Things I miss in Shreveport / Bossier

cindyb1969

Okay....I said that I would start this thread, so here it is!

Things that went away while I was gone:

1. Brocato's Italian Restaurant

2. The over-the-road crosswalk from P&S Hospital (also gone!) to the dr. office building across the street. I remember making my dad stop the car so we could walk across when I was little!

3. Allen Avenue! It's now gone that we have I-49. (nothing special on the road that I miss....just the whole exit is now missing!)

4. Hamels....What happened to it?

5. North Shreveport being a nice area. Yikes! We need some urban renewal in that area!

6. Trinity Heights Academy...where I went to school during my early elementary years. What happened to it?

7. SouthPark Mall....not what it became...what it was in the beginning

8. The Teddy Bear Den (on Barksdale Blvd. way back when...not even sure that's the real name!)

9. Many of my favorite anchors on TV - Liz Swain, Al, the 3 Eds (Baswell, Duranczik, and can't think of the 3rd one)

10. The Shreveport Times (especially Tell The Times, which is hysterical on a good day!)

Things that Shreveport has that we don't!

1. Brookshires

2. HILLS!!!!!!!!!

3. Dogwood trees (haven't seen hardly any down here!)

4. Memories of my childhood

5. Red River Revel

6. Holiday in Dixie

7. Good "home cookin!"

8. El Chico

9. Southern Maid Donuts

I wonder what others on the board miss that has disappeared... Anyone???

I'm sure I'll think of more....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay....I said that I would start this thread, so here it is!

Things that went away while I was gone:

1. Brocato's Italian Restaurant

2. The over-the-road crosswalk from P&S Hospital (also gone!) to the dr. office building across the street. I remember making my dad stop the car so we could walk across when I was little!

3. Allen Avenue! It's now gone that we have I-49. (nothing special on the road that I miss....just the whole exit is now missing!)

4. Hamels....What happened to it?

5. North Shreveport being a nice area. Yikes! We need some urban renewal in that area!

6. Trinity Heights Academy...where I went to school during my early elementary years. What happened to it?

7. SouthPark Mall....not what it became...what it was in the beginning

8. The Teddy Bear Den (on Barksdale Blvd. way back when...not even sure that's the real name!)

9. Many of my favorite anchors on TV - Liz Swain, Al, the 3 Eds (Baswell, Duranczik, and can't think of the 3rd one)

10. The Shreveport Times (especially Tell The Times, which is hysterical on a good day!)

Things that Shreveport has that we don't!

1. Brookshires

2. HILLS!!!!!!!!!

3. Dogwood trees (haven't seen hardly any down here!)

4. Memories of my childhood

5. Red River Revel

6. Holiday in Dixie

7. Good "home cookin!"

8. El Chico

9. Southern Maid Donuts

I wonder what others on the board miss that has disappeared... Anyone???

I'm sure I'll think of more....

:):):) I'm so glad that crosswalk is being used!!! I can't tell you the memories it has for me! I'm going to definitely go see it when I'm back in town again. (I'm really excited because I get to come back again this year at least once - for my 20 year high school reunion. Wow, I'm getting old!)

North Shreveport used to be such a great area! I wouldn't dare drive past the house my parents lived in when I was born now. From what I hear, that neighborhood is a drug mecca. YIKES! My parents built that house!

I think I would cry if I ever saw apartments built on the old Hamel's property. I always think of the ostrich when I drive past and the train with the tunnel. I even had a birthday party there when I was 5 or 6.

Was Al Bolton a weather guy? If so, he's not the one I was talking about. The one I was talking about was an anchor with Liz Swain. Now when I watch Shreveport news, I see people I went to high school with - Sonya Bailes, Linnea Fayard, etc.

I was not privileged enough to live there when Tony Roma's was there....I dont' think, anyway. I have been to one and have their baked potato soup recipe, though. YUM!!! (I read too much of the Louisiana food string today!)

:):):) I'm so glad that crosswalk is being used!!! I can't tell you the memories it has for me! I'm going to definitely go see it when I'm back in town again. (I'm really excited because I get to come back again this year at least once - for my 20 year high school reunion. Wow, I'm getting old!)

North Shreveport used to be such a great area! I wouldn't dare drive past the house my parents lived in when I was born now. From what I hear, that neighborhood is a drug mecca. YIKES! My parents built that house!

I think I would cry if I ever saw apartments built on the old Hamel's property. I always think of the ostrich when I drive past and the train with the tunnel. I even had a birthday party there when I was 5 or 6.

Was Al Bolton a weather guy? If so, he's not the one I was talking about. The one I was talking about was an anchor with Liz Swain. Now when I watch Shreveport news, I see people I went to high school with - Sonya Bailes, Linnea Fayard, etc.

I was not privileged enough to live there when Tony Roma's was there....I dont' think, anyway. I have been to one and have their baked potato soup recipe, though. YUM!!! (I read too much of the Louisiana food string today!)

I would have to add the Shreveport Captains to that list of things I miss in Shreveport. I know we have the Sport, but I am sorry Minor League Baseball is what I miss. not this simi-pro stuff they have there. I also miss the ribs from Tony Romas.

As far as the "AL" you are looking for, I think his name was Al Pierce. He was the Co-Anchor with Liz Swain, Ed Duransik and Ed Baswell.

I would have to add the Shreveport Captains to that list of things I miss in Shreveport. I know we have the Sport, but I am sorry Minor League Baseball is what I miss. not this simi-pro stuff they have there. I also miss the ribs from Tony Romas.

As far as the "AL" you are looking for, I think his name was Al Pierce. He was the Co-Anchor with Liz Swain, Ed Duransik and Ed Baswell.

I think we have to prove ourselves. Baseball's popularity had dropped off here a lot over the years, and the Captains just weren't making money. Taylor Moore had to get rid of the franchise before it broke him. It was a shame to see that happen, but it did. If we're ever going to get a Single A or AA team again, we're going to have to prove that we can support it.

It sucked to see the Captains go, but I think there are a few reasons we lost them. Two of the reasons listed, Shreveport will not support a loser and the baseball strike (this is when I lost my interest in BB), are dead on. I think another major reason is the location of the park. It is in a really bad part of town. Who wants to go out there at night for a game and a mugging? Not me. We know about all the extra security for the Fair and Independence Bowl, but I doubt there is any for the BB games. IMO it is too dangerous.

It sucked to see the Captains go, but I think there are a few reasons we lost them. Two of the reasons listed, Shreveport will not support a loser and the baseball strike (this is when I lost my interest in BB), are dead on. I think another major reason is the location of the park. It is in a really bad part of town. Who wants to go out there at night for a game and a mugging? Not me. We know about all the extra security for the Fair and Independence Bowl, but I doubt there is any for the BB games. IMO it is too dangerous.

Archived