Winter is here!

GRDadof3

Great info, and your Accuweather comments are right on target as well.

It has - thus far - been a fairly typical El Nino autumn in the S Atlantic states; overall it's been a little cooler than the norm (with a couple short very warm spells, but a few record lows as well); Eastern & Central NC have gotten 2-3 times the norm in rainfall though (with records broken in a few places), which I would expect holds true Georgia-to-Maryland across the SE. A few of these storms have been Gulf-origin, or early Nor'easters that deepened off the GA coast, which means that had they come along 6-8 weeks later, we'd have gotten very heavy snow across interior parts of the SE, even with only slightly cooler than normal temps. This was the pattern in some previous El Nino winters down here; most recently 2002/3, which saw the interior Southeast (GA to VA) blasted by a series of snow and ice storms.

We will see how this plays out through the winter down here - El Ninos are often (but as you point out, definitely not always) followed by soggy and (in places) snowy Southern winters, followed by a stormy/severe spring...

I'm a big time weather geek, if it wasn't obvious :lol:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you get a chance GRDadof3 post us a pic or two of when it just begins to turn over to ice and snow. Then a pix when it's really coming down would be cool too. Yeah I know that's askin' a lot and will definitely understand if it can't be done. Love to see anyone's pix of this current weather event if they can post them. I'd do the same but all it's suppose to do here is be cloudy, rain, drizzle and turn cooler into the 40's and maybe 30's at night...nothing you guys aren't seeing now.

Thanks in advance for whatever you guys can show.

Oklahoma and Northern Texas are getting slammed with snow right now. And there are many reports of "thundersnow" in Oklahoma, Iowa and Missouri, which is a combination thunderstorm and snow storm (very rare). I've only witnessed one or two of those, and snow fell at about 3 - 4" per hour. :w00t: Still raining here, snow expected to start this evening.

The worst areas though are those in pink, which is a mix of sleet and freezing rain, then followed by snow. Makes for nice driving.

cur_cen_720x486.jpg

We're now in "Winter Storm Warning" status via the National Weather Service for tomorrow from about 4 AM to 6 PM tomorrow night, and boy has it gotten cold. Some models are predicting 21" of snow in that period for the county just West of us (Muskegon) I highly doubt that. And several INCHES thick of freezing rain South of us to the Indiana border. It looks like we in GR are right on the dividing line.

I'm not sure what to expect tomorrow. :unsure: I'll keep you guys updated.

Cool shot GRDadof3! Thanks. I see you've got your holiday decorations are up already and your yard appears to come w/live Xmas trees already in the yard. :D Tell me is your location N, S, E, or W of the airport?

Thanks for the cam links. I often use different ones in FL to look at when hurricanes are approaching.

Front passed thru here just about an hour ago, can tell by dew point dropping and slight wind shift and drizzle. Temp dropped all the way to 69 degrees. Suppose to get to 48 tonight, will have to bring the orchids inside.

Thanks again!

Cool shot GRDadof3! Thanks. I see you've got your holiday decorations are up already and your yard appears to come w/live Xmas trees already in the yard. :D Tell me is your location N, S, E, or W of the airport?

Thanks for the cam links. I often use different ones in FL to look at when hurricanes are approaching.

Front passed thru here just about an hour ago, can tell by dew point dropping and slight wind shift and drizzle. Temp dropped all the way to 69 degrees. Suppose to get to 48 tonight, will have to bring the orchids inside.

Thanks again!

Awesome pix GRDadof3! I really like your same view/different time period shots. Thanks!

Still 73 here at this hour. :) Although tomorrow we'll only get to the mid-upper 60's and they are now saying we could get our first freeze of the season on Tuesday morn w/temps down near 30. At my house, I get about 7 to 10 freezes per year on average w/ only one every other year on average being a hard freeze. And I thought this was the ARCTIC when I moved up from S FL.

Archived