Contextual architecture

TheFutureIsNow

Contextual architecture yes or no?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think contextual architecture is useful and should be promoted, or is it hurting creativity?

• Helping
    • Hurting
    • Equal

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You raise a good point. Many of the newer buildings in this area seem to be just a variation on the same theme, and I couldn't agree more with you about the Chevy Chase banks. They're horrible.

On the other hand, though, there's something to be said for contextual architecture in this context. I'm sure you've seen the trend that's all too present in the suburbs around here. People buy an older home, tear it down and build a McMansion that has no place in the neighborhood. Every time I drive by one of these places I cringe.

There are plenty of new residential developments, especially downtown and in parts of Arlington, that are breaking the mold and innovative without being tacky. One place in particular comes to mind - Abdo's development in Rosslyn.

Like you said, it's definitely possible to preserve the local feel and history without having to conform to it.

yeah, it really is a losing battle in most parts of this area... :(

what about areas that have no historical or contextual architecture to reference when it comes to designing a new building, or are there any? Even when i visited australia this summer, although i love their style of architecture, just like here they design many of their more suburban buildings in the same way:

Example

i know its just a warehouse, but this is what many residential, retail, and office buildings look like. It seems they didn't have to have a historical context to go by, so instead they locked themselves into a new style which doesn't really develop into anything else but just repeats itself.

Archived