Atlantic Park (Under Construction)

vdogg

Do we know who the construction company for the project is yet?  I wouldn't be surprised if it's Armada Hoffler as they've been partnering with Venture on a couple projects as of late (including the Military Circle proposal) and Armada Hoffler's current project at the oceanfront (27th street apartments) is set to wrap up in the third quarter of the year.  That lines up nicely with the proposed starting date of this project, but we'll see.

Here's the link to the marketing flyer that Venture put out with the site plan at the bottom: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BKabq2qoAGsqakekAH6X7MAhM5t2gA_8/view?usp=sharing

I know the presentation itself is from 2020, but I wonder how old this particular rendering is, to still have the proposed arena? That fell through in what, 2017? I'm guessing the film and sound studio is through Pharrell.

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 9.01.51 PM.png

• 1 month later...

Project has gone back before the planning department, for what exactly I don’t know. There is a note that it has been deferred for 30 days at the request of the developer so that they can complete a parking and traffic study.

18 hours ago, vdogg said:

Project has gone back before the planning department, for what exactly I don’t know. There is a note that it has been deferred for 30 days at the request of the developer so that they can complete a parking and traffic study.

I'm thinking this is why.... Neighbors demanded parking plan/study.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/virginia-beach-neighborhood-wants-parking-plan-for-atlantic-park-project/ar-BB1fk1SN

• 3 weeks later...

Several items associated with Atlantic Park are on the June 9th docket. Things mentioned are nightclubs, restaurants, breweries, surf park, and mixed use development. Should be renderings coming up within the next week.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Groundbreaking first quarter of 2022. Good to finally have a firm date, but wish they were breaking ground this year. I'm ecstatic though that it looks like we'll finally get one of these proposals across the finish line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is an office building in the pre-design stage that will be added to the Atlantic Park development. I believe this was mentioned as a *possibility earlier but this is now officially a thing. Do not expect the office building to be built until a later phase.

• 1 month later...

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-surf-park-delayed-0921-20210920-nlh4c32wdbbqdjlzn5bz2ch5vi-story.html

This week, the developer is supposed toadvance to the next phase: finalizing construction plans.

That’s not going to happen on time, says City Manager Patrick Duhaney, who blamed rising material costs in a letter to the City Council on Friday.

Because of the delays, the City Council will vote on extending the development agreement next month. It may include allowing the developer with more time to secure financing, according to Duhaney’s letter.

• Sad 1

I swear if this falls through AGAIN at the last minute… I’m sorry, but other areas don’t have anywhere near the trouble getting projects financed as we do in HR. It’s just dumbfounding to me, this project is basically a home run. It’ll practically print money if they can get the thing out of the ground. Starting to question that start of 2022 groundbreaking.,,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

Completely unrelated. I'm sad about SITW too, but it has no bearing on the completion of this project. He's a backer and an investor, but Venture Realty is the lead. He couldn't pull it if he wanted to, and I'm certain that whatever funds he has already contributed are contractually obligated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One problem (IMO) is that VB wants to have its cake and eat it too, but really please the NIMBYs more than anything. The Reid Greenmun and Kerry Dougherty types. Thing is, those types of people are in the minority and hate any kind of progress, and would complain if the city put up a light pole because that costs money. To them, sure it brightens up a sketchy street, but it also costs money.

You want to be a year-round beach resort, but you also want to be a squeaky-clean, family-friendly destination. You're a BEACH! I'm not saying the Strip gotta turn into a Girls Gone Wild video, but it shouldn't be Disneyworld either. I get that you don't want a repeat of Greekfest, and honestly, that was the first time the city should've had a "Come Together" community moment, assuming they didn't do so. Instead of remedying the racial profiling and subsequent riots, they went all in with the dress code and no cussing signs.

The other problem is that the city is notorious for not wanting to spend any money. If you want to grow, you gotta take a chance. You have a vacant parking lot that still remains vacant nearly 30 years later. There are grownups who only know that area as a parking lot. I'm 38...it's been a parking lot since I was in middle school. Having visited Miami, Vegas, LA, and Tampa, I promise you can have a resort with a little action without corrupting the children's minds. Not that the kids would get it anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2021 at 4:22 PM, BFG said:

One problem (IMO) is that VB wants to have its cake and eat it too, but really please the NIMBYs more than anything. The Reid Greenmun and Kerry Dougherty types. Thing is, those types of people are in the minority and hate any kind of progress, and would complain if the city put up a light pole because that costs money. To them, sure it brightens up a sketchy street, but it also costs money.

