Expanding Downtown

GvilleSC

Here's a picture I quickly took in my excitement of seeing the sign, haha.

100_2646.jpg

It seems to have this hyper color scheme going on, and while the West End IS booming, its character is more of a "let's stroll" attitude. Like the Banner that welcomes you to the West End: It's "Worth the stroll". Something more subdued in color, like the West End sign on the Harpers Brothers building that I'm referring to, which I think is green??? I'd hate to see this sign in its colorful presense next to the black metal "West End Historic District" sign at the corner of Main and Camperdown, which creates a tone for the district.

Maybe I'm just being picky, but there's different street lights in the West End and there's a different feel all together. Different signage only makes sense to me.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I can sort of see that but the first thing that comes to my mind is a "G" for Greenville. Not the Reedy River. The "lowercaseness" still bothers me. I would prefer a more scriptish uppercase font if you are trying to communicate the river. Whenever I see the lowercase "g" I just think of some businesses who intentionally misspell their names to be "cute" or something.

I've seen wayfinder-type signage in other cities that used this same color identity for different districts and I didn't find it cheap at all. It wouldn't have to involve too much color variation, either. The city really has to look no further than the maps that have already been provided to take a cue:

CityInformation.jpg

North Main signage could be Green.

CBD signage could be Yellow.

West End signage could be Blue.

Let's not forget that wayfinder signs are first and foremost, just that, a means to find your way around. Keeping the colors, format, etc. helps the first-time visitor spot them. Would you want each state to have it's own unique color of Interstate signage (instead of the standard green)?

I have seen different colored 'toppers' that go on street signs that identify the neighborhood you're in. Charleston does this and it represents the best of both worlds, unique identifer for the section of town, yet consistent identification.

Let's not forget that wayfinder signs are first and foremost, just that, a means to find your way around. Keeping the colors, format, etc. helps the first-time visitor spot them. Would you want each state to have it's own unique color of Interstate signage (instead of the standard green)?

I have seen different colored 'toppers' that go on street signs that identify the neighborhood you're in. Charleston does this and it represents the best of both worlds, unique identifer for the section of town, yet consistent identification.

Personally, I love both the current logo, and the wayfinder/information designs. I have always prefered the city "g" logo with the deep purple/blue behind and the green band around the circle. The two greens together just don't do much for me. Having the same signs throughout downtown is just fine, IMO, and the City is to be commended for continuing to stick with the same format.

Being a graphic designer myself, I love the city's totally unique "g" logo and the use of all lowercase font. To me it exudes the youthful vibrancy of Greenville's downtown, while still keeping a classy appeal. Now it would really be great if the trolley drivers could wear uniquely attractive uniforms created from this same style, with the City's logo emroidered onto either a vest, and/or a hat. :shades:

Well I guess I can live with the lowercase "g" by itself as a "logo" but it still make my mind twist a bit when I set it part of the Greenville name. I don't see how a lowercase letter communicates a "youthful vibrancy" unless it refers to young people who don't use proper grammar. I seriously never noticed the "Reedy River" part of the logo until it was mentioned here. I am concerned however that the color scheme might look dated in a few years. I looks fine now but how will it hold up in say ten years? Some things might look modern now but over time they can look undesirable. I guess at one time the City Hall and train station looked "modern" back in the 70's but are looking soulless and dated now. I'm thankful that some places being built today have a more timeless appeal. Their a fine line between "dated" and "nostalgic".

Well I guess I can live with the lowercase "g" by itself as a "logo" but it still make my mind twist a bit when I set it part of the Greenville name. I don't see how a lowercase letter communicates a "youthful vibrancy" unless it refers to young people who don't use proper grammar. I seriously never noticed the "Reedy River" part of the logo until it was mentioned here. I am concerned however that the color scheme might look dated in a few years. I looks fine now but how will it hold up in say ten years? Some things might look modern now but over time they can look undesirable. I guess at one time the City Hall and train station looked "modern" back in the 70's but are looking soulless and dated now. I'm thankful that some places being built today have a more timeless appeal. Their a fine line between "dated" and "nostalgic".

• 2 weeks later...

Over in the Columbia subforum there was discussion of how Greenville only has Main Street. Their lack of knowledge of Greenville doesn't warrant a response, but I decided to check here to make sure that i wasn't mistaken or thinking of another Greenville. Hmmm, Main Street city center, Main Street West End, Coffee, Broad, North, Augusta... Nope it's the same Greenville I was thinking of. :wub:

Over in the Columbia subforum there was discussion of how Greenville only has Main Street. Their lack of knowledge of Greenville doesn't warrant a response, but I decided to check here to make sure that i wasn't mistaken or thinking of another Greenville. Hmmm, Main Street city center, Main Street West End, Coffee, Broad, North, Augusta... Nope it's the same Greenville I was thinking of. :wub:

Regardless, we should all try to rise above the bashing. I know it's tempting to get involved in that nonsense, but we've got better things to do, don't we?

As for expanding Greenville's downtown, given the other active thread we've been at lately (the state of downtown retail), I'm beginning to think that perhaps we should first focus on making sure North Main remains successful before we try to expand downtown beyond it, no? What's an apple without a core?

Regardless, we should all try to rise above the bashing. I know it's tempting to get involved in that nonsense, but we've got better things to do, don't we?

As for expanding Greenville's downtown, given the other active thread we've been at lately (the state of downtown retail), I'm beginning to think that perhaps we should first focus on making sure North Main remains successful before we try to expand downtown beyond it, no? What's an apple without a core?

Archived