see the old building go. Growing up we went to the Plainfield Meijer all the time, back in the days before they were open 24/7. To this day it is the only Meijer where I know exactly where everything is located! Personally, I don't mind the older stores at all, and I find they are often more convenient than the newer ones (especially the stores that have a back door entrance!). The older stores are definitely not as shiny and pretty as the new ones, but I think they serve their purpose well. I'm not necessarily opposed to Meijer rebuilding on the same site, just a little disappointed. I would rather see Meijer invest their money in a new downtown location (Area 4/5 perhaps?).

Thinking about this more, I'll bet that the new store will not be at the back of the lot as everyone is assuming, but oriented parallel to the old store, with its front facing the front of the old store. That would put a severe crunch on parking in front of the store during construction, but have no overlap of the buildings. There seems to be adequate space available north of the old store to handle the parking situation, along with maybe some more squeezed out around the gas station. I'm sure some business will get diverted to Knapp's Corner during that time anyways.

I think someone here mentioned that if/when the city decides to sell Indian Trails Golf Course across the street, that Meijer would probably scope out that site for a new store.

Today's press article

It doesn't mention where the store will be positioned. And it also talks about the rumored plans of Walmart to build on Robinette's property on the Beltline. :angry:

Thinking about this more, I'll bet that the new store will not be at the back of the lot as everyone is assuming, but oriented parallel to the old store, with its front facing the front of the old store. That would put a severe crunch on parking in front of the store during construction, but have no overlap of the buildings. There seems to be adequate space available north of the old store to handle the parking situation, along with maybe some more squeezed out around the gas station. I'm sure some business will get diverted to Knapp's Corner during that time anyways.

Archived