New 28 story tower proposed

Bears

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downtown's development should be driven by market forces and not by contracts that specify certain developments should allocate 50% of space to those making 75% of median livable wages..blah, blah, blah.

If One Beale thinks it can be profitable with $1 million+ condos and an out-of-reach hotel for most of us, then that's fine and they should build it. I think the CCC's attempt to override market forces ultimately caused the demise of the original Vue because return on investment of sub-market rate apartments is poor to nil. Hopefully they will reconsider their conditions for this space on Main Street and let the best fit for the market develop there.

^I just think there's demand for affordable apartment living downtown among young adults like myself. And when Memphis can support big projects like One Beale I'm happy. I'm not as much in favor of "overriding market forces" as I am speculating on how downtown might improve as a legitimate residential destination for a larger variety of Memphians. High density apartment buildings like the Vue were what I had in mind, but I'm not suggesting developers incur losses just to fill this void.

Downtown's development should be driven by market forces and not by contracts that specify certain developments should allocate 50% of space to those making 75% of median livable wages..blah, blah, blah.

If One Beale thinks it can be profitable with $1 million+ condos and an out-of-reach hotel for most of us, then that's fine and they should build it. I think the CCC's attempt to override market forces ultimately caused the demise of the original Vue because return on investment of sub-market rate apartments is poor to nil. Hopefully they will reconsider their conditions for this space on Main Street and let the best fit for the market develop there.

The best fit for the market at Main & Gayoso is a condo/ hotel development. Based on the demographics and the large number of tourist that visit downtown Memphis. Another factor is the recent news of hosting NCAA regional games at the FedEx Forum which will demand more hotel space. Let's not forget 2 years ago the NBA told Memphis in order to host a NBA allstar game more hotels were needed in the vicinity of the Forum, you best believe that is a contributing factor for the new proposals at Main & Gayoso.

• 1 month later...

the MDN [article] talks about the 2O story proposal from the minority-owned Riverside Partners. This one calls for 2OO apartments, 14,OOO sq ft. retail, and 39O parking spaces. The rendering in the article looks like a shorter, fatter Vue---or basically the same as the original 2OO3 Gayoso Place proposal. Why not put this one down the street somewhere and put the nicer 28 story condo/hotel on the Vue site?

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at emporis today and I saw where they had posted the Riverview on Gayoso as a proposed project. Is this the project that the city has decided to with? Did they even entertain the other proposals or did they just pick this one because it had the most minority backing? To me it shouldn't matter which one has the most minority backing as long as it fits in best with downtown and can stimulate growth, but maybe this is the best proposal to do just that. Perhaps I am just a little unhappy the developers couldn't at least come up with an original design on their own rather than stealing architecture from the vue, which really didn't stand out that much from the get go.

Though I could be a little biased because I liked the idea of having a Hotel Monaco in memphis. There are not many of these around the country and they are class A hotels, plus they are going to put a Hotel Palomar in Nashville's signature tower which is a step below Hotel Monaco.

I was looking at emporis today and I saw where they had posted the Riverview on Gayoso as a proposed project. Is this the project that the city has decided to with? Did they even entertain the other proposals or did they just pick this one because it had the most minority backing? To me it shouldn't matter which one has the most minority backing as long as it fits in best with downtown and can stimulate growth, but maybe this is the best proposal to do just that. Perhaps I am just a little unhappy the developers couldn't at least come up with an original design on their own rather than stealing architecture from the vue, which really didn't stand out that much from the get go.

Though I could be a little biased because I liked the idea of having a Hotel Monaco in memphis. There are not many of these around the country and they are class A hotels, plus they are going to put a Hotel Palomar in Nashville's signature tower which is a step below Hotel Monaco.

I was looking at emporis today and I saw where they had posted the Riverview on Gayoso as a proposed project. Is this the project that the city has decided to with? Did they even entertain the other proposals or did they just pick this one because it had the most minority backing?

• 3 months later...
Of course my favorite is the 28 story mixed-use building by EFO Residential Partners, but the other two 20+ are great too since they include hotels which Memphis needs a lot more of. I don't mind any of those being built there, but the original 5 story and garage design definitly does not need to be built at all. It would be a waist of space in such a prime location.

Archived