The Phenixian

ATLman1

Phenix City is getting its first highrise! Here is the article from the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer 10 story condo. There is also a rendering if you click on the link. Here are some facts about the development.

The Phenixian will have 65 units on its 10 floors. One floor, the 10th, includes penthouses ranging in size from 2,045 to 2,857 square feet and including two and three bedrooms.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

The Phenixian will begin to rise from the riverbanks on June 1. The 10-story, 65-unit mixed use development is on schedule. The developers expect to have the final plans for the development within a month, put the job out to bid to contractors, and begin construction by late spring. The project should take 16-to-18 months to complete.

The Phenixian is the first of three phases of RGP development planned for Phenix City. The other two phases would be the development of the Davis Property across 14th Street from the site of The Phenixian and the planned construction of a residential golf course development at the Phenix Industrial Park of U.S. 431 South.

The Davis property will be the site of a three-story condominium building and possibly the site of a restaurant. The restaurant, which would be owned by one of the number of country music stars associated with the developer's work

• 1 month later...

This is some new information about the project from the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.

Summer ideal for condo construction

Next step is taking bids for building $35 million development

The Phenixian condominium project is moving closer to a summertime start.

Billy Graham -- properties, acquisitions and finance vice president for Gilley Properties LLC -- said the next step in the Phenix City project is to let bids for construction of the 10-story, mixed residential/retail development on the Chattahoochee River, which is now expected to cost nearly $35 million to build.

Graham was in town to view final construction plans for the project, designed by Hecht Burdeshaw Architects. Scott Holmes, an architect for Hecht Burdeshaw and a member of the Downtown Redevelopment Authority, presented the plans to Phenix City officials and members of the authority during a special called meeting.

"We are still tweaking a few things. We like everything we've seen," Graham said of the plans. "We're trying to tweak a few things so that we can come to the market with more of an affordable price range. We're just trying to add a few more units to lower that price point."

He said Gilley Properties, which is developing projects in its home base of Enterprise, Ala., and a number of other areas in the Florida Panhandle, expects The Phenixian to be its flagship.

"We expect to take this model and go anywhere with it," Graham said.

The final construction plans were produced by an eight-person team working full-time on the project, Holmes said. The group developing the plans, in addition to Gilley Properties and Hecht Burdeshaw, were civil engineers French & Associates; landscape engineers Gullatt Associates; mechanical and electrical plumbing engineers Peach Engineering; and structural engineers Wright Engineering -- all located in either Phenix City or Columbus.

Hard facts

Here are some of the numbers on the project:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Word is that project in serious jeopardy, the reason being that, in order to be financially feasible, turns out condos will have to be priced higher than current market forces will permit. Either scale back size of condos/price or abandon project. If scale back size, that increases number of condos but reduces their attractiveness to buyers. Classic Catch-22.

Frankly I find this hard to believe. Would think that that is the sort of thing that would have been established in the due diligence phase and not after announcement of project. A little late to be determining your market after announcing your project to great acclaim. But that is the rumor -- condos now on hold for undetermined period of time and may be scraped all together.

I totally agree. Market analysis and feasibility studies were conducted months and months ago. There should have been a red flag there. Unless these developers are just "back-of-the-envelope" developers, I doubt there will be any problems.

i have heard that there is a holdup in the orginal june groundbreaking because the City of Phenix City has not yet acquired a portion of the Riverview Apartments that is in the way of the new Phenixian Highrise. They have not yet got the go ahead from HUD that is the only hold up i heard all these other rumors are totally new to me. This is my first hearing of them. I do believe that it will still be built, but it will probaly be 2008 before ground gets broken or a new location might have to be found depending on what HUD tells Phenix City.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone heard anything as of lately about the Phenixian and the Phenix Rising condos along the riverfront? I thought by now ground would have been broken on the Phenixian it was announced a year ago and the Phenix Rising i see they still have the sign up, but thats as far as it goes. Anyone know of anything?

Has anyone heard anything as of lately about the Phenixian and the Phenix Rising condos along the riverfront? I thought by now ground would have been broken on the Phenixian it was announced a year ago and the Phenix Rising i see they still have the sign up, but thats as far as it goes. Anyone know of anything?

Both projects are on hold because HUD will no approve the deal for purchase of the adjoining property occupied by teh Riverview Apts. Seems that the purchase price was only for the land and improvements. But HUD requires that each apartment being razed be replaced on a one-for-one basis. That ups teh ante by several million $$$,

The condos wont be built until it is clear what will be occupying that adjoining property At time the condos were announced, it was anticipated that the property would be used as campus for Troy State Business School and CVCC -- much preferred neighbors that low-income housing. Understand that attempts are on going to get the issue resolved -- like getting the schools or private parties to kick in the extra $$. But for the time being everything is at a dead stop. What with these problems and the housing woes -- may be sometime before these projects come on line.

