New 28 story tower proposed

Bears

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable. I hope for the city's sake that the other projects choose other locations. I would hate for this to discourage anybody ambitious enough to propose such an idea. Is it the CCC's intention to keep the city short? I think one of the big reasons was that since the Vue was canceled they decided to rush into a project that would be less expensive and fast to produce. Why choose a fail-safe project that is short and cheap, then to wait and use this prime real estate for what it was meant for and deserves. I wonder if they have lost their vision and faith for downtown. This city doesn't deserve this project, and I think that the CCC really disrespected Memphis today.

Unbelievable. I hope for the city's sake that the other projects choose other locations. I would hate for this to discourage anybody ambitious enough to propose such an idea. Is it the CCC's intention to keep the city short? I think one of the big reasons was that since the Vue was canceled they decided to rush into a project that would be less expensive and fast to produce. Why choose a fail-safe project that is short and cheap, then to wait and use this prime real estate for what it was meant for and deserves. I wonder if they have lost their vision and faith for downtown. This city doesn't deserve this project, and I think that the CCC really disrespected Memphis today.

I'm not sure what else can be done. Seems that Memphis has such a small town mentality and a lack of vision. I think this leads to doubts that something like One Beale will really happen. At least One Beale has approval. But I wonder if people in the government, DPA, and CCC have a proper vision of what an urban downtown could and should be. Do you think something like this would happen in Manhattan? Boston? Chicago? Would Donald Trump have built a 5 story property in NYC? This was prime real estate on Main Street and just near Peabody Place (which has recently lost tenants like IH and TR). A tower like an 28 story Aloft Hotel plus residences would have generated foot traffic to Main Street which is struggling and supposed to be a "demostration block" as well as foot traffic to Peabody Place from apartment residence AND tourist/prople from out of town. What a tremendous mistake and lack of vision. If you feel this was a wrong decision it won't help if we choose to remain silent and not express our own vision for Memphis. Maybe they need to read this forum (but I doubt they even know about it or that it exists.

Indeed, and that includes surface parking lots as well. The more developers decide to put up low-rise developments, the less likely the potential that Downtown will ever get another high-rise in the future. Add to that, you still have the mentality issue of residents living Downtown, who don't want to see high-rise structures get built in their backyards. Ask the people down at Founders' Pointe who would love to see the Horizon Towers fail to get built.

Archived