This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore: Fells Point

2 posts in this topic

A couple of weeks ago, I had a meeting outside of Baltimore. I decided to walk around some central Baltimore neighborhoods afterwards. I had to break this into 3 parts, since I have too many photos. Here's the first part: Fells Point, a neighborhood east-south-east of the Inner Harbor.

Fell's Point is the most interesting neighborhoods of the ones I visited. It was esteblished as an independent town and functioned as so until 1797, when it was unwillingly absorbed into Baltimore City. The famous Baltimore Clipper ships, privateer vessels, and the old USS Constellation and old USS Enterprise all came from this neighborhood. As larger ships came about over the decades, deeper ports were needed, and the neighborhood became obsolete. It slowly declined as port facilities moved downstream, and as immigrants settled into the area. The neighborhood was considered a slum for many years, and was slated for demolition to make way for Interstate 70 as it would cut across Baltimore until it met up with I-95. Much of the neighborhood was named a National Register Historic District and was eventually saved from being razed. The neighborhood still is used by some industries, especially tugboat companies, but is more known for its bars, restaurants, and shops.

Looking across the Inner harbor at the Federal Hill neighborhood from Lancaster Street.

A new apartment complex on Caroline Street. This apartment complex was built on the old Lacey Foundry site.

A look at some highrise development on the western edge of Fell's Point from Caroline Street.

Looking across the Inner Harbor at Federal Hill from the tip of Fell's Point.

The Bond Street Wharf. The wharf was originally known as the Terminal Warehouse.

Henderson's Wharf from up the Inner Harbor.

Looking at Baltimore's skyline from the old Allied Chemical site along the Inner Harbor.

Across the Inner Harbor from Fells Point is the Domino Sugar factory.

The intersection of Thames Street and Bond Street.

Rowhouses on Bond Street.

The intersection of Broadway and Thames Street. This was originally the southern end of the Broadway Market, which is much smaller now.

Businesses on Thames Street. Note the railroad tracks amongst the cobblestone street; up until the 1980's, this area functioned not only as a residential neighborhood, but also as an industrial site. Fell's Point has the distinction of being one of the oddest railroad yards in US history; the sharp angles of railroad tracks on neighborhood streets, combined with a city ordinance that banned steam-power locomotives on most streets, meant that tractors with large inflatible tires functioned as "trains" and pulled railroad cars in sets of 2 or 3 along the tracks. Additionally, storage space for railroad cars was scarce, and so it was not uncommon to have your car boxed in by parked railroad cars for hours at a time.

More businesses on Broadway.

The intersection of Thames and Fell Streets. Ann Street is in the very foreground; Fell Street meets where Thames and Ann Streets intersect.

More businesses on Thames Street, east of Ann Street.

some houses and businesses at the intersection of Ann and Lancaster Streets.

St. Stanisluas Roman Catholic Church on Ann Street. This church was the cultural community center for the large number of Polish immigrants that settled in the neighborhood.

Businesses on Aliceanna Street.

Businesses on Broadway near the Broadway Market.

The Broadway Market on the meadian of the street. Businesses on the right are on the northbound side of Broadway.

Houses on Shakespeare Street.

1600 Shakespeare Street is known as "The Cottage", which was the kitchen area and slave quarters for the William Fell House.

The William Fell House at 1609 Shakespeare Street. William Fell was the founder of Fells Point. The house, along with the other rowhouses, had a third story added in the early 1800's. When Fells Point began it's renovation, the house was remodelled, including removing the third floor, to looks like the Quaker-style house that it originally looked like when William Fell lived here.

Looking north up Bond Street.