Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

urbanbna

Heavy Rail or what?

9 posts in this topic

I had a quick question, because I have searched everywhere and can not find a solid answer.

Is SF's mass transit system, BART and MUNI individually, be considered heavy rail?

BART is a heavy rail system. Muni is light rail.

Yeah, I'd agree that BART isn't quite heavy rail, but it's certainly not light rail. It's kind of a cross between heavy rail and a subway. Maybe more like Washington's subway.

Any other good BART comparisons in the world today?

Thus sayeth Wikipedia:

Light in this context is used in the sense of "intended for light loads and fast movement", rather than referring to physical weight, since the vehicles often weigh more than those on so-called heavy rail systems.

Well, CalTrain (aside from the express trains) do not move overly fast. It took me roughly an hour to go from Belmont into King/4th Street on CalTrain. Also, these are double-decker passenger cars being pulled by deisel locomotives. That's heavy rail in my book.

Call me crazy, but I thought the difference is really drawn in the source of locomotion (i.e. diesel/steam engine vs. electric vs. cable pulley vs. whatever else you can think of). With that being said, CalTrain would be considered heavy rail whereas Muni would be considered Light Rail/Cable Cars. BART, since it is propelled by electricity, I would throw into the light rail category as well.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, yollo! It does help.

Here's a photo: CalTrain at Belmont Station:

1397427304_673053fe5c_b.jpg