2006 Accomplishments

carynative

Since we're rolling into December and the end of 2006, I thought it'd be a good time to gauge our top accomplishments in terms of urban development and the Triangle for this past year.

What are your thoughts as to the most significant projects, openings, initiatives, etc. in terms of urban development for the year?

I'd have to say that the reopening of Fayetteville Street has to be the number one accomplishment in terms of the future of Raleigh. Others would be the destruction of the old civic center and the opening of the grocery store at Seabord.

Also, what do you think may be the most significant "events" to occur in 2007?

Discuss....

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah thats big....I think Blount St will have a bigger overall impact on downtown still. But I like most the organic, even if this organic tastes different than say Durham style organic, development of Glenwood south and the surrounding blocks...a heartbeat all its own indeed...

The passing of Raleigh's Downtown Overlay District will allow for more residential units downtown. Taking parking (somewhat) out of the equation, and giving bonuses for affordable housing (or funds to build it elsewhere), facades, and proximity to transit will hopefully provide smaller, affordable, market rate units the middle class can afford.

F Street's reopening may not be as "organic" as Glenwood South, it was fun to go to Raleigh Wide Open and the Christmas parade on the street. If the Capital Room, Crema, the Big Easy, and Yancy's are signs of what to expect, it will be a destination before the big 2008 openings of the Convention Center/Marriott and RBC Plaza.

The Blount Street/Seaboard Station redevlopments will connect Mordecai and Oakwood with the rest of downtown and Glenwood South, which will hopefully expand the boundaries of DT and increases the number of "downtown" residents.

I am going to go with

1. Fayetteville Street, simply because it re-introduced people (or introduced for the 1st time) to downtown with Raleigh Wide Open.

1a. RBC Plaza and other relocations into DT

2. Seaboard-- I love the rehabilitation of existing areas..adds character

3. DT Durham beginning to really emerge--Piedmont and Rue Cler in downtown Durham--two great restaurants sitting IN (not adjacent to) DT Durham

4. DT Raleigh Famer's market--hopefully a sign of more to come

5. Quorum, Blount Street, and Reynolds--redefining our definition and boundaries of downtown

I don't think it was the biggest true "accomplishment" but Raleigh Wide Open was the best public event I've ever attended in this area in all my years here... most fun, well attended, a great vibe, etc.

Probably luring RBC to DT Raleigh was the number 1 accomplishment, as it probably raised a few eyebrows in the region about DT Raleigh.

Also, I must mention the SparkCon creative conference which I was involved with. The fashion show in Moore Square was amazing and I thought there was a lot of buzz surrounding the event.

Since we're rolling into December and the end of 2006, I thought it'd be a good time to gauge our top accomplishments in terms of urban development and the Triangle for this past year.

What are your thoughts as to the most significant projects, openings, initiatives, etc. in terms of urban development for the year?

I'd have to say that the reopening of Fayetteville Street has to be the number one accomplishment in terms of the future of Raleigh. Others would be the destruction of the old civic center and the opening of the grocery store at Seabord.

Also, what do you think may be the most significant "events" to occur in 2007?

Discuss....

For the Triangle or Raleigh

1) Canes win Stanley Cup

2) RBC building starts

3) New Convention Center tops off

4) Outside of the Quorum, 2 condo complexes (222 and Bloomsbury) actually started and got past the taking deposits

5) F-Street

6) Canes win Stanley Cup

Worst thing for the Triangle

1) TTA did not move forward

Archived