Bossier City traffic

dimebag1980

It's no secret that traffic throughout most of Bossier City's major thoroughfares is horrendous. Just take a drive down Airline Drive at ANY time of the day, or drive down Barksdale Blvd., Benton Road, Jimmie Davis Hwy, or Highway 80 during rush hour. No thanks!

Since Bossier's worst traffic problems seem to occur along the Airline Drive and Benton Road corridors, there is a need for another major north-south thoroughfare. In comes... believe it or not... Swan Lake Road. Long known as a country road, and home of the legendary "Ju-Ju Road" stories, Swan Lake Road has been picking up steam lately as a major player in Bossier City's growth. LARGE new subdivisions that have sprung up along that road within the last few years, so far, are: Stonebridge, Tiburon, and Legacy. With all this growth and easy access from Swan Lake Road to both Bossier City and Benton, two new elementary schools are about to be constructed on Swan Lake Road alone. One will be near Stonebridge and the other near Legacy.

The Bossier Parish Police Jury wants to see Swan Lake Road's role in the parish become more important, as they will now have an environmental study done for a proposed link-up of Swan Lake Road with Rarks Road in Benton. This would create a new north-south corridor that would begin at the current start of Swan Lake Road at its intersection with Highway 80 near I-20, and continue all the way to the Cypress Lake area of Benton. People living in the Cypress Lake area would then be able to use Swan Lake Road to get into Bossier City and Haughton without having to drive down Airline Drive or Benton Road.

Work is already underway that will widen two crucial Swan Lake Road intersections. Those intersections are: Swan Lake Road at Viking Drive and Swan Lake Road at Shed Road.

More information about the Bossier Parish Police Jury's plan for Swan Lake Road:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61127031

The above article also says the following:

"The new corridor is part of Bossier’s congestion relief plan, which also includes a new east-west corridor."

This makes me wonder what they have in store for a new east-west corridor in Bossier. Hmmmm...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the plan for Benton Road where they're building the overpasses? How far will the new road extend, and is it designed as limited access?? I saw that back at Labor Day and was a little confused how it's eventually going to work...

It's no secret that traffic throughout most of Bossier City's major thoroughfares is horrendous. Just take a drive down Airline Drive at ANY time of the day, or drive down Barksdale Blvd., Benton Road, Jimmie Davis Hwy, or Highway 80 during rush hour. No thanks!

Since Bossier's worst traffic problems seem to occur along the Airline Drive and Benton Road corridors, there is a need for another major north-south thoroughfare. In comes... believe it or not... Swan Lake Road. Long known as a country road, and home of the legendary "Ju-Ju Road" stories, Swan Lake Road has been picking up steam lately as a major player in Bossier City's growth. LARGE new subdivisions that have sprung up along that road within the last few years, so far, are: Stonebridge, Tiburon, and Legacy. With all this growth and easy access from Swan Lake Road to both Bossier City and Benton, two new elementary schools are about to be constructed on Swan Lake Road alone. One will be near Stonebridge and the other near Legacy.

The Bossier Parish Police Jury wants to see Swan Lake Road's role in the parish become more important, as they will now have an environmental study done for a proposed link-up of Swan Lake Road with Rarks Road in Benton. This would create a new north-south corridor that would begin at the current start of Swan Lake Road at its intersection with Highway 80 near I-20, and continue all the way to the Cypress Lake area of Benton. People living in the Cypress Lake area would then be able to use Swan Lake Road to get into Bossier City and Haughton without having to drive down Airline Drive or Benton Road.

Work is already underway that will widen two crucial Swan Lake Road intersections. Those intersections are: Swan Lake Road at Viking Drive and Swan Lake Road at Shed Road.

