Winter is here!

GRDadof3

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Temperatures in Bemidji are in the single digits right now with strong winds from the NNW.. wind chills are down near -20*F (keep in mind, this is the new wind chill chart)...

But the 6-10 day outlook from NOAA doesn't look promising to a winter enthusiast..

It's 71 degrees here today, with 70s expected through Sunday or something. How am I supposed to get into my Mariah Carey "Come Home for Christmas" CD when it's 70 degrees outside???!!! Will someone please tell me it's going to cool off or something!!!! Snowguy??? Anybody???

What a difference a year makes.

Last year by this time we had 3 or 4 minor snowstorms. I remember going to my friend's performance of Handel's Messiah one Saturday afternoon, driving through NJ's historic old towns all covered in snow and decorated for the holidays. It was quite a holiday spirit lifting experience.

This year I'll be going to my friend's performance on Sunday afternoon. We have had no snow yet this season (aside from a flurry 2 weeks ago), and it will be 53 degrees and sunny on Sunday! The next time the low temp is expected to hit freezing is next Tuesday! It's absolutely unbelievable and as a result I have not done any holiday decorating or shopping yet!

And perhaps worst of all, there is now snow for the area ski resorts! I've gotten a new carry bag for my skis and I want to use it!

In the Seattle area we are bracing for a nasty winter storm tonite. Intermittent winds are projected to hit 60 MPH. On the Pacific Coast gusts reaching 90MPH are expected (I hope the rain forests don't sustain too much damage)

It's 11 PM PST as I'm writing, and so far it's been tolerable. But squalls, rare in this part of the country, are indeed striking. Keep your fingers crossed for us:)

Archived