With or without the Siggy tower........

Duke32

If this is a real proposal, i.e build the hotel portion first, then the rest of the tower, the required building permits will quickly give away if this will be the base for a 55+ story building or a 12 story hotel. The engineering differences will be very evident in the design.

Forgetting the technical challenges of doing something such as this, I would be skeptical this is a real plan. Either he is going to build a 12 story building or a 55 story building. I don't see how he could get the hotel to agree to the extra charges for the taller building if there were no guarantees they would get their money back if that portion isn't built. In other words, it doesn't make much economic sense.

On the other hand, maybe the hotel is gambling the publicity of being in one of the tallest buildings in the USA is worth the financial risk. And of course they may have some insider information about the chances of the project getting off the ground that we don't have. So maybe I am not so skeptical as this isn't technologically impossible. If he did in fact phase it, he might end up on Engineering Marvels or something like that on TV. This would no doubt be good for Nashville and make the developer a local hero.

Though I have been critical of this project, I am beginning to believe there is more to it than meets the eye. It's one of the more interesting projects in the country just from that perspective.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really glad to hear that from you. I for one think you usually just speak the truth but come across misunderstood, sometimes because of your position metrom.

I agree that this could signal that he is rather confident the tower portion will happen and this would just give a little more time to get everything secured and sell more units with some ground being turned and progress already being made.

All this reminds me of an old saying that when you find yourself in a hole the first thing to do is stop digging. I know it's an unpopular position here but IMO the sooner he "stops digging" and moves on to something more scalable the sooner he will be in a position to have a REAL groundbreaking.

No this isn't common practice because the foundation, elevator and utility requirements of a 12 story building are hugely different than that of a 55 story building and they can't be added in after the fact. Either it is there or not. It would drive up the cost of the hotel portion immensely and means a big financial risk if the condo tower is in fact not built because that means a lot of it wasn't necessary. I am not even sure how you could build an elevator system in a 12 story building then come back and extend it to 55-60 stories.

What is more common is a project that would have a separate hotel and condo tower if they were not to be built ta the same time. It's my guess if they phase this project then this is most likely what you will see. This will no doubt mean a condo portion that might have the same number of floors as before, but a shorter tower overall.

ok, i am new to this post, but i have done SSC. I am stationed with the navy in jacksonville,fl. this town is sick, it has ZERO skyline, it is too far spaced. First off, glad to see Nashville rising. 2ndly, you cant just write off the Signature Tower, yeah it is bold and seems that it wont happen. It will take time and plenty of planning to get such a grand project off the ground. Look at Atlanta, several high-end condos took a while to plan, wait, then were built, this will happen to Signature, time and it will take lots of it. It is right at 20% reserved, and a new report points to contracts by March, so I'll leave it at that.

I'm not sure where all the opitmism went? It seems to me that the Signautre is still very alive and constantly moving forward. Building a super tower takes time, you cant just announce it one month and start building it the next. I cant wait to see what the naysayers will have to say once this thing gets under way. Then all we will have to hear about is how they dont like the color of the building or how the modern architecture dont fit in with the church that sits a block away.

Archived