More information about the Bossier Parish Police Jury's plan for Swan Lake Road:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61127031

The above article also says the following:

"The new corridor is part of Bossier

^ Yeah, I wish I had some comparison aerials. There are so many new rooftops between Bossier and Benton and I see more every time I'm out there. Even if I'm out there once a week, I see more houses being started. It still amazes me. I think the reason Bossier is so aggressive is because it's the small fish (60,000 people) in the big pond (400,000 people.) They know they have to be aggressive if they're going to grow, but they also have to be smart about it and not allow "just anything." They have been very aggressive in seeing to it that north Bossier's growth will be aesthetically pleasing as well. Many parts of that area, particularly Airline Drive from I-220 to Brownlee Road, remind me of suburban north Dallas. I don't think it's a stretch to say that, because it does very well resemble many suburban north Dallas communities.

I suppose this is the perfect thread for this topic...

Unprecedented Population Boom in Bossier Spurs Road Improvements

Thanks to an increase in population in Bossier City and Parish, many roads are pinned for improvement. Residents of Vanceville Road, which was until recently extremely rural, are wanting their road fixed before any new developments occur. But they may not have to wait long, as the road should be straightened and repaired in the near future.

A new townhome development is also planned for booming Vanceville Road.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...10374/1002/NEWS

Here's another article about the topic that I began this thread with: extending Swan Lake Road. This article is from the Bossier Press-Tribune.

An excerpt from the following article:

"Altimus said there has been a tremendous amount of growth around Cypress Lake and that area, and in order for those residents to get into town they have to either go east to Bellevue Road and come through Haughton, or go west to either Airline Drive or Benton Road."

http://www.nwlanews.com/index.php?option=c...7&Itemid=26

This article says they plan a 4-lane road with shoulders and enough room to widen to 5 lanes later, if needed. This makes me wonder if they're planning to 4-lane the rest of Swan Lake Road as well, all the way to Highway 80. It would only make sense, although I'm wondering if there's enough room to widen the road through the Meadowview-Swan Lake subdivision. I've often thought they're pretty-much constricted by how close those homes come to the road.

I know the Swan Lake Road intersections at Shed Road and at Viking Drive are in the process of being widened already, but I believe all they're doing at those intersections (at least for right now) is adding turn lanes to help with the flow of traffic.

Not really a Bossier City topic, but Haughton which is just next door in Bossier Parish...

I was informed the other day that the new Tuscany Villas and Tuscany Crossing developments near my home have already sold out completely. :shok: Man, that was FAST! Those lots sold like hotcakes; I had no idea so many people were willing to continue moving to Haughton, but I gaurantee you because of the speed at which these lots sold, more developments like this will be coming to Haughton. The market is undoubtedly here, and I predict a residential boom in Haughton of "Benton" proportions. :)

I had no idea that Swan Lake Rd. and Viking Dr. was such a hot area now. When I last lived there, there was really nothing there except warehouse space. Interesting......

I'm going to age myself even further by saying that I remember when the Viking Drive extention was built through to Swan Lake Road. I was in high school at the time or maybe junior high.....

I had no idea that Swan Lake Rd. and Viking Dr. was such a hot area now. When I last lived there, there was really nothing there except warehouse space. Interesting......

I'm going to age myself even further by saying that I remember when the Viking Drive extention was built through to Swan Lake Road. I was in high school at the time or maybe junior high.....

• 2 weeks later...

According to the following article: if you live in rural Bossier Parish, on the fringes of booming Bossier City, you'd better just lay down and take it because it's coming. Those who are complaining about, and resisting, major changes on the fringes of Bossier City have the right to argue their cases, but in most cases they will be unsuccessful because you can't stop a city that's growing as fast as Bossier.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../612100329/1007

A quote from the above-referenced article:

"The city is growing to them and they better get ready for it," says Bossier Parish engineer Butch Ford of a recent residential flareup on Vanceville Road. Two years ago that road was used as a cut-through along mostly uninhabited pasture land to bypass Airline Drive construction. Now it's the site of dozens of houses and perhaps a new town-home development. Prudent bankers see no slow down since three new lending institutions are planning Airline branches in a two-mile stretch south of Linton Road.

