Atlantic Park (Under Construction)

vdogg

I agree. Studies to study whether a study is appropriate. Remember the 31st Street Hilton and what an “outrage” that city money was used in its construction? And now all of the northern end of the Oceanfront nearby is being redeveloped and new hotels going up. I believe it was Nashville who told our city council that they didn’t vote on light rail.  They knew what would benefit the city and went ahead with funding. Our timid leaders need to step up and big time.

• Like 2

I attended the Planning Meeting at the Convention Center tonight and there was a huge turnout and everyone seemed very receptive. It was broken into two parts - presentation by the city and Venture and an input portion. The presentation outlined the six uses proposed:  the surf park, theater, retail, residential, office, and parking. The surf park would be open year round and cost $45/hr. They compared the proposed theater to the Anthem that just opened in DC (supposed to have flexible seating arrangements) and estimated 250+ events a year.  Retail components mentioned as possibilities were 'destination' shops (Lego & National Geographic were examples), a botique bowling alley, smaller movie theater (iPic as an example), and unique restaurants. Residential could be apartments or condos but IMO are certain to be apartments. No hotel in the proposal. 

IMG_0297.thumb.JPG.afc9b12ed94e3d970effce9458e2b72a.JPGIMG_0298.thumb.JPG.bd2bca0d1b9f8e06fbc53982994d49f0.JPG

• Like 3

Just reading the article on WAVY10 cracked me up, especially the last paragraph: " “I’m sick and tired of tourism, all of our money going to private developers,” said Barbara Messner."

So she's sick and tired of tourism.... in Virginia Beach.... Makes sense.

http://wavy.com/2018/01/31/mixed-reaction-over-dome-site-proposal-at-public-meeting/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WAVY_TV_10

• Haha 2

On 2/1/2018 at 5:56 AM, zeppelin14 said:

Just reading the article on WAVY10 cracked me up, especially the last paragraph: " “I’m sick and tired of tourism, all of our money going to private developers,” said Barbara Messner."

So she's sick and tired of tourism.... in Virginia Beach.... Makes sense.

http://wavy.com/2018/01/31/mixed-reaction-over-dome-site-proposal-at-public-meeting/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WAVY_TV_10

A great example why Virginia's whole city and county laws are messed up. There shouldn't be a need for duplicate services, and Hampton Roads should have been a collection of cities and towns surrounded by county land. That way people like Barbara that lived in suburbia would be in unincorporated land, and the town of Virginia Beach would mostly be the oceanfront and surrounding area, thus making the strip its downtown and could focus on tourism without having do deal with people from the unincorporated parts.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

2 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

I agree this may actually come to fruition which is really exicting for an area that as sat empty for decades. Honestly this isn't a bad development either however, does it really bring year round tourism? 

The goal is year round traffic in general - not just tourism.  They mentioned renting body suits (as well as the water being heated) to ensure year round traffic.  Furthermore, the apartments create additional year round residency and the music venue would seek to attract performers year round.  And there is also the office component to add year round employment.

Edited by 23320

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, vdogg said:

Nothing will ever get done in this town....Ever.

Sadly that seems to be true, not much has changed there since I moved away at the end of 2001 beyond a handful of urban blocks being built in Pembroke and a few new hotels along the oceanfront I may or may not notice. I remember getting confused a few times from a few roads being widened and corrected, but that is about it, everything else looked the same or aged.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't want to see one more article out of the pilot that does not have the words "funding secured" or "construction start date". Not one. I'm so tired of these recycled studies and stories. Just build it already. We've been at this for 20 years. <_<

• Like 1

Virginia Beach: 2038

The Dome site is still a parking lot. Each year there’s been an ambitious project, with numerous false starts. But each one gets shelved indefinitely because the dozens of studies make VB realize it’s too expensive for taxpayers. 

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1

Study of 244 pages = $200K

I scrolled very quickly through the study...it's a lot of stuff that could be found just surfing the internet. But I didn't notice them provide any numbers for any existing surfing type entertainment facilities around the US/World. I know they say, "Nothing like this anywhere else"...which is always a  great "go to" phrase when you're selling something. But the various components within the project have been built elsewhere just not ALL in one place. Why not provide those numbers for the surfing component as well? What's the demand look like? Is it a huge draw and/or profitable?  Also, it doesn't take a study to figure out the entertainment part would pull from other similar sized venues in HR. New office buildings and condos/houses always pull from other "older" buildings/neighborhoods. That's just what happens. We all go to the newest grocery store, restaurant, and tap house and so on...because it's new. 

Long story short, I think this will be built mainly because the city wants it. It will be profitably with or without Pharrell and will be a tourist destination for years to come.  Honestly, they could build this in just about any major city in the US and it would work if managed/marketed correctly. Pharrell being a part of this is just more icing on the cake. He appeals to that target age group they are going after, has money and is a local/national celeb. I live in VB but personally I would only visit it a few times a year if that. As with almost everything at the beach...it's a tourist destination/trap. Nothing wrong with that at all, it helps VB financially and will benefit me and my quality of life at some point. 

• Like 2

Honestly, I think this might actually be the one. This time just seems different, I'm just being impatient because it's been going on for so long. We NEED a win, after every other major project has failed to come to fruition. It looks like the renderings have changed significantly. Especially the location of the high-rise, it is now closer to the oceanfront.

All things being equal, the new Dome design is absolutely stunning. It's the type of modern architecture we don't get to see around here often. Hoping they don't change a single thing about that design.

• Like 2

• vdogg pinned this topic
On 8/16/2018 at 4:42 PM, vdogg said:

Honestly, I think this might actually be the one. This time just seems different, I'm just being impatient because it's been going on for so long. We NEED a win, after every other major project has failed to come to fruition. I will know, that the renderings have changed significantly. Especially the location of the high-rise, it is now closer to the oceanfront.

All things being equal, the new Dome design is absolutely stunning. It's the type of modern architecture we don't get to see around here often. Hoping they don't change a single thing about that design.

This is a important comment, I feel like anything that goes on the Dome site should be as cutting edge modern as the Dome was when it was constructed. It was a unique piece of architecture at its time.

• Like 1