Winter is here!

GRDadof3

I saw during the weather report last night that the entire country is going to be plunged into a cold snap this coming weekend, with the coldest temperatures coming Sunday. I believe it was Atlanta that I saw was going to go from an average high in the 70's Thursday down to the 40's Sunday. Yikes! Everyone ready?

Sunday morning's forecast:

T200612031200_us.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw during the weather report last night that the entire country is going to be plunged into a cold snap this coming weekend, with the coldest temperatures coming Sunday. I believe it was Atlanta that I saw was going to go from an average high in the 70's Thursday down to the 40's Sunday. Yikes! Everyone ready?

Sunday morning's forecast:

T200612031200_us.png

Ah, you must be in Columbia. That's all I heard Tuesday: "It's snowing in Columbia!!! They've shut the city down!!!! It's headed this way!!! Go home!!! Go home!!!" You would have thought a blizzard was sweeping through.

We got some ice here as well--for about 20 minutes. Everyone in my office stopped working and just stood at the windows. All I could think about was that my Thanksgiving break was about to start early. Then the sleet stopped...... :angry:

El-Nino here means certain death to winter :(

Our average high right now is 26*F with an average low of 8*F... it's 47*F currently with rolling thunder in the distance.

Temperatures will dip to average before climbing back up above again, no doubt. Even if December is significantly below average, 2006 will be in the top 3 warmest years since 1895.

The Southeast is likely the only region of the country that will see a cool winter with more chances for snow, as is typical in El-Nino years. This El-Nino continues to build, it will likely have an impact more like 1997/98, which was a horrible winter for winter enthusiasts in the midwest (55*F in February!!!!).

:lol: That is a strange map. Do you think it's a typo, and they meant to label the Southern area as "Colder than average"?

The weather is certainly going to be strange here in Michigan and the midwest this week. It's supposed to climb into the 60's today and tomorrow again (I've noticed some perennials around the yard are starting to think it's Spring again and have sprouted buds, oops), and then Friday morning there are computer models (third entry) predicting a record-setting blizzard from Southwest Michigan all the way through Missouri, with 6 - 8 hours of extended heavy snowfall and high winds. :shok:

Luckily South of us. I don't want THAT much snow yet.

This past Monday, just North of Seattle got 10" of snow, and parts of Oregon got up to 46" of snow from this system. It should turn out to be an interesting week.

Anybody can see that many El-Ninos do not follow this pattern. The El-Nino of 2002/03 for example led to very dry conditions across the northern plains, but cold conditions persisted, freezing the whole of lake Superior for the first time in 6 years and led to record setting blizzards and cold in the Northeast.

If you look at the pattern this November so far, it is anything but an El-Nino pattern. Places that benefit from El-Ninos are bone dry (southern California, the desert Southwest) and areas that should be dry and relatively mild are getting pummelled with snow and cold (SE Alaska, the Pacific Northwest).. Mt. Baker ski area in northern Washington has had 144" of snow in the past week.. that's 12 feet. Meanwhile, Juneau, Alaska, has experienced record cold for the past 3 weeks with plenty of snow (over 2 feet on the ground) at a time when there should be little if any snow on the ground and it should be raining for the most part. (temperatures have been below 0*F quite a bit)...

The rest of the nation has had mild/benign conditions thanks to a strong Pacific flow. The jetstream flattens out across the northern part of the nation, so the coast gets slammed with storm after storm and this keeps the cold air locked up in Canada (hence, the cold in Juneau, AK and NW Canada)... this west to east flow keeps arctic air out of the U.S and with system after system coming through that gets starved of precipitation by the mountains, leads to mild, cloudy conditions in the northern plains. ONly when these storms head off hte coast and get moisture again do they ramp up and dump on the east coast.

Seattle is about to set a record for precipitation in November.. which would break the previous record set back in November 1933. If this winter ends up being anything like 1933/34, I won't be so disappointed.

Ugh, The Weather Channel. Not a big fan of them here. I'm a weather nut here and for me NOAA is the only place to go. I do understand that the Weather Channel does have its place though, for those that want overly simple weather and don't really understand or are interested in weather. That's not meant to be mean spirited either. To me the Weather Channel is to weather, what AOL is to the internet. Both have their places, but neither are for me.

I am very much against handing over NOAA to the private industry and then possibly being charged for that info. I do hope that never happens.

Here in N. FL and Tally, El Nino has shown up in our Nov. temps w/this month almost 4 degrees below average, but in rainfall it has not. We are almost 2 inches below normal for the month and Nov. is one of our drier months. In El Nino years we tend to have much more rainfall and lower than average max temps b/c of the cloud cover, but also b/c of that cloud cover, our average minimum temps tend to be higher than normal.

The 6 to 10 day outlook is calling for below normal temps for all but CA and AK.

Not only do I not like Winter and cold temps, but I also don't like the loss of daylight and the low level light in the winter and at this latitude 30 degrees I know that's nothing like what some of what you guys experience. Our earliest sunset here is at 17:35 and that occurs 12.1 to 12.6.

Good explanation post there Snowguy716!

Ugh, The Weather Channel. Not a big fan of them here. I'm a weather nut here and for me NOAA is the only place to go. I do understand that the Weather Channel does have its place though, for those that want overly simple weather and don't really understand or are interested in weather. That's not meant to be mean spirited either. To me the Weather Channel is to weather, what AOL is to the internet. Both have their places, but neither are for me.

I am very much against handing over NOAA to the private industry and then possibly being charged for that info. I do hope that never happens.

Here in N. FL and Tally, El Nino has shown up in our Nov. temps w/this month almost 4 degrees below average, but in rainfall it has not. We are almost 2 inches below normal for the month and Nov. is one of our drier months. In El Nino years we tend to have much more rainfall and lower than average max temps b/c of the cloud cover, but also b/c of that cloud cover, our average minimum temps tend to be higher than normal.

The 6 to 10 day outlook is calling for below normal temps for all but CA and AK.

Not only do I not like Winter and cold temps, but I also don't like the loss of daylight and the low level light in the winter and at this latitude 30 degrees I know that's nothing like what some of what you guys experience. Our earliest sunset here is at 17:35 and that occurs 12.1 to 12.6.

Good explanation post there Snowguy716!

Archived