According to the following article: if you live in rural Bossier Parish, on the fringes of booming Bossier City, you'd better just lay down and take it because it's coming. Those who are complaining about, and resisting, major changes on the fringes of Bossier City have the right to argue their cases, but in most cases they will be unsuccessful because you can't stop a city that's growing as fast as Bossier.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../612100329/1007

A quote from the above-referenced article:

I've been saying that all along. If Shreveport doesn't change its outward flight pattern, Bossier City will undoubtedly surpass it someday.

Here's another quote from that article, and in my opinion probably the most impressive quote:

The article also says that south Bossier is the next big place to be. With the new tie-in from Shreveport-Barksdale Highway to the ART Parkway in Bossier, and the proposed southern extension of ART to Sligo Road, patterns are beginning to shift in favor of south Bossier being on the front end of a major boom. This will bring about a need for more retail and dining options in south Bossier, which residents in that area are basically screaming for now.

Bossier will never surpass S'port...it just doesnt have the infastructure/highways to handle it and not to mention the trains on Airline/Benton/Barksdale

besides, do people in Bossier REALLY want to be a big city like Shreveport? I wouldnt and I doubt the people who are moving there want that either.

The railroads at major thoroughfares will be less of a problem in the coming years. With the Benton Road overpass and more thoroughfares coming on-board, I just don't see these as being major inhibitors in the next 10 years. But that's all considering how traffic patterns shift and how much money comes about for thoroughfares. I-69's eastern loop around Bossier will be a big player as well, and I'd not be surprised to see an outer loop constructed within my lifetime as more people move further and further north and east of Bossier City.

I disagree, any city that has train tracks on its main city highways (airline and also on barksdale) is already limiting itself for future growth.

As for the new overpass on Benton Rd, sure that will help...a little bit. But What about the area thats going to be next to it? There is a new Porters cleaners that is sure to have to relocate after just remodeling. Also there is a Popes clothing store and a restaurant. That empty Ryans restaurant will never get a tenant and there is a car dealer ship there that will have to close no doubt. Not to many businesses are going to want to be operating under a bridge and will there even be a way for people to get into those businesses? Which makes me wonder whats going to happen to the entrance on Benton Rd to get to the Bossier Civic Center?

I dont suppose anyone has a map or a drawing of what the area is going to look like after the completion of the bridge over Benton rd?

I don't think people in Bossier necessarily want it to get as big as Shreveport, but I really do see it happening. Back in the 50s no one ever saw Shreveport overtaking some of the towns and communities it has and becoming the size of city that it has. But it happened, and there's no looking back.

The bridge is swinging to the west side of Benton Road. I believe the only part of the ramp that will affect Benton Road will be the ramps.

Airline and Barksdale will someday be re-worked... it's got to. Bossier never wanted the kind of growth it's seeing these days, but now that it's going as well as it is, Bossier is loving it. But if they want it to continue, they do have to bypass some of these rail crossings. And building expensive, mile-long overpasses to alienate full blocks of businesses is not the way to go.

Suburban North Bossier communities to be linked by greenbelt area.

Finally! That's what this area needs, more greenbelt areas! This will be a park-like corridor connecting numerous suburban north Bossier communities with the new North Bossier Park and tennis complex via walking trails.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../612110320/1002

Very nice, Bossier! Now, let's build MORE of these and make Shreveport-Bossier a walkable/bikable region! Forth Worth has a beautiful greenbelt area along the Trinity River, and I'd love to see something like that here.

Suburban North Bossier communities to be linked by greenbelt area.

Finally! That's what this area needs, more greenbelt areas! This will be a park-like corridor connecting numerous suburban north Bossier communities with the new North Bossier Park and tennis complex via walking trails.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../612110320/1002

Very nice, Bossier! Now, let's build MORE of these and make Shreveport-Bossier a walkable/bikable region! Forth Worth has a beautiful greenbelt area along the Trinity River, and I'd love to see something like that here.

Archived