Both projects are on hold because HUD will no approve the deal for purchase of the adjoining property occupied by teh Riverview Apts. Seems that the purchase price was only for the land and improvements. But HUD requires that each apartment being razed be replaced on a one-for-one basis. That ups teh ante by several million $$$,

The condos wont be built until it is clear what will be occupying that adjoining property At time the condos were announced, it was anticipated that the property would be used as campus for Troy State Business School and CVCC -- much preferred neighbors that low-income housing. Understand that attempts are on going to get the issue resolved -- like getting the schools or private parties to kick in the extra $$. But for the time being everything is at a dead stop. What with these problems and the housing woes -- may be sometime before these projects come on line.

Good News!

Phenix City back on for purchase of 'The Triangle'

Phenix City's purchase of "The Triangle," six buildings of the Riverview Courts Apartments the key to the redevelopment on the western banks of the Chattahoochee River, is apparently back on track.

Phenix City Council tore up its old agreement with the Phenix City Housing Authority and ratified a new agreement to purchase the property for $2,965,000 during its Tuesday meeting in the Public Safety Building.

The city council had agreed last October to purchase The Triangle for $965,600 and deed the property to Troy University for the development of a $6 million building to house its business program.

The purchase stalled, however, after the application was sent forward to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development offices in Chicago. HUD officials accepted the application, which included language requiring one for one replacement for the housing units lost once the buildings were razed. The replacement costs are estimated to be about $2 million.

The city has apparently gained private sector pledges to make up the $2 million difference and put the purchase back on the fast track. Once the land is secured, the other key developments on the riverfront

• 2 weeks later...

Well theres a article in todays Ledger stating that the Phenix Rising highrise planned for Phenix city may be in trouble. The orginal contract with tri-state has expired, but brokers are working to get a new contract drawn up with Tri-state investments. THe problem was the long delayed purchase of the triangle section of riverview apartments which PHenix city council approved to purchase last week. Chances are good a new contract will be reached, but on the downside the buiding will drop from the orginal 11 stories as planned to just a mere 7-8 stories. This will not have much of a impact on the skyline really at a 7-8 story building there are too many others that will drown it out. Good new though as soon as the City of Phenix City completes the purchase of the Triangle Ronnie Gilley properties is ready to break ground immediatly on the 10-story Phenixian condo at 14th street. Things are finally starting to look up literally

Well theres a article in todays Ledger stating that the Phenix Rising highrise planned for Phenix city may be in trouble. The orginal contract with tri-state has expired, but brokers are working to get a new contract drawn up with Tri-state investments. THe problem was the long delayed purchase of the triangle section of riverview apartments which PHenix city council approved to purchase last week. Chances are good a new contract will be reached, but on the downside the buiding will drop from the orginal 11 stories as planned to just a mere 7-8 stories. This will not have much of a impact on the skyline really at a 7-8 story building there are too many others that will drown it out. Good new though as soon as the City of Phenix City completes the purchase of the Triangle Ronnie Gilley properties is ready to break ground immediatly on the 10-story Phenixian condo at 14th street. Things are finally starting to look up literally

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Has anyone heard anything new about the Phenixian I was in Phenix City yesterday and they are tearing down the buildings across from Phenix Plaza in between the 13th & 14th street bridges. Last I recall hearing was that a parking garage for the highrise and upscale resturant were suppose to be going there. On a more down note I also noticed the the Phenix Rising sign has been taken down I guess that project got scraped, but the signs for The Phenixian are still there.

• 3 weeks later...

Construction should begin soon on the Phenixian Condo. Phenix City Council has gotten the money to complete the purchase of the triangle at Riverview. Once purchased demolition should begin of the apartments and construction should soon follow of the 10-story Phenixian Condo/ Parking Garage as well as a $8million satillite campus of Troy University. Demolition is nearly complete of shops on the Riverfront between 13th & 14th streets from what I previously heard a new upscale resturant will be locating on that site. The Phenix Rising condo project is dead though, the developer of the project ran into finicial difficulties and had to back out of the project.

Construction should begin soon on the Phenixian Condo. Phenix City Council has gotten the money to complete the purchase of the triangle at Riverview. Once purchased demolition should begin of the apartments and construction should soon follow of the 10-story Phenixian Condo/ Parking Garage as well as a $8million satillite campus of Troy University. Demolition is nearly complete of shops on the Riverfront between 13th & 14th streets from what I previously heard a new upscale resturant will be locating on that site. The Phenix Rising condo project is dead though, the developer of the project ran into finicial difficulties and had to back out of the project.

Archived