Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper

Mississuaga, Ontario

18 posts in this topic

This is Mississauga, it is a suburb of Toronto. It was incorporated as a city about 30 years when it was nothing more than a collections of small towns surrounded by fields. Current population is about 650,000.

Photos by Doady.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

11/22/06

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Thanks for the photos. Not sure that I would like this place though as it is a bit depressing to look at.

It looks kinda scary, not crime ridden or economically depressed or anything, but it seems like its urban, but with suburban style layout. I think I would hate it...

^ Yeah, I think that kind of describes it. Orginally the downtown was built around a mall, it is kind of in the middle of a transition from suburban to urban so it gives off a wierd vibe. It is still very much a work in progress, will be interesting to see what it looks like in another 30 years.

While these pictures show impressive density and continuing construction, the city seems cold in these photos. While there are actual people in the photo, they seem to be going somewhere else, no streetscape to speak of. Like others said, not sure I'd like to live here.. it does give a strange negative vibe in the photos...

Nice pics Copper. This is a nice study in trying to bring urban principles into a suburban footprint, which is hard to do around a 6 lane thoroughfare. This block looks like it has some nice components to it at street level:

original.jpg

Actually it makes most of the mistakes in that are commonly made in making for a good streetscape. The lack of any pedestrian activity on those streets is proof enough of that.

Actually it makes most of the mistakes in that are commonly made in making for a good streetscape. The lack of any pedestrian activity on those streets is proof enough of that.

This looks like what most developers in Atlanta want Buckhead to look like in a decade.

In the last two photos, what are those things wrapped up in what appears to be burlap? Trees? Lights? Holiday decorations?

I visit Toronto all the time, and to be honest, the architecture gets really boring really fast.

Those are some impressive shots! I love the highrise residential towers, but this city does lack streetlife, as mentioned here before. I don't see many stores either (I guess most people would shop in malls there?).

Odd mix of highrises and 7 lane roadways. Lot's of pedestrians on that 7 lane roadway though.

And I love that little strip mall in the beginning pictures with all the tacky signs. If that thing was built to the street it'd be even better! I don't know why but I loves stuff like that.

How was this region developed? You stated it was nothing more than some small towns and fields, so was it rampant suburban development with one-story flats that became more dense later on?

This would be an interesting study in itself...

The skyline somewhat reminds me of that of some DC suburbs.

first few pictures remnd me of a minor league baseball stadium, ads and billboards everywhere :P

I could see inner ring and second ring 'burbs of America's larger cities looking like these photos 30 to 40 years from now.