Expanding Downtown

GvilleSC

How about revitalizing the Mulberry Square area at the Pete Hollis Hwy (formally a section of Old Buncombe Road). They are a few shops there. The Ham house used to be in that strip mall and a long time ago the most booming grocery store in Greenville - Cash and Carry. Maybe some stuff to complement Heritage Green.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Bump. Eventually, I would like to see the S Main improvements carried down to Academy. This would open up a "loop" from current DT to the Academy/Pendleton intersection for DT devlopemnt. This area is badly in need of it, it is a key intersection, and it would compliment and expand on the stadium/Pendleton West improvements. Plus it would extend the Kroc effects (if they ever happen).

Bump. Eventually, I would like to see the S Main improvements carried down to Academy. This would open up a "loop" from current DT to the Academy/Pendleton intersection for DT devlopemnt. This area is badly in need of it, it is a key intersection, and it would compliment and expand on the stadium/Pendleton West improvements. Plus it would extend the Kroc effects (if they ever happen).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Going back to our previous discussion of the wayfinder signage in Downtown Greenville, does anybody else feel that it's become somewhat cluttered/eclectic? There are now several different styles of signage wayfinder signage throughout downtown. I'm going to have to get out and photograph all the various different signs to illustrate my point better, I'm sure.

I suppose it could be worse, I was in Uptown Charlotte this weekend and had a difficult time finding my way around at all due to the complete lack of wayfinder signage for pedestrians/drivers. That's going to change though. Check THIS out for what they're planning to do in Uptown Charlotte. Knock this down to three styles for three sections of Downtown Greenville (North Main, CBD, West End) and this is more of what I had in mind for Greenville as I failed to articulate in my previous posts on the subject.

EDIT: The link was too long for the hyperlink, so here it is: http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/es3mz...ept11.01.06.pdf

EDIT 2: The hyperlinks don't seem to be working well (I can cut/paste that very URL into a browser and it comes up fine, but for some reason the link from UP isn't working)...so, I've resorted to saving it off to a .jpg.

Here it is:

CharlottePedWayfinders.jpg

Those look nice. Something of the sort sure would be great for Greenville I'm sure. If nothing else, the "More to see" or whatever signs need replacing. Most are faded now and they look a little cheap.

So, are these intended for cars and pedestrians on the same signs?

Perhaps I wasn't looking for them as a driver as much since I already knew where I was going to park from previous visits. It was when I walked up and down Tryon that wayfinders could have come in handy helping me find certain things. We finally found Discovery Place (and Rock Bottom), but not after walking a couple blocks south toward 2nd street and then turning around and heading back north toward 7th after stopping and asking someone where it was. :lol:

Perhaps I wasn't looking for them as a driver as much since I already knew where I was going to park from previous visits. It was when I walked up and down Tryon that wayfinders could have come in handy helping me find certain things. We finally found Discovery Place (and Rock Bottom), but not after walking a couple blocks south toward 2nd street and then turning around and heading back north toward 7th after stopping and asking someone where it was. :lol:

Archived