You want to be a year-round beach resort, but you also want to be a squeaky-clean, family-friendly destination. You're a BEACH! I'm not saying the Strip gotta turn into a Girls Gone Wild video, but it shouldn't be Disneyworld either. I get that you don't want a repeat of Greekfest, and honestly, that was the first time the city should've had a "Come Together" community moment, assuming they didn't do so. Instead of remedying the racial profiling and subsequent riots, they went all in with the dress code and no cussing signs.

The other problem is that the city is notorious for not wanting to spend any money. If you want to grow, you gotta take a chance. You have a vacant parking lot that still remains vacant nearly 30 years later. There are grownups who only know that area as a parking lot. I'm 38...it's been a parking lot since I was in middle school. Having visited Miami, Vegas, LA, and Tampa, I promise you can have a resort with a little action without corrupting the children's minds. Not that the kids would get it anyway.

This is why it was a mistake for Virginia to make itself in a way that cities and counties can't work together. Virginia Beach should have just been the strip, Duck's Head, and maybe First Colonial with the rest of the city just being county and other towns.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently there's a hold up on the city end now? Really wish the pilot dug into that further. Is it a permit issue?

https://www.pilotonline.com/celebrity/vp-nw-pharrell-forum-1029-20211029-4rgq3cwbwrcq5na5odio3yf2ni-story.html

""Williams also said his partnership in the Atlantic Park project at the Oceanfront, which will feature a surf park and entertainment center, is hanging in the balance as he waits for Virginia Beach to move the project forward.

“I’m disappointed at how long its taken to get done,” Williams said during the interview. “Now is a moment where I get to see where the local government, city-wise, I get to see where their heart’s at, where their minds are. If we get the support that we deserve, then I’ll know.""

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting interview into some of the issues with Atlantic Park and developing projects in Virginia Beach.

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/the-visionary/?oly_enc_id=8808E7437578H0S

" it’s destined to be a big attraction for the Oceanfront and the ViBe [Creative] District, we were met with a lot of resistance. The resistance that we were met with was in terms of things that inhibited the momentum.

We were met with differing philosophy — down to what direction the Oceanfront should go … and we were met with, at certain times, just full-on stagnancy."

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I respect the fact that he’s trying to rebuild and get past the Good Ol Boy mentality that reigns supreme in VB. The city could be so much bigger if the old guard would trust the next generation more. Eager to see his vision for both VB and Norfolk. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The oceanfront desperately needs this project and it is so disappointing how long we just sit around in limbo on these sort of projects just to ultimately be disappointed in the end. I just don’t understand how were already getting into 2022 and there’s not even discussion about this entertainment complex or any other major revitalization projects. From Rudee Inlet to the Pier to 31St and especially this Dome Site, there are countless underutilized surface lots that IMO bring down the appeal of the “resort” area. It is a miracle that VB can bring in so many tourists during peak season with such limited entertainment in the Oceanfront and I think that unless we can pull of these “game- changer” sort of projects, we will never see VB rise to the level of prominence that we all imagine and wish for in the not too distant future. However, after all the disappointment over the years w/ LRT and the arena and everything else we’ve gotten our hopes up over, I just don’t know how much longer I can keep the hope alive for a bigger and better VB. It’s especially frustrating because in some aspects, the city has exceeded expectations and improved at a respectable rate, and there are signs that more developments will be announced soon. However, it always somehow feels like new developments or improvements are things that should have and have happened in other cities years ago. Like Pharrell in the article stated, Virginia is a pretty strong state right now. Urban development especially multi family and mixed use retail are starting to spread all over Virginia cities. You’d think that VB and NFK would be leading the way, rather than seemingly playing catch-up and appearing to grow  at a slower rate than our peer cities, waiting for outside investment from “real cities” before we realize the value right in our backyard. Kudos to Pharrell though for keeping the hope alive and at least the conversation and discussion going so that maybe the next generation will see the vision that people like him and those that care have laid. 

• Like 4