Atlantic Park (Under Construction)

vdogg

I don’t understand how one of the most popular tourist destinations on the East Coast continues to fall short in the homestretch. The arena, the convention center hotel, the proposed pier, 30 years of the Dome site. These are all things you should have no issues building because you’ll make the money back in tourism.

Norfolk baffles me for the same reason. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

Norfolk is baffling but VB is way worse. VB can't even build on a parking lot. And the Rudee Loop has been talked about as well for years! Compared to other beach resorts and cities, VB is flat out boring.

I have to agree with you, the Rudee Loop should have at least one all inclusive resort taking up much of that area. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, urbanlife said:

I have to agree with you, the Rudee Loop should have at least one all inclusive resort taking up much of that area. 

I'd be happy with high end condos with some first floor retail and integrated parking garage.  The rest of the loop could be set up as a beach stage for the summer. Things get built, city makes money, we get a new outdoor venue. We all win!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Dome portion looks like it’s been redesigned and not for the better. I was hoping they’d keep the curvy design of the original renderings because that looked quite modern and sleek. Now it looks a bit boxy. Happy this appears to be moving forward if they’ve gotten to this point though. We may actually see this one cross the finish line.

• Like 2

There was a closed session today to discuss the awarding of a public contract to Atlantic Park. This, combined with items just recently added to planning, seems to indicate that AP has passed the last hurdle and we are finally proceeding to construction. This has been a long time in coming, and hopefully an indication to others that Virginia Beach really can get big things done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone here have an “in” at camp PW or Venture? These folks and City staff  aren’t really keen to discuss specfics here, especially what might happened to the “new Dome” design. Would not be shocked if the cool factor had been value engineered out, especially in light of skyrocketing construction costs.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 7:59 PM, baobabs727 said:

Anyone here have an “in” at camp PW or Venture? These folks and City staff  aren’t really keen to discuss specfics here, especially what might happened to the “new Dome” design. Would not be shocked if the cool factor had been value engineered out, especially in light of skyrocketing construction costs.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t us at the Department of Planning & Community Development who pushed an alteration to the design in terms of the Dome looking uglier now. Haha my colleague who was reviewing the plan called me over to discuss the change when the developer initially submitted the revision and we were definitely less than enthusiastic about how it looked. I’m sure there were higher-level behind-the-scenes discussions between all parties that lead to it (completely unsure; above my pay grade), but as others have said, at least it’s moving forward. 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 11:54 AM, BFG said:

I respect the fact that he’s trying to rebuild and get past the Good Ol Boy mentality that reigns supreme in VB. The city could be so much bigger if the old guard would trust the next generation more. Eager to see his vision for both VB and Norfolk. 

Well, obviously he just needs to get his paper right. Period. What he said way back last year in that other quote around here somewhere about impeded momentum this and local resistance  that, stagnation this and how long it has taken...to get this done...that. Well... go get your damn money up Pharrell, and then come back and talk to the media.  Maybe then I'll listen.  There is no local resistance, no impediments.  It's ALL in his and Venture's court now baby. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 11:54 AM, BFG said:

I respect the fact that he’s trying to rebuild and get past the Good Ol Boy mentality that reigns supreme in VB. The city could be so much bigger if the old guard would trust the next generation more. Eager to see his vision for both VB and Norfolk. 

It’s frustrating for sure how untrusted us Millennials are. Still viewed as “children” even though we are now approaching our 30s and 40s.

It’s the classic “people ordering for the table as they’re leaving the restaurant” conundrum. Everyone in power is old and about to die but are enacting lasting decisions based on what they want, contrary to what younger generations need, and they won’t be around for the consequences; we will be forced to deal with them.

TL;DR: Pass the torch!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lluck002 said:

It’s frustrating for sure how untrusted us Millennials are. Still viewed as “children” even though we are now approaching our 30s and 40s.

It’s the classic “people ordering for the table as they’re leaving the restaurant” conundrum. Everyone in power is old and about to die but are enacting lasting decisions based on what they want, contrary to what younger generations need, and they won’t be around for the consequences; we will be forced to deal with them.

TL;DR: Pass the torch!

As a GenXer, I feel ya. We have been trying to push out the dinosaurs, but it has been a lifelong struggle. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/a-new-look-at-va-beachs-atlantic-park/

The $350 million Atlantic Park surf park development planned for Virginia Beach’s Oceanfront will start construction in October or early November, developers told Virginia Business this week. Virginia Beach-based Venture Realty Group also shared new renderings of the project, which Venture has been co-developing with music icon and Virginia Beach native Pharrell Williams.

We might finally finally be onto something here. 

• Like 4

On 6/12/2022 at 2:10 AM, urbanlife said:

As a GenXer, I feel ya. We have been trying to push out the dinosaurs, but it has been a lifelong struggle. 

As a fellow Gen-Xer, I don’t get the sense that most of us had the hubris to think that we deserved their spot. YMMV. We followed the “greatest generation” and the the baby boomers, so we never really had much of a chance. 

• Like 1