Winter is here!

GRDadof3

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good explanation there GRDadof3 for an often confusing subject. Also your local forecast has me shivering my in shorts already w/that "downhill all the way" arrow on Thursday. If I lived in GR right now, I'd go to bed on Thursday w/an electric blanket and not get up until after Sunday. :shok:

For some reason, my body clock isn't as affected by late sunrises as much as it is by early sunsets. For the record however, Tally's latest sunrise use to occur from 1.6 to 1.15 at 07:35, but now w/the NEW daylight savings time occurring the second Sunday in March, our latest sunrise will now be at 07:52 on 3.11. But even w/a later sunrise I'm really happy w/the new DST.

Our shortest days of the year really occur from 12.18 to 12.26 (some days are a minute longer then drop back a minute shorter) at 10 hours 10 minutes of daylight. How is it where you guys are?

In Tally we benefit from a lower latitude 30 degrees and also being on the edge of the Eastern Time zone at 84.28 degrees, but still I want MORE light in the winter.

In Bemidji it's a balmy 7*F as a write this. The sun is shining bright, but it's quite windy, so wind chills are in the -10s. It's supposed to be 3*F tonight, but I think it will dip below 0*F, especially since it was supposed to be a high of 18*F today as early as this morning (now they've lowered that to 9*F).

Here's a picture taken at high noon in mid-December 2004:

post-5218-1164825900_thumb.jpg

It was about -25*F in that picture if I remember correctly. The older snow had crystalized and then a bit of fresh snow that had fallen the day before was blowing around on top of it. OH, how I love Minnesota winters!

Edit: If you maximize the picture, you can see ice crystals blowing through the air. It's so cold that the moisture in the air freezes giving the appearance that it's snowing lightly (especially in early morning when light is low).

Not stupid. I hadn't really put much thought into it until this thread. It does set at different times (even in the same time zone) depending on how far North of the equator you are and where you sit within your time zone. For instance, New York's sunset is almost 45 minutes earlier than ours, even though we're in the same time zone (Eastern), because they are about 800 miles East of us. And even though Chicago is much closer to us in Grand Rapids (150 miles "as the crow flies"), they're sunset right now is almost an hour sooner than us because they are in Central Standard Time.

And with you being in Augusta, even though your longitude is further East than Grand Rapids, the sun sets a bit later because you're closer to the equator. Clear as mud right?

post-2672-1164821685_thumb.jpg

Good explanation there GRDadof3 for an often confusing subject.

How is it where you guys are?

In Tally we benefit from a lower latitude 30 degrees and also being on the edge of the Eastern Time zone at 84.28 degrees, but still I want MORE light in the winter.

GRDadof3 looks like your shortest day is 12.21 at 9hrs of daylight. Yeah the solstice is the shortest day but just by seconds usually. Most of that week before and after the solstice is just about the same amount daylight hours.

Sunrise/Sunset times IMHO monsoon IS part of weather. Yeah my windows are open, isn't that the norm for November...well unless you have to turn on the A/C. :P

EDIT after-thought: But seriously, Nov. and March are usually my least expensive Electric/Gas bill and July/Aug are the most expensive. All the years I lived in Ft. Lauderdale the highest months were the same but the lowest were Dec, Jan and Feb.

Yours?

In Bemidji it's a balmy 7*F as a write this. The sun is shining bright, but it's quite windy, so wind chills are in the -10s. It's supposed to be 3*F tonight, but I think it will dip below 0*F, especially since it was supposed to be a high of 18*F today as early as this morning (now they've lowered that to 9*F).

Here's a picture taken at high noon in mid-December 2004:

It was about -25*F in that picture if I remember correctly. The older snow had crystalized and then a bit of fresh snow that had fallen the day before was blowing around on top of it. OH, how I love Minnesota winters!

Edit: If you maximize the picture, you can see ice crystals blowing through the air. It's so cold that the moisture in the air freezes giving the appearance that it's snowing lightly (especially in early morning when light is low).

^

I dunno, the weather is great out there, in some places at least - like Milpitas f'rinstance (been thru there - I've got some family in San Jose, random burbs in Contra Costa and elsewhere out there). My limited experience with the widely varied CA climates was finding that I liked some (Bay area and San Diego) a lot, not so much once you get inland. And even climatologically speaking, LA just seemed to be it's own entity...

But the lack of snow or steam-bath summers or BIG thunderstorms would make me homesick.

Oklahoma and Northern Texas are getting slammed with snow right now. And there are many reports of "thundersnow" in Oklahoma, Iowa and Missouri, which is a combination thunderstorm and snow storm (very rare). I've only witnessed one or two of those, and snow fell at about 3 - 4" per hour. :w00t: Still raining here, snow expected to start this evening.

The worst areas though are those in pink, which is a mix of sleet and freezing rain, then followed by snow. Makes for nice driving.

cur_cen_720x486.jpg

Oklahoma and Northern Texas are getting slammed with snow right now. And there are many reports of "thundersnow" in Oklahoma, Iowa and Missouri, which is a combination thunderstorm and snow storm (very rare). I've only witnessed one or two of those, and snow fell at about 3 - 4" per hour. :w00t: Still raining here, snow expected to start this evening.

If you get a chance GRDadof3 post us a pic or two of when it just begins to turn over to ice and snow. Then a pix when it's really coming down would be cool too. Yeah I know that's askin' a lot and will definitely understand if it can't be done. Love to see anyone's pix of this current weather event if they can post them. I'd do the same but all it's suppose to do here is be cloudy, rain, drizzle and turn cooler into the 40's and maybe 30's at night...nothing you guys aren't seeing now.

Thanks in advance for whatever you guys can show.

California?!? Perfect weather?!? Let's see, outside of flooding which almost everyone in this country can experience there the wildfires, mudslides, fog, and smog. I don't call that perfect.... I don't think anywhere on this planet has "perfect" weather. If it was on the 50 states, I would dare to guess Hawaii!!

Archived